3 ply Ludwig with mahogany in the middle?

foxy_shazamtastic

Reaction score
Looks like poplar to me, but I’ve also heard that it’s actually really hard to tell wood species from just looking at the plies, there being so much variation in wood and it’s appearance. You can look at an all maple shell and it can appear to have multiple wood species but it’s actually just variation in color and grain orientation.

zenstat

Senior Cymbal Nerd
Reaction score
I see this as

foo.jpeg

but others will see it differently. As foxy says it is extremely hard to assign species with high accuracy just looking at the end grain and color. The Poplar layer in the Ludwig 3-ply sandwich tends to be much thicker than the outer and inner plys, although that's based on just looking at my 4 drums which are from around 1969/1970 along with photos others have posted.

Hope this helps.

Exploder

Reaction score
Well it certainly wont be Birch because according to another contraverversal post running
Rogers was using up all The Birch left right and center !!

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve had a dark core middle ply like that on Ludwig drums before but nothing more than memory to support it. I can see the drum is a Standard so the wood used might have had an anomaly like a darker center ply or similar feature to assign it to the budget line.

drummers_need_coffee.exe

Reaction score
I’ve had a dark core middle ply like that on Ludwig drums before but nothing more than memory to support it. I can see the drum is a Standard so the wood used might have had an anomaly like a darker center ply or similar feature to assign it to the budget line.
That’s interesting and definitely would make sense. Regardless, the drum sounds great and has nice low end.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here's my 1967 Ludwig super classic bass drum in lacquer. 2 inner plies are light. Outer ply is stained with paint - hard to say what that is.

IMG_20190618_003623.jpg

Last edited:

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey d_n_c_.e, are both bearing edges discolored or just the one? I'm thinking if it's only one, maybe the edge was exposed for a number of years as a single headed drum.

Here's a pic of one of my 3-ply drums for reference...

3 Ply.jpg

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Popular will generally darken significantly if coated with a clear finish or wax which could very well be the case here. Btw That edge is in rough shape.

Latest posts