header.nohb.html

26" Bass Drum!?!? Where have you been all my life...

rascalseven

Reaction score
Many years ago I bought a 1969 Ludwig marching bass drum, 26x14. 3-ply maple/poplar/maple. Put proper spurs on it with a coated Emperor on the back muffled with a strip of felt and a Ludwig 'Heavy' single ply head on the front. AMAZING drum whenever I use it. Takes a bit more leg than a smaller drum, but the sound is perfect to my ear (a buddy refers to it as '26' whenever he wants to use it on a recording -- "make sure to bring '26' with you!").

Shot a video last year when messing with:

Rusty Knorr

Reaction score
I bought a Gretsch USA Custom last year with a 26 and that thing blows my mind. So much fun, but a lot of work to play. I don’t use it all the time, but it sure is a fun ride when I do!

mebeatee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Sometime last year there was a 28x20(deep) Ayotte bd for sale on the big cities CL that was pretty tempting…..especially after having a 26x14 dropped off at my house….see post #48 in thread…..and eventually buying it and the kit.
I did a bunch of stuff with a youth fiddle group that rehearsed at one of the local elementary schools. Initially I was told drums would be there…coolio…..however they were concert band drums…….snares on orchestral stands and a 32x16 concert bd. No biggie as I made it work…..but man oh man I would take the bd off the cradle, attach my bd pedal, stuff some foam between the pedal and head, roll up and place my jacket or hoodie against the front head…..and wow wow wow!!!! Get in a school band room with a couple of dozen kids fiddling away and it gets to be a pretty good volume so the bd didn’t overpower at all. I would seriously consider aquiring one of them…..(a double bd set up of 32’z would be waaaay kewl!!!!)….but schlepping not so much. The 26 (in it’s case) will fit into both our vehicles but not a 32…..but then again I haven’t had the pleasure of trying….;)
bt

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I got a 16x32 in the trunk of a Mazda 626 sedan . Had to take the hoops off but the shell fit

latzanimal

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Halfway between the Quads and the Windy City...
(a double bd set up of 32’z would be waaaay kewl!!!!)….but schlepping not so much. The 26 (in it’s case) will fit into both our vehicles but not a 32…..but then again I haven’t had the pleasure of trying….;)
bt

A friend of mine plays double 32s... pic of him in a thread on here somewhere

Bluesbanger

Reaction score
Hello,

A dear friend gifted me a 12x26 Leedy bass drum many years ago...I put some proper spurs on it back then and have been using it to supplement some tone ideas when I record.

Monday I put it up as my main kick and haven't looked back! It feels a bit different sure, but, wow, it sounds just like the perfect kick in my head sounds!

Anyone else a fan???

cheers and blessings, Trey
What heads and dampening are you using on this kick? Thanks

IVER

Reaction score
Hello,

A dear friend gifted me a 12x26 Leedy bass drum many years ago...I put some proper spurs on it back then and have been using it to supplement some tone ideas when I record.

Monday I put it up as my main kick and haven't looked back! It feels a bit different sure, but, wow, it sounds just like the perfect kick in my head sounds!

Anyone else a fan???

cheers and blessings, Trey
I've never played a 26", but have a 24" Leedy & Ludwig white pearl 24" bass drum that I use on every gig and often in the studio. Love the sound of it. I played a large concert hall in Vancouver once and a member of the sound crew freaked over it and asked to play it a bit. "Knock yourself out," I told him.

Browny

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Swapped heads out today, after rewatching the Eric Valentine one/minimal mic video have been moving playing around with a big, open tuning on all the drums (light leather wallet as snare muffling/gate) and doing some hard compression/eq moves.

So removed the ported amb and coated p3 and replaced them with my other set, a solid smooth white amb and coated emperor on the back. Two small hotel style towels inside, just touching both heads, enough to kill any basketball. Got the red Danmar beater on the pedal at the moment too.

Tuned ‘em up a bit, stuck an e602 a couple of inches from the centre of the front head and hit record.

It’s a bloody 808. Huge round tone, sub-bass for days. Pretty fun….

Puddy

Reaction score
I own a 26 ‘by 14’ Tama Starclassic!!!
This bass drum sounds amazing!
No regrets buying it 5 years ago!!

James Walker

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't use it often, but a few years ago my school presented a faculty recital, and one tune on the program was Louis Armstrong's version of "West End Blues." The closest thing I have to "period correct" for that is my Leedy Dreadnought kit, so I brought in a couple of pieces of it for that tune. The 16x26 bass drum has a calf batter and a Fiberskyn reso.

First note I played on it, the bass player started grinning ear-to-ear. Made my night.

mlc_recital_2018_001.jpg

mlc_recital_2018_002.jpg

Dave H.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I love big bass drums! I have a 16"X24" GMS & a 14"X28" Ludwig I love. Now I just need to get a beater with a longer shaft and an 16"X18" Ludwig floor tom for that kit. The GMS kit gets the most use at the moment as it is easier to haul But I am starting to work on the Ludwig's to get that kit up & running.

Big Drums Save Lives!

Slawman

Skinsmannn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here is a kit that I just bought to keep and play.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220420-180954_Reverb.jpg
    Screenshot_20220420-180954_Reverb.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20220420-181003_Reverb.jpg
    Screenshot_20220420-181003_Reverb.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 21

blueingreen

Reaction score
My main kit for the past 8 or so years has been a ‘47 Radio King with a 26x14”.

It’s big and has a huge presence, but I can get a decent variety of sounds out of it and is reasonably versatile within a rock/backbeat context, provided you’re not trying to play too many notes.

It definitely likes being stomped; you want to hit it pretty hard to get it to really open up, and not burying the beater makes a big difference too.

I’ve got two sets of heads for it that I change out depending on context. A smooth white amb without a port and a ported coated amb for the front, while the batter is either a coated p3 or a coated Emp. Head combo, beater selection combined with muffling and tuning makes a big difference.

At the moment I’m running the ported front and p3 on the back, both tuned up pretty high, a couple of towels inside barely touching each head and a big old Danmar felt beater that’s worn flat on one side. It’s a pretty punchy sound, quite ‘immediate’ for a big drum, doesn’t sustain too long but still has a burst of that deep low end. Sounds great with a mic just inside the port, and isn’t setting off a barrage of harmonic vibration from both toms and snare every kick hit.

And come on… as if the big bass drum doesn’t look cool as hell…
Sounds like a fabulous bass drum!

blueingreen

Reaction score
I have a Yestayear Tama B/B preformer with a 14 x 26 inch bass. That thing rattles the windows, but it's more for collecting, and has a different sound then I'd expect (could be the heads to a degree?)
If I buy another kit, it will be a Ludwig Maple Custom with the 26 kick
Love the Tama B/B preformers I have, with I could hear a 14 x 26 B/B kick!