24" bass drums: Should I be afraid?

Should I get the 24" bass?

• Total voters

dxtr

Reaction score
I have yet to get mine but I've heard a lot of great things.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-62454.html

I actually asked at drummerworld forum the same thing so check out some of the answers over there!

homeby5

DFO Star
Reaction score
I have large and small kick drums. 90% of the time the big kick goes out on a gig. I know Tommy's right about needing different drums for different jobs, but if you can only afford one size, get the larger. Like Chris says, you can make larger kicks sound smaller but not vice versa.

ataboc

Reaction score
I've only ever owned 24" kicks.

everything else looks and feels, tiny

Dave H.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I will be bringing a 16" X 24" GMS & a 14" X 28" Ludwig to forum fest for sale. Both kits sound great. Ludwigs have a 10"X14" & 16" X 16" toms & the GMS set has a 9" X 12 & 16" X 18 toms. Don't fear large drums, they are your friends.
DBH :occasion5:

Patrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Although at an entirely different place in my career than Tommy, I agree with all his points. I love the sound of the 24 for most things, but on some gigs it is too much --no matter how wonderful it sounds.

I tend to go between 20 and 24. Sometimes hauling out an 18. The only 22" I have is on my practice kit (old Rogers kick in need of some work).

Disadvantages of 24"s have only been alluded to because this has been a love fest by and large:

1. Heavy going down stairs.
2. Big at the end of your arm
3. Big going through doorways
4. Heavy going up stairs
5. Playability and ergonomics: fact of life, your set up will need to be higher than with a smaller kick.
6. Ancillary costs (cases, heads, physiotherapy, etc.)
7. Did I mention heavy?

Those are the disadvantages I wrestle with. Still, I too am an aficionado. They do add a sonic authority in louder situations that you cannot muster with a 20.

Patrick

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
My 14x24 mid 70's three ply weighs just about the same as my 16x22 Classic Birch. Just sayin'....

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I either need to lose some weight or get bigger drums that will make me look smaller in comparison. Maybe I can burn some more calories by hauling a bigger bass drum around. :drunken:

Putting aside the issues of weight and fitting the drum onto the stage and in the car, I do think bigger bass drums not only look cool but give you more to work with. I own 20 and 22 inch bass drums only at this time, but I have had plenty of time playing on borrowed 24s and 26s and have always enjoyed the sounds of those bigger drums. I feel like there is more tone to be had and a bigger tuning range than with the smaller drums.

On the other hand, I think if someone just wants a good solid "thump" out of their bass drum and is okay with the look of a smaller drum, there is no reason to go beyond a 20 or a 22. In my mind, if you go with the bigger drum it doesn't make a lot of sense to go heavy on the pre-muffled heads, dampening and just-above-wrinkles tuning when that sound can easily be obtained with a smaller drum.

tbart16

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
i ordered my Yami RTC kit with 2 24s and I love them I have lugged those 24s every where the weight and awkwardness of carrying them has always been outweighed by the incredible sound, feel ,and look of a 24. I actually picked up a 22" RTC bass drum about 5 years ago i've only played it a couple times GO BIG!

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
You say you never had a 24" bass drum, I thought You had a Ludwig 24" bass drum a year or so back?

Pounder

DFO Star
Reaction score
I've got mostly 24" bass drums. Size doesn't matter. It's how you tune em.

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Years ago, when I first played a 24 I didn't like it but as years have gone by,I love 'em,especially my 24 Rogers!
Pat

gutenberg

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a kit with a 16x24 and a 9x12 tom, and find the tom sits just a little too high for my tastes. I could stand-mount it, but then it'd be pushed to the left and still uncomfortable. I have no problems getting toms where I want them with a 22"

eddiej

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm going to be in the minority here.

I had a set of 1976 Slingerlands w/2 14"x24" BDs. At times I only played with one BD.

While they sounded good, IMHO the 24" BDs weren't worth the hassle. Having to set the kit higher was an issue for me (I'm only 5' 8"). Bear in mind I was using standard size toms, not power toms. Hauling them around was not an easy task to say the least. When I got the kit I was driving a 1970 Plymouth Duster. Getting 22" BDs in that car was easy. 24" BDs were a challenge. The higher head costs that go with a 24" were also a factor.

Both my kits ('76 Premiers & '05 Mapex) have 22" BDs, albeit different shell depths. I sold the Slingerlands off several years ago. I would be hard pressed to go back to using 24" BDs.

JMDrummer7W17

Reaction score
24's have that rich full sound and pack a lot of ooomph! I have both, but 'm sold on the 24. Have a CM w/ a 16x24 and just ordered a Legacy Classic in 14x24. I think the only 22 I'll ever play again is on my vintage kit.

Do you know anyone that has one? If so, and they're a good bud, ask them if you can try in for an evening & see what you think. Be warned, once you try it, you'll be hooked.... don't be a-scared.:wink:
Which ones are easier to mic if that's a thing?

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
My next bass drum will be a 24. 26 can be incredible but I think 24 is a little easier to get the whomp without the papery overtones becoming too difficult to tame.

Usually though, my answer to "what size bass drum" is "how much can I get away with"

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love 24 x 14” bass drums . I had a 24 x 18 Ludwig Legacy bass drum but I did not like it as much as the 14” deep bass drums . I like the 14” depth as it is punchier and doesn’t have to move as much air .
The music situations I play in today do not require a 24” bass drum and many of the venues I play in , a 24” bass drum is just too overpowering . A 20 x 14” bass drum is perfect for me .