24" Ride Cymbal

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Please use "lower pitched" instead of dark in discussing A's. Darker assumes there's opposite "light" "shadows" which mayn't not be present in plain 'lower pitch'...
Dark and Low Pitch are two different cymbal worlds and words
A, men.

Ajbambino

Reaction score
I am interested in purchasing a 24 incher and thought I would canvas up some opinions. I should state that I love ride cymbals in general.
Presently, I have:
(2) A Zildjian 26" (1 heavy and 1 med/heavy) - I like them very much.
(2) A Zildjian 20" (1 heavy and 1 med/heavy) - they are fine
(1) A Zildjian 22" (heavy) - least favorite
(1) Paiste 20" power ride - "Top favorite"

I am thinking that a 24" might be the ticket, but have never owned nor played one. I see Musicians Friend gets a whooping $660 for a Paiste formula 602 24". I am a fan of Istanbul hihats and crashes, but for the record, do not like the sound of their 24" signature ride.

If you own and play a 24" I'd like your opinions. If you've tried them and don't like, I'd like to hear those opinions as well.

Thanks in advance
Ah man, the modern essentials 602 is beautiful! When I decide to go over to a B20 alloy cymbal, it'll absolutely be those. But for now, aside from the giant beats (which sound amazing for the record) at 24", I also wanted to say the Big Beat 24" is my absolute favorite right now.

If I had to get another from the Paiste line, then I definitely want to mention Paiste's dark energy - sounds beautiful and can be played to any genre

Ajbambino

Reaction score
Thanks to this thread, it started my wheels and I ordered a 26” Giant Beat!
hahaha niiiiiiiice! i seriously considered that but it was way to big for me.

that, and i couldnt justify it since id have to upgrade all my hardware to support it and carry it, which would of costed me more than the cymbal. albeit, i will say the reissue giant beats sound sometimes better than the originals

Dumpy

Reaction score
hahaha niiiiiiiice! i seriously considered that but it was way to big for me.

that, and i couldnt justify it since id have to upgrade all my hardware to support it and carry it, which would of costed me more than the cymbal. albeit, i will say the reissue giant beats sound sometimes better than the originals
My hardware can support it, but now I need a bigger cymbal case!!!!

Joann Blondin

Reaction score
I am interested in purchasing a 24 incher and thought I would canvas up some opinions. I should state that I love ride cymbals in general.
Presently, I have:

I am thinking that a 24" might be the ticket, but have never owned nor played one. I see Musicians Friend gets a whooping $660 for a Paiste formula 602 24". I am a fan of Istanbul hihats and crashes, but for the record, do not like the sound of their 24" signature ride.

If you own and play a 24" I'd like your opinions. If you've tried them and don't like, I'd like to hear those opinions as well.

Thanks in advance
Hi, I play a 24 OM series Istanbul and I really enjoy it when the band is fairly loud (bigband) the ping comes out and the wash disappear in the rumble.

Corbin L Douthitt

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Presently, I have:

Thanks in advance
just budget for an extra cymbal bag.. most bags are for 22".. you have to order a 24". oh, and a heavy, braced cymbal stand. Had a 24: flattop.. liked it, it was given to me from an old Blues drummer. but gave it to a friend that played a flat-top in a jazz band.. MADE his Xmas!!

Pickinator

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a 26" case that can hold the 24" along with. I also have plenty of heavy duty boom cymbal stands with counter-weights.

That's another minor irritation for me; I don't care for boom cymbal stands without counter-weights. They seem less stable and look weak to me.

Dumpy

Reaction score
I have a 26" case that can hold the 24" along with. I also have plenty of heavy duty boom cymbal stands with counter-weights.

That's another minor irritation for me; I don't care for boom cymbal stands without counter-weights. They seem less stable and look weak to me.
That’s because in general, they are!

musiqman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, your 24'' cymbal quest just made me buy the earlier mention 24'' sound lab K.

063E7625-AEC6-423E-B5FA-164DCA8D9E50.jpeg

Let's see if the incoming Crosstown holds such a beasty (3400gr approx).

I usually play 20'' and 22'' (my vintage Zildjian bag is 22' yikes!, lucky I have the Protection Raket AAA case too)) so this is going to be interesting.

Last edited:

Jawshoeuh

Reaction score
Paiste 602’s are buttery with velvet layered with unicorn fur. Did I mention that 12” of memory foam is underneath?

But 600 clams is a BUNCH of money.

Maybe a Giant Beat or the AVH Big Ride?
friend has the AVH big ride and I really dug it, great cymbal

Jawshoeuh

Reaction score
I have the 24” Dream Bliss small bell flat top ride and really like it.
I got a killer deal on a Dream prototype 24" Contact low bell flat ride and it's got a great ping and sounds really beautiful, but unfortunately doesn't crash very well at all, the wash is very dark and 'gong-y.' It's still fairly expressive and has a wide dynamic range, just can't bash it. Probably a little on the heavy side compared to a bliss.

My other Dream, a 22" vintage bliss has an almost non-existent ping, very dry, subtle stick sound, but a super trashy crash, almost like a China. Didn't love it when I first got it, but it's grown on me.

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The 24 small bell Dream Bliss are pretty nice. Shouldn't have sold mine.
Here's a 24 Agop Xist I also sold years back.

James Walker

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I haven't been by DFO in about a week, so I'm late to the party on this one.

I've only ever played or owned one 24, which is my pre-serial 602. The ink is long gone, but I'm guessing it's a "Medium" designation, tipping the scales at 3295g. Lovely, lovely cymbal. Maybe part of its charm is that it hasn't been cleaned since the last time Spiro Agnew took home a government paycheck.

I have no idea how it compares to the recent production 602s.

24_602_102.jpg
24_602_101.jpg

Ajbambino

Reaction score

Ahhhhh man, every other drummer I know talks crap to me because I feel the same way. Albeit, they are waaaaay expensive because of it.