24" Ride Cymbal

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 24" 2002 Ride and between it and the Giant Beat (or AVH Big Ride), they are the ones to get. The 2002 has more ping, the GB has more sizzle, but they're both cut from the same hunk of bronze.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
I used to own an early 70's A with a huge bell and flying saucer taper . Thing could almost play itself, it was so comfortable, almost impossible to play a bad note on it . Effortless response . At one time it was normal to see 24's onstage.

Last edited:

Pickinator

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like a bright ride, but not over-powering. Clean ping without the clang; if that makes sense. 26” was always a go to for me. The 20” Paiste power ride usurped that for me. Incidentally, I still use all of them in my set-up, but the Paiste gets the prime real estate position.

Is the Reverend A the one with the guy “flipping the bird”?

GiveMeYourSmallestSticks!

Reaction score
Used to own a 24" Kerope. Beautifully warm and mellow cymbal with a great stick sound, lots of complexity and smokiness. Playing solo it was an absolute pleasure, but I had a hard time using it with other musicians. The wash just seemed to continue to build up as I played it, overtaking the stick sound. For acoustic stuff it was just too loud, and with electric instruments it just washed out. Provided a cool constant low pitched roar behind the music, but lost all stick definition. This was my first lesson in what sounds great in the music store not always working in real life. I still miss this cymbal sometimes, but then remember that I couldn't really use it. Someone bought it from me to use for a church gig, hope it's working out in that context!

b/o 402

Wacky old coot
Reaction score
I play a 24" Zildjian 50's Block Stamp in the 3300 gram weight. I know where another is in the 3200 gram weight. These are fine cymbals. And if you really want to save some money, I'd jump on this one.... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Zildjian-24-Ride-Cymbal-3380-Grams/303682427469?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649.

Mike
Wow! Is that a '50s stamp? 3 dots, outline Zildjian font?
Also that hole is a mess, which means it would need a grommet, but also that it sounds great and has been played a lot!

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve owned a ridonculous number of 24s. Actually... own, present tense. Love ‘em. I personally like my rides thin, but if you want something a little more versatile, I find that the semi-lathed/raw models of Turkish cymbals in the 2900-3000g range are a good balance between stick and wash. A Mehmet Empire ride or Vezir, for instance. Or an MC Jazz.

For the record, though, pretty much the only 24s I haven’t liked have been a ‘60s A and a Paiste Megabell something-or-other. And I LOVE my 24” Agop Sigs (both of them), so YMMV.

toddbishop

Reaction score
I have some Cymbal & Gong 24" rides in stock at the moment-- four jazz rides and a medium. All excellent, the medium is quite prodigious. I have to return them to C&G HQ in a couple of days, so let me know pdq if you're interested...

trommel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a friend with an A.Z. 24 " medium ride, 30+ years old, and I've played it a lot with his & my set. No problem with the sound etc., just takes up a lot of room, especially if you are playing two toms on the BD. Try some out before you buy, and have at it. I see no need for it myself, but others make like one. I have a set with a 26" BD13 ", 16", and 18" toms and used it once just for laughs. Scary! I used to play a 22" A.Z. medium ride, for 20 + years. I've put it on a practice set, use the 20" A.Z. medium ride (I was using it as a crash) now. The 20" is "cleaner, "pingier," better sound, just more fun. Let your conscience and bank account be your guide.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Wow! Is that a '50s stamp? 3 dots, outline Zildjian font?
Also that hole is a mess, which means it would need a grommet, but also that it sounds great and has been played a lot!
Yep. Mid 50's Block Stamp. Certainly the price is based on that center hole. I've owned some with centers like this. Was not an issue.

Mike

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I too have a 24” block stamp in the same weight range that is fantastic. It’s my studio cymbal.
I'm curious about a Block Stamp that big. Does yours crash well? Is it super low pitched? What's the wash and sustain like?

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
3Q's
do you mean edge crash or side stick crash ..what's being used for reference for "low" pitch "wash" and "sustain".
The only Question is does one at this very moment want to lighten their bank account.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
That hole maybe could be dealt with a File or drill bit.
My Problem with it is "I (imagine I ) can't" lift 3380gs.

But it's not that far away weight wise from my 3013g Dark Medium, a bit more from my 2877 Old K.
and 22" old A 2588g..

not sure I need a "king of the pillow" couch-crusher.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Would the guy I foolishly sold this 24 Complex Sound Lab to please contact me so I can buy it back. I'll make it worth your while. Thank you.
I thought for sure I could help Sinc out so I went on a search

Came up with thought I had it $200! till I saw the weight and looked a little closer

sorry.

Last edited:

jsp210

Reaction score
I'm curious about a Block Stamp that big. Does yours crash well? Is it super low pitched? What's the wash and sustain like?
All Block Stamps crash well, have stick clarity, beautiful bell, wash and sustain. A 24 at that 33xx-34xx weight will likely have a lower pitch than whatever 21" Block Stamp you ultimately end up acquiring. Go grab this one with the gnarly patina and center hole and stick it to the right of your magical 21" unicorn and you're done.

Last edited:

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mine I’d guess is 3300-3500 g at 24”. Great bell, crash, stick, and wash. Due to the 24” size, it has some darker qualities of a K. It’s like a brighter 22” K. Seriously one of those “Ya, that’s the sound” cymbals. Records like a dream.

Latest posts