24" bass drums: Should I be afraid?

Should I get the 24" bass?

• Total voters

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My last gigging kit had both 20 and 24 bass drums, but I rarely used the 24. It was a hassle to haul around, and could be overpowering. And it could be all in my head, but I swear the 24 was more exhausting to play.

Reactions: JDA

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I voted yes; I've never played a 24" or 26" bass and assuming you are a lot younger than me I'd say go for it. I played a 16x22 for years and the older I got the more I wanted a smaller bass. I also had to be careful caring it thru doorways; a 16" drum with wood rims on each side, at times I'd hit my hands on the door frames. LOL

I love my new CM's with a 14x20 bass.!!!

sherm

owr

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go for it, its a nice change. I played 20s almost exclusively for the last 20 years. Owned a 22 and an 18 for a short period, the former didn't add enough of anything for me compared to my 20s other than more of a pain positioning toms. I loved my 18, but just didn't have enough musical excuses to play it. In the last year I started to get an itch for something big. I started with an old orphan Rogers 24" to add to my existing kit, just to see if I liked it. I did, fantastic low end. So once I convinced myself and was getting ready to order my first custom kit I took the plunge and got a 13/16/24 proper. I really love the kit, but imagine there will many times that the 24 is too much for my needs. Ive considered ordering a 20" to match, but like I said above, already have 3 other kits with 20s so those will do just fine.

I say go for it, the 24 definitely took me to a different place than I get with my 20s, and it felt much more significant than the shift to a 22 sound and feel wise.

Trilock_Gurtu

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I picked up a cool 78' Tama Superstar Mahogany kit (24x14, 18x16 and 13x9) back in the Summer, but haven't got a chance to play it until yesterday. Put all new heads on it. Man, right away I'm in love with the kick drum (and floor tom - boom). I have other 24's (different depths; 14", 16", 17"), but this particular drum is special. Don't be afraid, 24's can be a lot of fun!

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Playing a lot of gigs? 22”
Mostly at home or studio? 24”
No real need to add heft and size if you are lugging them to gigs.

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
Not to hijack this thread, but I've been thinking about bigger drums lately myself. I have a Gretsch Brooklyn kit in WMP with 8, 10, 12 and 14 toms, a matching snare and a 20" bass drum. Rather than collecting different kits, I'd rather expand what I already know and love into a shell bank. My first additions would be a 16" floor tom and potentially a 24" bass drum (don't see the point of having a 20 and 22). That being said, I've held off as I have some concerns that you may also want to consider:

I'm pretty small at 5'5, and fear that getting my rack tom and ride cymbal adjusted to a playable position could be a challenge. I've seen kits with 24" bass drums where the rack tom is in a basket off to the side, but to me the ergonomics of that set up are not ideal. Much as I think I'd enjoy the extra oomph of a 24", the positioning and playability of my 20" would likely win me over most of the time.

Not sure how big you are, but the struggle is real for little folks like me. Something to think about.

Browny

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I picked up a cool 78' Tama Superstar Mahogany kit (24x14, 18x16 and 13x9) back in the Summer, but haven't got a chance to play it until yesterday. Put all new heads on it. Man, right away I'm in love with the kick drum (and floor tom - boom). I have other 24's (different depths; 14", 16", 17"), but this particular drum is special. Don't be afraid, 24's can be a lot of fun!
I had a similar kit, my best effort at dating it was ‘80, with 12x8, 13x9, 14x10 toms, a 16x16 floor and the 24x14 kick in battle-scarred ‘super Mahogany’ finish. Great drums, and in hindsight I regret selling them (after I got my radio kings, limited space in an apartment, etc). That classic depth 24” Superstar is a beast of a drum. I ran it with a clear Emp batter and it had a serious whomp to it.

Now I’ve got the two kicks; the 26x14 Radio King and a 22x14 Yamaha. They’re completely different beasts, and you’ve got to embrace it that way.

