24" bass drums: Should I be afraid?

Should I get the 24" bass?

• Total voters

kip

DFO Master
Reaction score
i played a 22 from 1982 to 2008/9

I got a used kit w 13,16,24 ....and I have to say ...

I LOVE the 24!!!!

I also have a 26, but for me right now, and for the last few years, the 24 is THE drum for me.

If i wear to buy a new kit, it would be a 13,16, w 24 kick.....

not TOO big...., doesn't take up really much room then the 22 (14" depth for me on kicks!)

When i did bring the 24 home the first time it LOOKED HUGE, but it took less then an evening to get comfortable w it

its my GO TO kick these days!

you can pry my 24 kick out of my cold dead hands!!!!!
:cool:
-Kip

TommyWells

Pro/Founder
Reaction score
I'll be the voice of reason..... What kind of music are you playing? The 24 is a great rock size, as well as big band. My favorite funk records are usually tracked with 22s and even 20s. ( The early Tower of Power stuff was a Slingerland 20.) For small group jazz, I like the 20s and 18s. Let the music give you the answer... maybe you need more than one bass drum. :icon_smile:

kip

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'll be the voice of reason..... What kind of music are you playing? The 24 is a great rock size, as well as big band. My favorite funk records are usually tracked with 22s and even 20s. ( The early Tower of Power stuff was a Slingerland 20.) For small group jazz, I like the 20s and 18s. Let the music give you the answer... maybe you need more than one bass drum. :icon_smile:

Tommy,

If you're going to get all logical and use reason when talking about drums....where's the fun in that??????? <_<

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
I've used my three ply 24 at several jams in several very different rooms, and it delivers. The last time was in a larger room with an SK1 batter, and the amount of low end and presence that it produced was gratifying in the extreme. I had the opportunity to hear a couple of other guys play that kit, which I don't get to do very often, and the kick really stood out.
Get the 24! Classic Maples are not that heavy---not like my 80's era Classics, which weigh a ton.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
24 is nice. Its a stage I keep going back to and I usually have one around the house.I like mine tweeked a bit tighter than normal. The thin shelled Rogers are dynamite.

sleepykeith

Reaction score
Your story sounds very familiar! In 2007 I hadn't bought a new kit before either, and was also looking at some Ludwig CMs, trying to decide between a 22 and a 24. I went with the 24:

View attachment 94348

I have to admit though that it did take me a while to get used to the 24, playing-wise, aesthetically, etc. Now these are my favorite gigging drums.

when i order my classic maples (some day) it will be this exact kit (except in black lacquer). :)
get the 24"

TommyWells

Pro/Founder
Reaction score
BTW: I have two (2) 24" bass drums. 14 and 18 depths. They sound great. But I don't use them for everything. Just when it fits. When I NEED the boom. For example: When I play Patsy Cline's drummer in Country royalty, I DON"T need the 24. The bass drum is so minimal in that music, we don't even mic the bass drum in a 2500 seat auditorium. We DO use the DanElectro tic tac bass, though. Which is historically accurate. But when I play with Jimmy Hall, (Wet Willie,) at a festival or large venue, I play the big drums. (I used to play the 26, but it puts my rack tom farther to the left, and I have gone to the 24s all of the time, now. )

A J

DFO Master
Reaction score
I owned a 16 x 24 for about 15 years and finally sold it about a year ago. Yes, it had a nice tone and plenty of "boom", but not any better or worse than my 20 and 22 inch drums, just different. Here's why I won't own another 24" bass drum or larger:

It's hard to fit on small stages, encroaches on valuable "stage real estate" and is impossible to fit in many cars. When gigging you feel as though you're moving a refrigerator everywhere you go. My 24" bass drum sat in my house lonely and sad while the other two drums (mainly the 20") got all the action. Besides, my Shure Beta 52 drum mic is the great equalizer that can make my little 20" sound as big as I want.

For me, owning a bass drum large enough to have its own zip code is more "show" than "go". It looks really cool on stage until it's time to move it. If I were a pro, like some of you guys, I'd definitely have a larger variety of drums including a 24" bass drum, but for an average bar band drummer like me, it's not necessary.

Snaffoo

Dental Floss Tycoon
Reaction score
I have three Pearl Masters Custom MRX (6 ply 7.5mm) kicks, 18x24, 18x22 and a 16x20. My favorite kick of the three to play is the 24 for it's feel and sound!

I've never played a 16x24 or a 14x24 but I'm looking forward to the day.

Scott

BrianOwens

Drumsforever
Reaction score
I'm about to buy a new kit. Ludwig classic maple.

I've bought a lot of kits, but I've never bought a NEW kit.

I've never had a 24" bass drum.

I've had a lot of 20" and 22" bass drums, but never a 24" bass drum.

Should I do it (14x24"), or just go with the 14x22? Why or why not? Potential benefits/problems?

Thanks!

I have owned 16" through 24" BDs and IMO you have to own a 24" at least once to feel and hear the BOOM!

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My main gigging kit (Premier Genista) initially had a 22" kick. A few years ago I found another Genista w/two 24" kicks, so I bought it and sold off the duplicate sizes and kept one of the 24's. It wasn't long before I sold off the 22" because it just sat at home. The 24" just sounded and felt better to me.

AJ hit on a good point w/the space issue: the 24" takes up a LOT of real estate in small venues. It doesn't help that I gig w/a six piece band, so space is at a premium. Recently I bought a matching 20" kick (my first 20", BTW) that I'm looking forward to trying out in those smaller rooms.

Mike

TommyWells

Pro/Founder
Reaction score
The 24 is great, but it is NOT the only size. Right tool for the job. Sometimes the 24 is the right tool. Sometimes not.

Leffler

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great responses and dialogue. Thanks everyone. The poll is 29 to 3 right now in favor of the 24". I think you've convinced me, but I appreciate those of you who commented about the drawbacks, too.

On the con side, I was thinking 1. It's harder to lug around. 2. It might take up more space than it's worth. 3. I might have problems adjusting the rack tom with that big bass drum in the way. 4. If (and I hope it's years from now) I have to sell it, it's a pain to ship a 24"

On the pro side, I was thinking 1. I've never had one. It would be fun. 2. It's more unique. 20 years from now, a 24" might be more rare than your average 22".

But I feel more comforable with the risks now, thanks to your responses.

sleepykeith

Reaction score
I've been seeing a lot more 24's lately... atleast with classic maples. I'm beginning to think 24" is the new 22".