header.nohb.html

26" Bass Drum!?!? Where have you been all my life...

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Here’s a pandemic home video my band did featuring a 6 ply 14x26 Ludwig (the other drum doesn’t have a pedal on it and was just set up for a laugh) … I think you can hear what I described in my other post. Maybe not as punchy as a smaller drum but not ringing like a field drum either. No muffling and a $25 bass drum mic.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, if one is good two must be better, right?…
So, if one is good two must be better, right?…
Do you still have those atomic Tamas? My brother passed about 12 years ago and left me his entire Imperialstar collection in storage at my sister's place, inclusive of the Gong drums, 20,22,24 &26 Bass drums, 16, 18 & 20 floor toms, two sets of Octobans, every size of rack toms including the X-tras and two sets of concet toms.
Dude was a killer saxophonist who'd give Dave Koz a run for his money and picked up on my drums when Uncle sent me off to a stinking war zone. Came back and my Slingys were trashed. An absolute killer drummer that still makes me look like a paraplegic on thorazine! Thanks, Geraldo!

latzanimal

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Halfway between the Quads and the Windy City...
Do you still have those atomic Tamas? My brother passed about 12 years ago and left me his entire Imperialstar collection in storage at my sister's place, inclusive of the Gong drums, 20,22,24 &26 Bass drums, 16, 18 & 20 floor toms, two sets of Octobans, every size of rack toms including the X-tras and two sets of concet toms.
Dude was a killer saxophonist who'd give Dave Koz a run for his money and picked up on my drums when Uncle sent me off to a stinking war zone. Came back and my Slingys were trashed. An absolute killer drummer that still makes me look like a paraplegic on thorazine! Thanks, Geraldo!

Yep, midnight blue

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, midnight blue
That's my favorite color. My brother left all Black drums. I converted a 14X10 Old School Imperialstar tom in Midnight Blue onto a snare using a Trick kit. Got the drum on eBay for 38 bucks delivered. Even has the internal tone control. Tama wide snare bed. It is one awesome snare!

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

Here’s a pandemic home video my band did featuring a 6 ply 14x26 Ludwig (the other drum doesn’t have a pedal on it and was just set up for a laugh) … I think you can hear what I described in my other post. Maybe not as punchy as a smaller drum but not ringing like a field drum either. No muffling and a $25 bass drum mic.

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: Plus Nothing shakes a camera quite like a 26"! :laughing6: :laughing6:

Browny

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My main kit for the past 8 or so years has been a ‘47 Radio King with a 26x14”.

It’s big and has a huge presence, but I can get a decent variety of sounds out of it and is reasonably versatile within a rock/backbeat context, provided you’re not trying to play too many notes.

It definitely likes being stomped; you want to hit it pretty hard to get it to really open up, and not burying the beater makes a big difference too.

I’ve got two sets of heads for it that I change out depending on context. A smooth white amb without a port and a ported coated amb for the front, while the batter is either a coated p3 or a coated Emp. Head combo, beater selection combined with muffling and tuning makes a big difference.

At the moment I’m running the ported front and p3 on the back, both tuned up pretty high, a couple of towels inside barely touching each head and a big old Danmar felt beater that’s worn flat on one side. It’s a pretty punchy sound, quite ‘immediate’ for a big drum, doesn’t sustain too long but still has a burst of that deep low end. Sounds great with a mic just inside the port, and isn’t setting off a barrage of harmonic vibration from both toms and snare every kick hit.

And come on… as if the big bass drum doesn’t look cool as hell…

Attachments

• 15DCCCD3-41F5-4631-BB98-EF0B9123BE1F.jpeg
    15DCCCD3-41F5-4631-BB98-EF0B9123BE1F.jpeg
    63.6 KB · Views: 33

MacDaddy

Reaction score
I picked up this Gretsch kit early in November. 26/14/16. Between a tour, another shutdown, Christmas and waiting for the heads I wanted, I still haven't gotten to play it... I can't wait to get it under the mics and see what it can do! I've had a 24" Vistalite for a while and it has sounded great in every situation I've used it in.

I did a record in New Orleans many moons ago where we used two different 26" drums for most of it. A Gretsch Catalina (second pic) and a very old single tension Gretsch with calf heads.

I did some tracking last year with my friends 40's Slingerland kit (third pic). I was expecting it to be hard to control but it was so nice... not a big adjustment at all. Even though I most commonly play 22's.

1643125467888.png

1643126933912.png

1643127054759.png

jskdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Love that bass head!
Funny, I looked at different reso's in 26 size to replace since I don't like to alter vintage gear. I eventually decided that I liked the head so much that I'd keep both of em & cut a whole in this 1 to mic it live... I've had several friends say they love it too...It just makes me feel better about my decision to alter the head in order to give it new life :)

DavedrumsTX

Reaction score
Hello,

A dear friend gifted me a 12x26 Leedy bass drum many years ago...I put some proper spurs on it back then and have been using it to supplement some tone ideas when I record.

Monday I put it up as my main kick and haven't looked back! It feels a bit different sure, but, wow, it sounds just like the perfect kick in my head sounds!

Anyone else a fan???

cheers and blessings, Trey
That’s very cool. It sounds like a very cool drum both sonically and sentimentally.

I love the sound of a 26 bass drum when it’s tuned correctly. I would really like to use one, but I usually play with very small stage space, so 20s and 18s tend to make more sense.

I also found, my bass drum technique needs to adapt as I go up and down in bass drum size. Perhaps that’s just me. 18 and 20 inch bass drums are so responsive and quick. 24 and 26s require a bit more motion energy.

Thanks so much for sharing!

coastie

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This thing is thunderous. 3 ply Slingerlands except for the 18” FT which is a 5 ply. It’s fun to play and it’s tone is real good without any dampening of any sort.
I’ve had it for sale on the FB marketplaces for a couple weeks. I will post it here soon.

Attachments

• 17925A9B-062C-44BE-A48F-FE1BBA6A9B69.jpeg
    17925A9B-062C-44BE-A48F-FE1BBA6A9B69.jpeg
    47.7 KB · Views: 32

johncgg

Reaction score
I bought a 1957 Piano Black Duco14x28 WFL a few years ago. It has spent a lot more time with the kit than the 22. Tuning the drum higher really helps with the punch and pedal feel. It might help with a 26" too. The microphone absolutely loves it.

Attachments

• WFL+ss.JPG
    WFL+ss.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 30

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me, nothing beats a 26-inch Yamaha Rock Tour Custom of the 90s. I can get anything outta them.

Puddy

Reaction score
Hello,

A dear friend gifted me a 12x26 Leedy bass drum many years ago...I put some proper spurs on it back then and have been using it to supplement some tone ideas when I record.

Monday I put it up as my main kick and haven't looked back! It feels a bit different sure, but, wow, it sounds just like the perfect kick in my head sounds!

Anyone else a fan???

cheers and blessings, Trey
I have a 26x14 Tama Starclassic Bass Drum.
It sounds amazing!!
Its my favorite drum!!
If your in front of it, you can feel the thump!
61ADE959-184C-4374-AA62-F61AE1A554FF.jpeg

Last edited:

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I bought a 1957 Piano Black Duco14x28 WFL a few years ago. It has spent a lot more time with the kit than the 22. Tuning the drum higher really helps with the punch and pedal feel. It might help with a 26" too. The microphone absolutely loves it.
Very clever on the no drill bass to floor tom conversion