3 leg hi hat stand: base plate vs radius rods

Pibroch

Reaction score
Background:
Am wanting to upgrade my very basic Gibraltar direct chain drive hi hat to one with:
a) faster, more precise response, and
b) a longer pedal so I can do fast heel-splash / toe-chick ostinatos without having to angle my foot back and forth, which I find very tiring.

Sometimes I have to play on uneven surfaces.

While I haven’t ruled out 2 leg stands, the purpose of this thread request is to ask for advice about stability for 3 leg options only.

The Question:
Would you please be able to offer any opinion as to whether, all other things being equal (hypothetically), a 3 leg stand is more stable with a base plate rather than a pair of radius rods?

I notice some model lines have 2 leg stands with base plates while the 3 leg variant has radius rods. Will of course be visiting retail stores testing various stands side be side using my own hats, but probably won’t be able to replicate every uneven floor/stage I’m likely to experience.

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Base plate all the way, BDP & HH. More stable, last longer without wear and sloppy fitting connections. Pretty simple choice, hunk of metal or a coat hanger holding your stuff together. I'll go with the hunk of metal.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I would go with radius rods, since I don't always set up on perfectly flat floors. A base plate can be rock solid if it's on a flat surface where it makes contact all along its surface, but if you end up with a lump of some kind in the middle, you can spend the gig dealing with a heel that sits a 1/4 inch off the floor.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For my playing, there is very little difference. When I set up my hi-hat, I push down on the tripod to firmly set the feet onto the surface, especially INTO the carpet. At the same time I pull up slightly on the lower part of the stand to minimize the amount of weight pushing down on the base plate or pedal. The point is to avoid high-centering the stand, ie allowing it to rest primarily on the base plate ..... thus allowing the stand to rock. The pedal or base should just barely contact the carpet ...... and I ALWAYS use a carpet!

I think the "radius rods" are more than adequate, and ARGuy's comment about uneven surfaces is right on also. I have a medium priced Gibraltar stand that is rock solid, as well as an Axis stand with a base plate. The Gibraltar stand is quicker to set up.

Mike

Latest posts