header.nohb.html

3 years of weekly play on a single pair of sticks

Josh Vibert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
VF SD4 Combo’s. Compared to new. Interesting. I pulled them from my bag to retire them tonight. I do have a different pair I use for home practice.

A12E3BC9-63C5-441D-8576-805866FF8CF6.jpeg

Soulfinger

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great sticks, ain´t they?
I still have three pairs of SD4s that are more than 30 years old - they were the last (and only) sticks I used before I quit playing, but they saw a lot of action.
I now keep them at the rehearsal place as spares - still going strong. I only recently started using SD4s again and like them a lot.

Mapex Always

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Love the SD4 Combo , my 2nd favorite stick behind the wood/nylon versions of the stick below to the left , I use 3 different versions , as also seen in the pic below. The PM , VF and Meinl - great sticks.

DF439E83-1355-43E2-BE6C-09B289DBA2CF.jpeg

rkingston

Reaction score
they were the last (and only) sticks I used before I quit playing, but they saw a lot of action.
Quit playing? Have you published your story anywhere here? I’m intrigued.

(OP, sorry to go off topic for a moment)

Josh Vibert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Love the SD4 Combo , my 2nd favorite stick behind the wood/nylon versions of the stick below to the left , I use 3 different versions , as also seen in the pic below. The PM , VF and Meinl - great sticks.

View attachment 595344
What stick is that ( your favorite)? I can see that it’s a signature model, but not which one.

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's how maple sticks tend to wear. I use the lighter stick in my right hand, so the tip of that one wears faster.

Soulfinger

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Quit playing? Have you published your story anywhere here? I’m intrigued.

(OP, sorry to go off topic for a moment)
And I´m sorry for the confusion - I quit playing around 1990 or so when life kicked in (job, marriage, you know the deal...). Played other instruments over the years (trumpet, bass) and returned to the drums about five years ago. So I´m very much an active player again.

End of thread derailment. :)

Rivot

Reaction score
3 years one pair of sticks thats unheard of mine already have chips flying of them in 3 hours it must be V firth im using the 3an and play quiet hard and 70 percent rim shots.

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
My SD4s don't last that long. They get chewed up on my hats, even at extremely low volume. I get about a year of church playing out of mine before I need to replace them. Or if they just break at the shoulder on account of them being maple. I really dislike them. I think they feel terrible, but they do a great job for playing quietly.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Reaction score
What kind of music and playing situation are those of you in, who barely chip a stick in 3-30 years?

I applaud you if you're in loud bands and making sticks last that long with your drums un-amplified. The sticks in the first pic would be considered barely used in my drumming world.

old_K_ride

DFO Master
Reaction score
speaking of stickwear...I read an Antonio Sanchez interview years ago where he was describing how "aware" Pat Metheny is of everything on stage.
After a show,Pat asked him how many shows he'd used his current pair of sticks on...I think Sanchez said "3"...Pat told him to use a new pair cuz the ride cymbal didn't sound clear & defined enough...related...I read an interview ages ago of Danny Gottlieb,a Paiste artist.He said he & Pat flew to Switzerland,went to the factory...and PAT picked out Danny's cymbals to use.

Last edited: