3 beater double bass pedal? ... what?

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going way down the rabbit hole looking at double bass pedals, I stumbled over a third beater on a pedal and tripped out a little.
Not even from the description in the link is it clear how the 3rd beater is meant to be used and why it's there at all.

My plan was to find an inexpensive double pedal only to experiment with moving my bass drum to the other side of the kit, allowing more tom setup choices.
Don't worry, the pedal shown here didn't make the cut. I'm actually looking at the pdp concept direct drive which looks more than decent for two bills.

What kind of pedal is this? What, how, when and why? lol

https://www.amazon.com/Festnight-Do...+pedal&qid=1605868789&sr=8-95#customerReviews
5148Ut2xJzL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That stock photo has been around -- and laughed at -- for some time. The manufacturer, and the photographer did not understand the purpose of the product. The remote side has the place for a beater, so they put one in. I've seen photos from ultra cheap manufactures that have the floor toms upside down and much sillier.

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Maybe it'll show up in a pawn shop...

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
That stock photo has been around -- and laughed at -- for some time. The manufacturer, and the photographer did not understand the purpose of the product. The remote side has the place for a beater, so they put one in. I've seen photos from ultra cheap manufactures that have the floor toms upside down and much sillier.
Good point. No where does it mention the manufacturer.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
well you could use the left side with a cowbell or other percussion items, but you'd have to remove the beater on the right and then replace and remove the one on the left if you were going back to double bass.

MrYikes

Reaction score
I bought one. If you separate the pedals, now you have two pedals that you can use on different kits. Used as doubles, there is no slop in the extension rods, both pedals have good, solid, nearly the same feel. It seems that to save money the manufacturer decided not to lubricate the bearings, so initially there was a lot of resistance. Once lubricated and played in, they are very nice pedals that I would have no issues with taking them to a gig. They do need some thread lock on the spring or the nuts will spin off. The initial ad was priced at $39 on ebay, that seller backed out after I bought it, so I went to another seller and got mine for $55. Because I had to get intimate with this pedal to lubricate it, I learned a lot about it. It is a good pedal. There are three spring assemblies, though you only need two, so you get an extra beater and an extra spring assembly,,win/win. I use it on my un-muffled Rogers bass and create thunder which my wife enjoys hearing.

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
I bought one. If you separate the pedals, now you have two pedals that you can use on different kits. Used as doubles, there is no slop in the extension rods, both pedals have good, solid, nearly the same feel. It seems that to save money the manufacturer decided not to lubricate the bearings, so initially there was a lot of resistance. Once lubricated and played in, they are very nice pedals that I would have no issues with taking them to a gig. They do need some thread lock on the spring or the nuts will spin off. The initial ad was priced at $39 on ebay, that seller backed out after I bought it, so I went to another seller and got mine for $55. Because I had to get intimate with this pedal to lubricate it, I learned a lot about it. It is a good pedal. There are three spring assemblies, though you only need two, so you get an extra beater and an extra spring assembly,,win/win. I use it on my un-muffled Rogers bass and create thunder which my wife enjoys hearing.
Who is the manufacturer?

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I'm in the process of putting disc brakes on a Chinese kid's ATV. From what I can tell, there are factories churning out parts that don't appear to go to anything in particular. Even sellers selling "kits" where the steering knuckles and brake calipers don't go together, yet they're in a "kit", sold by ebay seller "ThreeRandomEnglishWords". Not just sloppy tolerances, like 64mm bolt spaced calipers that are supposed to mount to a 63mm bolt spacing knuckle. Yeah - I was able to make it work, by drilling oversize - but I can assure you there is stuff being made by the boatload that is simply not functional for its intended purposes.

Renno

Reaction score
Going way down the rabbit hole looking at double bass pedals, I stumbled over a third beater on a pedal and tripped out a little.
Not even from the description in the link is it clear how the 3rd beater is meant to be used and why it's there at all.

My plan was to find an inexpensive double pedal only to experiment with moving my bass drum to the other side of the kit, allowing more tom setup choices.
Don't worry, the pedal shown here didn't make the cut. I'm actually looking at the pdp concept direct drive which looks more than decent for two bills.

What kind of pedal is this? What, how, when and why? lol

https://www.amazon.com/Festnight-Do...+pedal&qid=1605868789&sr=8-95#customerReviews
View attachment 471089
Looks like the right pedal is independent, maybe the other two are linked. If so you would need accurate setup of the left beaters.

sixplymaple

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought this thread would be about those Dualist pedals lol.

Nubs

Reaction score
Perhaps it's made to be for both lefty and righty players? As a lefty, I would be interested in this and just take one of the beaters off. That way, everyone can use it.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the in-depth review. The price you paid for them is half of what they want on Amazon and probably cheaper than most used double pedals. So, not bad if the pedals are actually decent.

I doubt most people who bought it took the time or had the know how to make it play functionally and feel decent, given that it’s priced for a beginner market. That said I have to wonder if it would be worth getting or if it turns into a pile of broken pot metal in a short time. How is the overall quality and how long have you had it? Do you play it regularly?

MrYikes

Reaction score
These pedals are well worth the money, even if just used as a back up. They are rather heavy, not DW heavy, but not light either. I have maybe 20 hours on them, this is after all 2020. ha. The nut spun off the spring so I just put on a piece of tape to hold it. I have been adjusting the tension a lot to get them where I want them. Nothing else has been a problem. I like them. I have substituted five beaters on them, but went back to the originals. Anyone could/would have done what I did with these pedals, I am nothing special. I have not played with double pedals so it is a learning experience but it is a lot of fun. I do like that I have an extra spring assembly on hand, even though through the years I have never had an issue with the spring, I just think that that is a very thin piece of metal that could break at any time and leave you without a bass drum to finish the gig. Like most of us on this forum, I sometimes tend to over-think things.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
These pedals are well worth the money, even if just used as a back up. They are rather heavy, not DW heavy, but not light either. I have maybe 20 hours on them, this is after all 2020. ha. The nut spun off the spring so I just put on a piece of tape to hold it. I have been adjusting the tension a lot to get them where I want them. Nothing else has been a problem. I like them. I have substituted five beaters on them, but went back to the originals. Anyone could/would have done what I did with these pedals, I am nothing special. I have not played with double pedals so it is a learning experience but it is a lot of fun. I do like that I have an extra spring assembly on hand, even though through the years I have never had an issue with the spring, I just think that that is a very thin piece of metal that could break at any time and leave you without a bass drum to finish the gig. Like most of us on this forum, I sometimes tend to over-think things.
I appreciate the look at your experience with these pedals. They seem like a good value especially for the money. Heavier pedals like them tend to feel more solid underfoot if we’re taking about the actual physical weight and build of the pedal.

It's either this or the pdp direct drive for me.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There was a company that had a double beater system with only one pedal. It had a way to engage/disengage the second beater. I always though it would be fun to have one. I would assume a second pedal/3rd beater added to it would make it a more versatile product. LOL But who knows.

sherm