2Box / NewGen Simmons-ish Unicorns found...then disappear... < Sad Panda >

dje31

Reaction score
I've been in search of the holy grail of e-drums since the golden age of the Simmons SDX, circa 1987.

Danny Carey of Tool and his Synaesthesia / Mandala project to create a current-era SDX has been an impressive effort / attempt, but I haven't seen examples in the wild to pull the trigger ( pardon the pun ) . Kudos and gold stars for the effort, and hope it ultimately pans out, for DC, any investors, and the e-drum community as a whole. Competition improves the breed.

I was a huge fan of ddrum ( Clavia / Nord roots, pre-Armadillo Enterprises ) back in the day, and when they resurfaced as 2Box, it caught my attention. The DrumIt Five seemed to be the next iteration of the ddrum 4: An evolution of the pads, that could be had with mylar heads, mesh, or rubber, with actual metal frames, and sounds that sounded "real," moreso than the usual suspects, seemed like a no-brainer. Good representations on YouTube.

Open-source, being a good tech nerd that I am, is a huge draw. Was ready to pull the trigger, then they went dark with the Five, brought out the DrumIt Three brain, no pads, but allowed the usual suspects' pads, cymbals, triggers. Good for them for self-preservation in a tough market to gain traction.

But now, it's as if the Five, brain and pads, never even existed. Weird. Haven't reached out to the US distributor ( Hoshino ) but probably should.

Then, out of the blue, completely unintentionally, I stumbled upon the Simmons ( in-name-somewhat ) SD2000. Apparently, Guitar Center bought the name / rights to the Simmons brand, and put out a bunch of cheap, bedroom-oriented / hobbyist kits that, IMHO looked like toys. But if you wanted to dip a toe in the water of e-drums on the cheap, it was an option.

Then, even bluer ( look at the rack ) , they came out with the SD2000. Hearkening back to the hexagon pads externally, but with mesh drum pads, and hex-shaped hat, ride, and crash pads. And technology that might as well be SDX 2.0, circa 2017, for about $1k US. Take my money!

I was able to try them out at a Guitar Center in Atlanta in early December on a business trip. Like so much GC gear, it wasn't in out-of-the-box condition. I'd done a bunch of research, how they'd involved the original Simmons braintrust from the UK, and impressed enough to seek out if the product matched the marketing.

And I must say, I was impressed. Guessing no one at GC bothered to update the firmware, as they probably move tons of Roland, Alesis, etc. with no effort, and "what's this weird hex-shaped thingamabob kit that confuses my expectations?" from potential customers.

I saw / see the viability of the SD2000, but now it's gone, as if it never existed. Somewhere, there's NOS in a warehouse, as, I imagine, is the 2Box DrumIt Five. I reached out to Simmons to see if I could buy a kit from them directly. < crickets >

I'm pretty sure I can live with either (both if the price is right) of these kits if I could find an outlet...which would probably be had for dealer cost. TAKE MY MONEY!

But maybe NAMM will show GC / Simmons new SD3000 in January.

Thoughts? Am I the only e-drum nerd out there that isn't interested in a Roland, Yamaha, Alesis, KAT, etc., solution in 2019?

Last edited:

dje31

Reaction score
Re: Sunhouse, interesting sounds. Looks like it's a primarily a sound library with rim-mounted triggers and a sophisticated interface? Is that an oversimplification? Assignable sounds according to strike location, like the SDX and Synaesthesia, etc.

Curious that the company's website is from Sweden, making me wonder if it's an off-shoot of Nord / Clavia / 2Box, or old employees of them.

dje31

Reaction score
Re: Simmons SD2000, one thing that was nice about this is the size and scale. I'm a fairly big guy at 6' 1", 203#, and when I sit behind most e-kits, I look like a giant playing on a kid's toy drumset. I didn't look or feel awkward or out of place sitting at the SD2000.

dje31

Reaction score
Update: called Hoshino, US distributor for 2Box, on Friday, who said that they had no more DrumIt Five in stock, with no idea where to find it, besides NOS at shops, eBay, Reverb, etc. < sigh >

He pushed the DrumIt Three---not surprisingly, since his job is to sell what he has, not what he doesn't have---but that's a brain only, made to work with pretty much any triggers.

The search continues...happy and appreciative to hear if anyone comes across one...or the SD2000.

Tuckerboy

Reaction score
Electronic Drum Center carries some of the discontinued 2Box pads, cymbals, and accessories.

Latest posts