24" Zildjian Concept Orchestral Ride

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Probably should have made a thread with all the new concept shop cymbals Zildjian just released, but ah well. The 3 new models (24" orchestral, 22" mega doom, and fat hats) are all 3 wonderful.

I just ordered this 24. It sounds absolutely beautiful on the video clips. It seems like a cymbal that can finally move my trusty 24" K Light ride out of the main spot.

Can't wait to get it in to test. Zildjian does take returns on these thankfully, just in case. They're pretty expensive, but I have gear to move should I keep it. Also, I miss Paul Francis!

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Interesting that it's K custom hammering. I thought these were basically A models. Hope it's a keeper!

What It Is

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hope it works out, I'd be interested to hear it in different contexts. Nice wobble!

2000dan2000

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So a brilliant finish top and traditional bottom? He mentioned it was buffed but it doesn’t look fully polished ‘brilliant’… I don’t know, just curious

dig the sound, I have a 24 K Light and, to me, the only thing it’s lacking is a bit more ping. This seems to have more of that.

Report back after you get it!

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
So a brilliant finish top and traditional bottom? He mentioned it was buffed but it doesn’t look fully polished ‘brilliant’… I don’t know, just curious

dig the sound, I have a 24 K Light and, to me, the only thing it’s lacking is a bit more ping. This seems to have more of that.

Report back after you get it!
Yeah, pretty underwhelmed with the commentary. Francis did a much better, more interesting job on that. My 22" k custom medium is traditional top, brilliant finish. Interested to see how this reverse design compares, if any.

I too love my 24" K Light and will be keeping it. Thinking my 22" K Custom Special Dry crash will take the selling spot for this Orchestral.

Will report back when it arrives. I'll have a gig on the 30th to try it with as well!

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I could see this having a few other sizes if not becoming a whole line.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
My 22" k custom medium is traditional top, brilliant finish. Interested to see how this reverse design compares
Not sure what the finish does. I think they are basically the classic orchestral pair cymbals? I got to try one at conservatory, great pair but a bit underwhelming as a ride to my ear. Steve Gadd has been using an 18“ for a long time (I think it‘s that model?)
I hear it as having a very separate bell, something I personally do not care for a lot.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Give this guy a Chance (speaking wise) wasn't he PF's partner. He may know as much or more. Don't pound on him too hard right off the bat. : )

here's the other video

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
sure has a lot of the Z shape 70s shape/ cup/bell in it's sound

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok.
here's what (I think (...) Zildjian has to do . The next 10 years.

They have to make their cymbals look handmade.
I can see a little bit of it starting there (and in that custom shop small bell model) .
They have to get away from the.. "omygosh it's obvious only hitech robotic machines could have made that"... look.
Even using all the hi-tech machinery available; they must be-made-to-look Handmade.

Be curious to see if they go this direction

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
another thing they gotta (...) do
is get away (expand) from "the four cup dyes" they've been using since (it seems at least) 1972..

... (the move away from "4") that began with Francis in the Bounce ......led into the Keropes.

The Cup bell on this 24 Orchestral looks like something from 1976.
If...If.. this cymbal had an old stamp Type III old K -style cup.....the wide low flat...on it. They (Zildjian) would be entering into another world.

So those two things:
Make em look hand made. and.
Get off their butt and bring in some- expand into- some (old ancient) cup.
(the ashtray cup on the K Hybrid Trash Smash- not what I'm thinking of..)

Last edited:

foxy_shazamtastic

Reaction score
another thing they gotta (...) do
is get away (expand) from "the four cup dyes" they've been using since (it seems at least) 1972..

That (move from the "4") began with Francis in the Bounce ......led into the Keropes.

The Cup bell on this 24 Orchestral looks like something from 1976.
If...If.. this cymbal had an old stamp Type III old K -style cup.....the wide low flat...on it. They (Zildjian) would be entering into another world.

So those two things:
Make em look hand made. and.
Get off their butt and bring in some- expand into- some (old ancient) cup.
(the ashtray cup on the K Hybrid Trash Smash- not what I'm thinking of..)
That is a really cool cup though. Those cymbals are awesome. Have you played one?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a really cool cup though.
it's the same one as goes back to the 70s Looks like.
Not played one.
not that exact one.

Cup's shape looks like the one on my $70 /ebay/ older A. 22" score.

Can hear Cup in the stick- which you know- for volume- is a (good) thing. for 'mystery and complexity" - eh..

Last edited:

foxy_shazamtastic

Reaction score
it's the same one as goes back to the 70s Looks like.
Not played one.
not that exact one.

Cup's shape looks like the one on my $70 /ebay/ older A. 22" score.

Can hear Cup in the stick- which you know- for volume- is a (good) thing. for 'mystery and complexity" - eh..
I meant the volcano cup, hybrid trash smash

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Looks like the same bell as on the crash ride and large crashes, not sure if it was the "large" or "special" one. Makes sense since it was conceived as a (pair) crash cymbal.