24" bass drums: Should I be afraid?

Should I get the 24" bass?

• Total voters

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Yes. Eleven year old post. We must close the thread and open a new one exactly like it with new faces saying the same thing.

Come on, I never understood the necropostophobia on forums. If it's still worth discussing, tacking it on makes it more searchable

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes. Eleven year old post. We must close the thread and open a new one exactly like it with new faces saying the same thing.

Come on, I never understood the necropostophobia on forums. If it's still worth discussing, tacking it on makes it more searchable
When someone bumps a thread that's over a decade old I assume they're the kind of person that talks to manikins.

Hwy61

Reaction score
I have a virgin 24x16 CM. Lacquer finish. Very happy with it. I’m 6’4”. Great balance of attack/punch and resonance/boom. I was looking for a big sound when I chose this size. It sounds great out of the box with no padding. I put a thin pillow in it to tame it down in my live sounding space. ( used to be a recording studio which I gutted ). Lots of volume. I have a 5” port in the front head. Also pleased with that. I think I’ll get a 24x14 next time to reduce weight ( I’m not getting any younger ). It
is about 20 lbs.

markkarj

Reaction score
The 24" feels to me like I'm stepping into the biggest, most comfy bass drum I've played. Mine is a custom 18x24 Keller shell (built by Tom Wells prior to his retirement). It has a big warm, boomy sound with still a reasonable attack.

I do have a 20" for more "normal" playing... but I love the 24 and use it whenever I have an opportunity.

drumbum91

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think it depends on several factors. I’ll say that I love my 24”. I have a 22” as well but anytime I go to it, it leaves a lot to be desired IMO. The biggest con for me is the weight but I deal with it. My band mates also prefer the 24” as well.

stevil

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotta say this revived thread had me tempted to get into a 20” or 22”, but then I had rehearsal yesterday and my 24” took that fantasy’s lunch money. 24s rule.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
My last gigging kit had both 20 and 24 bass drums, but I rarely used the 24. It was a hassle to haul around, and could be overpowering. And it could be all in my head, but I swear the 24 was more exhausting to play.
A 24” is definitely more work for the foot than a 22” or less.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
24s seem fairly mainstream these days, so I don’t view it as this exotic type of thing. A 26” is starting to get huge, but a 24” can still fit it into many styles IMO…

spaeth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A 24” is definitely more work for the foot than a 22” or less.
I would whole heartedly disagree with this. When I play my 20 I have to try to hit so much harder to punctuate anything. With the 24 I can just sit back and play lightly and it just comes alive. Probably because I am always trying to get my 20 to sound like my 24.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
24s seem fairly mainstream these days, so I don’t view it as this exotic type of thing. A 26” is starting to get huge, but a 24” can still fit it into many styles IMO…
I feel the same way. 20”-24” are all reasonably versatile. 18”+26” are the useable extremes and the rest enter novelty

gonzo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Like the sound of my Ludwig CM very much. My only concern is that it seems the sound is a mili-second behind what a 20 or 22 has. It’s like a
Small delay. Makes sense I guess since you are pushing more air through the round chamber. So the response throws me off a bit