2nd floor tom

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wish I could offer something useful but I have never had two floor toms and almost invariably my one floor was a 14" matched with a 12" rack tom.....and once a deep 10" ......and once very shallow Taye Go Kit sizes ......wouldn't know what to do with two floor toms and wouldn't like to carry them around either. Sorry, I only posted because it's day 25 of self-isolation and my hands were free ......

dcrigger

DFO Master
Reaction score
It so much depends on style, genre, etc... but not knowing any of that ... I'd go for the 18", simply because you already have a 13" in the mix and I'm really not fond of toms that are only an inch apart in diameter.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Based on the music you play, a 14.

You can always tune a 14 and 16 lower. Also for playing punk and rock you may be riding a pattern on a floor tom instead of your hats or ride. A 14 works great for that where it sits in the mix of not only your kit but the mix of the band. That’s important.

We drummers can get so excited about the details of our gear we lose track of how it effects the music. (I’m as guilty of that as anyone.)

IMO, you do a ride pattern on big floor and you lose your articulation in the mix. It feels great from the throne, all that low end open Harley Davidson power, but to your bandmates and audience, unless you’re playing shows with top flight sound engineers and production, there’s a good chance what you think is meat is blurry sonic gristle.

Phildrummer

Reaction score
"Also for playing punk and rock you may be riding a pattern on a floor tom instead of your hats or ride"

That's very true Cirillo. I see more and more of that now in modern music.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Based on the music you play, a 14.

You can always tune a 14 and 16 lower. Also for playing punk and rock you may be riding a pattern on a floor tom instead of your hats or ride. A 14 works great for that where it sits in the mix of not only your kit but the mix of the band. That’s important.

We drummers can get so excited about the details of our gear we lose track of how it effects the music. (I’m as guilty of that as anyone.)

IMO, you do a ride pattern on big floor and you lose your articulation in the mix. It feels great from the throne, all that low end open Harley Davidson power, but to your bandmates and audience, unless you’re playing shows with top flight sound engineers and production, there’s a good chance what you think is meat is blurry sonic gristle.
I agree; my new 16x16 can get very close to that grumble sound.

sherm

fibes3

Reaction score
I had a 15 x 15 to go with my 16 floor tom.

Iristone

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd go against the grain and say I'd prefer an 18". Logistically a 14" makes sense, but my 16" just SINGS at higher, semi-jazzy tunings. FWIW I'm also a fan of 80's King Crimson-era Bill Bruford using his floor tom (or a large rototom?) as his crash cymbal!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
If you had the possibility to add a 2nd floor tom to your 16". Would you rather choose a 14" or an 18"? . It seems 14" would make more sense but I already have a 13". Sounds of 18" are incredible but I hear they're not that useful. Any view please?

Thanks. P
You raised a key point in your question....what are the other toms in your setup.
For me, that would dictate which way I would go.
FWIW, my two floor kit uses 14 and 16 ft's, mainly because that's what I have on hand to build a kit with.
...another way to look at it - if the 16 is your rack tom, I might do 18 & 20 floors. <_<

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
My current "all-purpose" set has 22" bass drums, with 8x12, 9x13, 14x14 and 14x16 toms, and keeping a musical spread between the toms sometimes pushes the 8x12's tuning towards the very high end of its range.
Back in the 80's, that was my setup.
I had a 22/12/13/16 kit but it was kind of cantankerous for hauling around to auditions all the time.
When I happened upon an 18/12/14 kit, I snagged it.
In the end, the little kit was left by the wayside, but I kept the 14" floor tom, which was the best drum in the whole kit and fused it into my bigger kit.
In the meantime, one of the tom arms stripped and couldn't be repaired (metal fatigue), so I flipped the mount around and just played kit with one tom on top.
When this happened, I realized I could create two different kits with just a change in toms.
so I paired the 12 with the 14 and the 13 with the 16.
The 12/14 came on auditions and that alone made load in / load out a lot easier than the same kit with the 13/16 setup.
It worked for the time I used it.

drummer5359

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd owned two kits with a 16" and an 18" and two kits with a 14" and a 16". Last year I ordered a shell bank and I went with a 14" and a 16" again. But, one of the bass drums in my shell bank is a 24". I really missed having an 18" with the 24" bass drum, they just work well together. :)

Now I have an 18" on order, so I'll have options. ;)

Last edited:

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'd owned two kits with 16"/18" and two kits with 14"/16". Last year I ordered a shell bank and I went with 14"/16" again. But, one of the bass drums in my shell bank is a 24". I really missed the 18" with the 24" bass drum, they just work well together. :)

Now I have an 18" on order, so I'll have options. ;)
Shell banks are so awesome .....

drumfx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you had the possibility to add a 2nd floor tom to your 16". Would you rather choose a 14" or an 18"? . It seems 14" would make more sense but I already have a 13". Sounds of 18" are incredible but I hear they're not that useful. Any view please?

Thanks. P
It's all bout the size of the BD. Small BD smaller FT but if your kick is a 24" or 26" you go with the 18" FT.

vintagemore2000

DFO Star
Reaction score
The two kits i use for gigging are a Slingerland kit and a Ludwig kit, The Slingerland kit is a 8x12, 9x13, 14x14 16x16" with two 14x22: bass drums. But i use this kit as a one mounted and two floor tom, I have No problems when using either the 8x12 or the 9x13 with the 14x14" floor tom Fantastic spread between either mounted toms to the floor tom, My Ludwig stainless steel kit is a large kit I use only again one mounted and two floor toms,. a 10x14 or a 12x15" mounted tom and a 18x18" and 16x18" floor toms, But I can only use the 16 and 18 floor toms together at one venue we perform at. this is the only stage large enough to hold that set up in.
1586602136371.png
1586602478018.png

Latest posts