2nd generation Yamaha Stage Customs are excellent drums ....

clinker555

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean have you found any sonic difference between the different mounting systems on your 2 kits?
Oh yeah,I see what you mean now. I haven't compared the two in that way. The socket piece that clamps over the ball on the older mount on the '83s are distorted to the point of unreliability, so I never even tried it out. And since I only play 1 up, I just use a single post into the bass drum.

Drumceet

Reaction score
I’m curious to know what drum head config works best for you guys?

When I bought my SC’s I swapped out the factory heads pretty quick and the first thing I put on was Evans coated G2’s over clear G1’s. Although I was happy initially the sound really wasn’t doing it for me. I had a hard time getting that low growl out of the 12” and really the toms just sounded so muted.

I swapped the batters for Evans G2 clears and I immediately noticed a difference and especially the 12” sounded much better to my ears. I’ve been reading a lot about various heads that suit the SC and I’m interested in 2 options

-Coated Remo ambassador top and bottom
-Clear Remo Vintage Emperor over clear ambassador

I’m not even sure why I went with the Evans heads initially as I always played Remo, but I’d like to experiment.

I almost bought a Ludwig classic maple set the other day, and I’m still considering it. Whenever I hear the classic maples it’s close to the sound I have in my head.

FadiAyat

Reaction score

When I bought my SC’s I swapped out the factory heads pretty quick and the first thing I put on was Evans coated G2’s over clear G1’s. Although I was happy initially the sound really wasn’t doing it for me. I had a hard time getting that low growl out of the 12” and really the toms just sounded so muted.

I swapped the batters for Evans G2 clears and I immediately noticed a difference and especially the 12” sounded much better to my ears. I’ve been reading a lot about various heads that suit the SC and I’m interested in 2 options

I’m not even sure why I went with the Evans heads initially as I always played Remo, but I’d like to experiment.

I almost bought a Ludwig classic maple set the other day, and I’m still considering it. Whenever I hear the classic maples it’s close to the sound I have in my head.
I love my stage customs so much I own 2 of em. 1 is a stage custom advantage. The only differences are the lugs and the mounting hardware. you can see my green set in the back . . As far as heads go I find that pretty much any combination works for me. But right now I have pinstripes on top and ambassadors on the bottom.

20201224_185626.jpg

Last edited:

Ian S

Reaction score
I have Stage Customs and I love them to bits. They sound rich, deep, warm, very versatile, pro quality drums at an extremely affordable price.

Coated emperor batter/clear ambassador reso on the toms, and at the moment an Evans EMAD batter and ported Evans EQ on bass drum, due to a price I got on the Evans stuff. I'm curious to try the Aquarian Superkick II, but it sounds great to me as-is.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I agree, the only thing I didn't care for was the snare. Everything else is fantastic
Sonor AQ2s are also fantastic (the 22" bass drum is a real monster) but the hardware on the stage custom is much better imo.

Attachments

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a:
Yamaha Maple Custom
Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute
Yamaha Club Custom
Yamaha Recording Custom
Yamaha Oak Custom
Yamaha Beech Custom (20/12/14)
another Yamaha Beech Custom (22/13/16FT)
And the kit I use to rehearse and gig with the most? Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Bop (18/12/14)

FWIW, I used to own an original Stage Custom marina green kit. I hope that tells you something about the quality and value of the Stage Custom series of drums.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm friends with very gifted guitarists who have Gibson Les Pauls, Fender Strats and Telly's , but prefer to use their Squires and Epiphones . Stage Customs can be like that too .

Drumceet

Reaction score
I have a:
Yamaha Maple Custom
Yamaha Club Custom
Yamaha Recording Custom
Yamaha Oak Custom
And the kit I use to rehearse and gig with the most? Yamaha Stage Custom Birch Bop (18/12/14)

FWIW, I used to own an original Stage Custom marina green kit. I hope that tells you something about the quality and value of the Stage Custom series of drums.
Wow that’s saying a lot. Actually the rehearsal studio I use has a Yamaha Oak made in Japan and the toms sound phenomenal.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find it interesting how many threads there are on various forums where owners of Stage Custom kits have to make posts to validate how good they are and what a bargain they are .

Drumceet

Reaction score
I find it interesting how many threads there are on various forums where owners of Stage Custom kits have to make posts to validate how good they are and what a bargain they are .
Odd that you would single out SC owners, as I’ve read the same type of posts on various forums for various products. I’ve seen those threads for Ludwigs as well.

Santino

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

In the 17 years I gigged my SC's, I founf mine liked Clear G1's on Batter and Reso sides. That said, I went through my fair share of batters.

The single ply G1s on the 8, 10, 12, 13 and 14 and those toms opened up and they'd resonate and rumble. I did end up with clear G2 batters on the 15 and 16" toms and they had a nice low end growl to them.

I miss that kit but there's a very happy young man who's dedicated himself to the craft since he received them.

Ian S

Reaction score

In some cases, it's probably not really about needing to validate as much it is wanting to share the knowledge in hopes it might be useful to others.

mydadisjr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
WOW!

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY YAMAHA SC DRUMS!!

GOT THEM FOR ONLY $280 TOTAL! 280 US DOLLARS! REALLY CHEAP!

THEY SOUND REALLY REALLY really GOOD! EVEN WITH CRAPPY HEADS! CUZ I AM TOO CHEAP TO BUY NEW HEADS!

REALLY!

DSC_0012.JPG

Last edited:

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
YSC bass drums are typically a hybrid 17" depth. Kinda weird, but it definitely works.

Stock YSC snares are...

meh.

As I said, I use my raw aluminum Acro with my YSC's. It just *fits* perfectly. I traded away that stock steel snare as soon as I got it.
Yeah, bought a kit (20/10/12/14) and cut the 20 down from 17 to 13.5. Couldn’t be happier with the result. Cut the rezo side because I prefer the tom mount just where it’s at.
312988A6-20B3-4729-8974-73DC38CD8238.jpeg
8B2BD25B-A98E-48C4-9DAF-7F6CBE2D7FA5.jpeg

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

For me, clear Emps. Just the perfect head for the batter side. I’m using the UT heads for the rezos.

FadiAyat

Reaction score
I have a:
Yamaha Maple Custom
Yamaha Club Custom
Yamaha Recording Custom
Yamaha Oak Custom

Until the day I die. I will never get rid of my green SC . . That's the love of my life. And I recently found 12-13 " toms and 16" floor tom in the same color for $100 . . Couldn't help myself and picked em up. . I'd love to find an 8" tom in marine green . .My life would be complete

OldeEnglishD

Reaction score
My son has a first gen (1999 born on dates) 22, 12, 13, 16 in wine red that is an incredible set of drums. The snare was not great, so we got him a used (1976) Acrolite and the kit sounds amazing. I have a Pearl Masters MBX that I love, but honestly the SC sound just as good. We run coated UV2 over clear G1 and the kit sings.