2nd 18" or 19" crash?

Quai34

Reaction score
Ok, so, you have my list of cymbals in my signature but I realized I have only one 18" and one 19" crash. Not to say that I must have 2 of each size but in order to get another taste, this is what I'm going to do.
So, just a recap of what are my options based on discussions here with you guys:
1) 18" Meiñl Foundry reserve crash, one is in promo/used at my store but some of you have told me that the 18" Meinl Byzance jazz medium thin crash will go very nicely with my Byzance 17" thin jazz crash. Any preference for them and why? Or another 18" in Paiste? If yes, which one? I love the Dark Energy and the Master rides but I'm still a bit short with my knowledge of the Paiste crashes...

2) 19", same thing, Foundry Reserve or? I hesitate a lot with the 18" Foundry reserve because a lot of people are saying that, when they released the range, the 18" crash was the less succesful of the bunch, but did they change something with the 19"? like the 19" is way better than the 18" and up to par the rides? Or no? Or Dark Energy Paiste that will go well with my Traditional 19" Meiñl? I don't like the 2002 in Paiste, too harsh, maybe the 602 but still, I'm in love with their Dark Energy.

3) Something else? Zildjian or any of the smaller brands? It still could be another Sabian, they are quite cheap here in Canada.

Let me know your thoughts

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
What is your typical cymbal setup already, and what styles do you play most? That will help us identify what could be best for you.

Quai34

Reaction score
Yes, you're right sorry, Funk in the band, mostly shows and corporate, Jazz and Jazz Rock as well.
Set up, almost all cymbals on the kit,
Rides, right hand side:
1pm, Sabian HHX Groove ride 21"
2pm, over the 16" Floor tom, AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride 21".
2h30 pm, Zildjian A Custom Sweet Ride 23"
Left hand ride side, 11pm, Meiñl Foundry reserve Ride 20"

Crashes, from left to right:
Meiñl Jazz light 17", Paiste Dark Energy 15" (16" with a small crash cut to 15"), Sabian AAX crash 14", Artisan light crash 16", AAX Xplosion fast crash 18", Meinl Dark crash 17" & Traditional 19", Paiste abian Arisen light 20" ride used as a crash (not bought definition as a ride), Paiste sound formula frankenstein logo 16" (my highest pitch cymbal) and finally, Meiñl ultra light hammered crash 20".
I'm not planning to put more cymbals in the kit, no more Room but I would like to get some other cymbals than the current 18 and 19", not that I don't like them, they are perfect in my set up, all cymbals goes always from note to note on a decrecendo, but I want to experiment and as I said, finish my collection with two 18" and two 19"crashes, as I have two 16" , almost the 15" Dark Energy sounds like the normal 16", so, 3 16" we could say.
So, it has to go as well as the two that I have with the other cymbals but given as little different test. If you think that I have too much dark Cymbals, maybe I need more high pitch ones, that's why my two last acquisitions were the to Paiste.
So, it's more about having another taste than replacing any of the cymbals that I have, I'm not going to sell one to get replaced.
I will add/buy another ride, maybe a Dark Energy 22" mark 1, and/or a Twenty Master dark dry crisp ride, not sure the size yet.

Last edited:

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
This is just me, but I like to focus on one brand and go from there. Like if you feel like Sabians are your core cymbals, perhaps add another Sabian that compliments your existing setup. So if you have lots of dark options, you can consider an AAX crash. That will still blend in with your Sabians, and add a little different color. About sizes, I see guys play multiples of the same crash size, so I’d just go with your gut regrading then 18 or 19.

Quai34

Reaction score
Well, I have already 2 AAX, ok, they are Xplosion but like it a lot, I don't care about mixing brands in one set up though...Guts and ears, yes, but the store close to me is more a guitar word first, then drums, then keys, so, not the best selection of cymbals and to choose from...I don't think they even have any Paiste...Updated. They have, but only big Beast or giant beat.

Last edited:

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Next best thing is to listen online. I’ve had good luck, and you can find a used cymbal to save some money!

felis

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you're leaning heavily towards the Dark Energy.
Maybe also consider a K Dark Thin in 18 or 19" size.