3.0mm hoops on a Supraphonic?

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I need to replace the hoops on my 1991 6.5" Supraphonic. I cannot find Ludwig brand 2.3mm hoops, which is what I wanted. So I was looking at DFD's hoop selection. I could get some non-Ludwig 2.3's, or I could try the 3.0's. I heard it's somewhere between die cast and 2.3.

Seems like it could be a good "mod". I play rim shots nearly exclusively for my back beats. If this is a "better" option for smacking rimshots all night, I will consider it. I tend to flex 1.6mm hoops way too much, causing the rod to back out.

Has anyone tried the 3.0 on a Supra?

mpthomson

Reaction score
Ludwig's 2.3mm hoops are now generic far eastern hoops anyway, which is the reason that newer models have splay issues or gaskets under the lugs to fix that, so Gibraltar or the DFD ones would do (probably identical in reality) if you can get them.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I haven’t tried them personally, but have read here somewhere that they can have positive results for someone looking for that “in between” sound and feel. Can’t hurt to try them, especially with the price compared to die cast.

HalldorL

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a 3mm Tama hoop I tried on a few snares. I find the 3mm hoop has a sound of it´s own. Like a sharper, more ringy sound with higher frequencies than a 2.3mm but not as focused as dc´s.

Mack2

Reaction score
I have not tried the 3mm triple flange hoops… yet. I have used Ludwig die cast hoops. Very controlled response, nicely focused on my LM400. I swapped those out to try 1.6mm triple flange hoops from DFD on same snare. Pleasantly open, nice feel and feedback. I don’t think this drum can sound bad!

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like the 3mm hoops, but recently have tried and like the S-Hoops better. The feel and tuning stability is very nice, and gives a wicked rim shot. Only downside is if you use a clip on snare mic, many don't fit the S-Hoop.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I resurrected a beat up 402 and put on some die cast I had laying around. I’m not a fan of 402’s (I’ve had quite few over the last 55 years) as I find them too bright and brash. I’ve tried almost all head config’s with not much luck. With the die cast, it’s now on stand almost at every gig… Go figure…

Last edited:

becken

Reaction score
I've replaced all triple flanged batter hoops on my snares(all metal/Ludwig) with die cast batter hoops. Cures all problems so far.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I bought some 3.0's for my hammered bronze supra 6.5, I like them so far and agree they are their own thing but also somewhere between a regular triple flange and diecast. They are a bit more expensive so if on budget the 2.3's from DFD are still a good source. They also have 1.6's

hefty

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Yamaha Recording Custom aluminum snare has their aluminum die-cast hoops on it which to me, I guess because of their light weight, are also kind of between a regular die cast and regular triple flanged. Not sure why I bring that up other than I really like that drum and it's basically a Supra with aluminum die-cast hoops.

DrFrankCoco

Reaction score
I usually buy Gibraltar 2.3 for replacements. I have s hoops on one snare and they sound great. Cheaper than 3mm hoops. Do change the look of the drum a bit tho. Curious if the 3mm are worth the extra money. They are nearly as expensive as die cast.

idrum4fun

DFO Master
Reaction score
How do you mean fix them?
My guess is he means they are a bit oversize, resulting in tension rod splay. I have a beautiful "Brass Edition" Supra. I was able to remove the thick rubber lug gaskets and used a nice set of Ludwig 80's 1.6mm hoops, eliminating the rod splay! Also, the 1.6mm hoops brings the Supra back to how many of us remember them!

-Mark

stevil

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used DFD 3 mm hoops to help tame an 18" floor tom and had good results. Sounds like it would be worthwhile on your snare, but I'm speculating.

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
"Classic" supra sound was from a 1.6mm hoop. Maybe you're moving in the wrong direction.
Also, the 1.6mm hoops brings the Supra back to how many of us remember them!

-Mark

This sealed the deal. I'm sticking with 2.3.

Thank you all! I am used to this drum with a 2.3 and I like what it does. I like the space and air. It sounds so big. I am not concerned with overtones. Maybe next time.

Last edited: