header.nohb.html

26" Bass Drum!?!? Where have you been all my life...

Trey Gray

Pro
Reaction score
Hello,

A dear friend gifted me a 12x26 Leedy bass drum many years ago...I put some proper spurs on it back then and have been using it to supplement some tone ideas when I record.

Monday I put it up as my main kick and haven't looked back! It feels a bit different sure, but, wow, it sounds just like the perfect kick in my head sounds!

Anyone else a fan???

cheers and blessings, Trey

Hop

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've owned one kit in my life... started out with one 14x26" and shortly after acquiring the kit, I added another 14x26".
For me, it's just my favorite bass sound! Just love that long note Ommmph of those drums.

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a Yestayear Tama B/B preformer with a 14 x 26 inch bass. That thing rattles the windows, but it's more for collecting, and has a different sound then I'd expect (could be the heads to a degree?)
If I buy another kit, it will be a Ludwig Maple Custom with the 26 kick

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
20211217_215625.jpg

I'm completely in love with the power of this thing!

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
View attachment 539057

I'm completely in love with the power of this thing!
Gorgeous. Ludwig 26 inch bass drums just sound rediculous, and different, but in the best way.
I've been considering just picking up a Centennial shell pack. I'm not real familiar with the differences. Would you, or anyone happen to know?

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
Gorgeous. Ludwig 26 inch bass drums just sound rediculous, and different, but in the best way.
I've been considering just picking up a Centennial shell pack. I'm not real familiar with the differences. Would you, or anyone happen to know?

I don't know the differences. I think the Centennials are made overseas, not sure about that, but I have heard good things.

eigentone

Reaction score
I have a 14x26 Recording Custom that really booms. It's not a drum I use for everything but it is a really cool sound.

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't know the differences. I think the Centennials are made overseas, not sure about that, but I have heard good things.
II think I can get the shell pack for about a grand. Hell if that gets me close to that sound I'd be thrilled

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a 14x26 Recording Custom that really booms. It's not a drum I use for everything but it is a really cool sound.
I'll have to see if youtube has any sound files. That sounds interesting, but man that Ludwig sound is beautiful to my ear. I remember when Made in Japan was frowned upon, so as long as there are no flaws, and they have that punch, I'd be happy. Hell, some snare drums cost more

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
Yes sir. I have a 14x26 1948 Slingerland that is pretty much the bee's knees. It's not for everything, but what it works for... it's perfect. Wait till you get yours under the mic!

Also have a 10x28 Leedy waiting to be assembled right now.

You mentioned yours is a 12" deep. I think there's a lot of magic in 12" deep bass drums.

The thing I like most about 26s' isn't necessarily the low end- it's how full and rich the mids and highs are, honestly. They can just sound and feel full and balanced.

I'd gig my 26" a lot more if transport wasn't such a bear. I need to get a soft bag for my 26- a hard case is a bit much to fit sometimes.

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'd gig my 26" a lot more if transport wasn't such a bear. I need to get a soft bag for my 26- a hard case is a bit much to fit sometimes.

With an Ahead Armor soft case, I can just BARELY get my 26x16 in the back seat of my extended cab truck behind the driver's seat. But it works, and as such, is really no more difficult to haul around than a 22x16. If it were 18" in depth, I'd have a problem.

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
With an Ahead Armor soft case, I can just BARELY get my 26x16 in the back seat of my extended cab truck behind the driver's seat. But it works, and as such, is really no more difficult to haul around than a 22x16. If it were 18" in depth, I'd have a problem.
I could imagine. The B/B 14x26 may as well be furniture in the case. That is a heavy kick. Add those 2 inches, and how do you transport it?

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a Pearl MX setup years ago with 26, 15, 18 with matching 14x8 snare. It brought the thunder and the lightning.

The feel as you mentioned is different. And, I have found 26" can sometimes have the "basketball effect" if you aren't careful.

I have a 28" marching drum for sale in OBP that needs some hardware.

Wally Hershey

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No joke. When I switched from 24 to 26 my neighbor who is 100 yards away asked if I got a new drum. LMAO ! Let him know my 18 FT is going in to the kit, he looked scared, but I gave him a hug and told him " It will be OK "