The 26 is unsurprisingly huge, especially with a solid front when that’s appropriate. 90% of the time it’s got a coated p3 batter. Big, deep, heaps more vibe, occupies way more sonic space (high, mids and low), prefers to be played more sparsely in relation to the effort required to punch out faster patterns and also giving it time to resonate.

The ‘80ish Yamaha is a more modern drum, SK2 and ported amb front, it’s thumpy, less mids, quicker response, a tighter sound. Easier to play faster patterns, doesn’t fill out all that sonic space in terms of length or frequencies. Also feels like it needs less velocity to get the drum to speak, the 26” wants to be stomped to really open up.

Also worth noting the kit setup around the drums changes a little. The 26” means we’re spread out more, the 13” tom sits a little higher and wider (on a snare stand) with the big drum, which can push my overall setup wider laterally (20” LH cymbal goes further left, might open my stance a touch with feet positions, hats a touch further out, etc).

The 22 I use the BD tom mount, so it’s 13” sits a little lower and more over the kick. I can tuck my LH cymbal in further, hats can come in, even the floor and RH cymbal (straight flat base stand) can come in a bit compared to the Slingerland.

I also change my beater height between both drums so it’s striking in the centre. That also has an effect on pedal response, on top of the difference in head diameter.

That stuff is fairly minor to me, but I’m 6’ so those small position adjustments might be a bigger factor to someone of smaller stature. Both drums fit easily in my hatchback, so size isn’t a problem. Weight isn’t that different between the two either. Both those factors probably become more important if you’re talking about heavier modern drums, or drums that are deeper than 14”.

Anyway, have a play of a few sizes and see what you like. Your mileage may vary on all the above points too of course…

Jungleguy

Reaction score
I don't think you are going to regret buying any of the two, except for the size difference between 22" and 24"

Malc

Reaction score
I've had a love/hate relationship with my 24x16 for almost 30 years.
When I first got it I loved its presence but hated the way it sounded in most rooms, but as I learnt to be better at tuning and head choice things improved.
I've tried quite a few res/ batter/ muffling combos over the years and am currently really happy with an Emad2/Emad reso/ Evans eq pad, which suits this drum and the band I currently play with.
The downside is still the lugging around !
IMG_20210507_120334153.jpg

Core Creek

Reaction score
I have different sized kicks for different styles of music. I have a Mapex kit with a 24” and I love it for hard rock. But a 22” is always going to be more versatile for me. So what will you use the kit for? If you don’t mind a more “one trick pony”, and it’s a pony you plan to play often, go for the 24”.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a few 24s, but I’d opt for a 20 or 22 first…then a 24 if I was able to have anything extra. So I guess it also depends on what you need it for…

It it’s staying at home, then any size you want. Otherwise, think about the venues in which you’ll be playing in.

I don’t see any problem with a 24 other than the height.

bottom line….think about what you need/want and don’t get pressured into it here!

Last edited:

JohnnyVibesAZ

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
One of the best bass drums I ever heard was a 12x24. No kidding! It also looked good with the set. Of course, I would look like an insect behind any 24!

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
My next bass drum will be a 24. 26 can be incredible but I think 24 is a little easier to get the whomp without the papery overtones becoming too difficult to tame.

Usually though, my answer to "what size bass drum" is "how much can I get away with"
Totally agree…always felt that 24 is the max needed if someone wants to go big. I feel it’s more practical than a 26 or 28 which starts getting gigantic.

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You don't have to play a 24" super loud, which begs the question, "Why get it, then?"

Because they're cool? Good enough.

healthie1

Reaction score
I used a 24" for the past two years and just swapped kits for one with a 22". I find a 22" has better rebound. Might be the heads; 24" was an old coated ambassador I think; the 22" is a clear pinstripe. I'd probably stick with a 22" myself going forward.

stevesmithfan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m getting older I find that 24” kick drums are hard on my lower back and hips to play for a long period of time. The 20 and 22’s are much easier to play.