$30K Billy Gladstone on CL

kona1984

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Arnie Lang is building me a drum right now and that is probably the closest I will ever come in my lifetime to owning a Gladstone drum.....
If Mr. Lang is building you a drum then you will <i>indeed</i> have a Gladstone albeit not made by Billy himself or Gretsch. Still, its going to be a proper Gladstone as he has the legal right to build that drum. That would be a dream drum for me Kona....! And it would be <i>far</i> easier for me to take a Lang Gladstone out and about to play and enjoy than a vintage version for sure. I'd be terrified of disaster...

Uhh, not really JB. Arnie is building a Gladstone replica. Unless Kona sent him an authentic 3 ply Gretsch snare shell then all is not the same. Will the replica sound good? Absolutely. I've played many at Arnie's hop when he was in Brooklyn and love most of them but I've also played two originals and there is a BIG difference in sound. The replicas are sharper and crisper where as the originals are more mellow.
Yes - it is very difficult - if not impossible - to send Arnie a 50's 3ply shell....They do, as I keep hearing, mellow with age.
However, I had Arnie do the next best thing. I asked him if I could have a 7x14 3PLY shell built....the way the Gretsch/Gladstone drums were built back in the day. Arnie was able to have a 3ply 7x14 shell built for me. He has built 3plys previously but not in the 7" depth and not it Cadillac Green (or close to it in my case). This drum...will also.."mellow with age." And after I'm long gone my great grandchildren (hope the drum is still in the fam) will find that out.

My drum is the first 3ply 7x14 that Arnie has built. He's doing the finishing touches on it now. So I should get the drum.....as he says......in my lifetime. But you never know.............................
:shock:

thebeebe5

DFO Master
Reaction score
Arnie Lang is building me a drum right now and that is probably the closest I will ever come in my lifetime to owning a Gladstone drum.....
If Mr. Lang is building you a drum then you will <i>indeed</i> have a Gladstone albeit not made by Billy himself or Gretsch. Still, its going to be a proper Gladstone as he has the legal right to build that drum. That would be a dream drum for me Kona....! And it would be <i>far</i> easier for me to take a Lang Gladstone out and about to play and enjoy than a vintage version for sure. I'd be terrified of disaster...

Uhh, not really JB. Arnie is building a Gladstone replica. Unless Kona sent him an authentic 3 ply Gretsch snare shell then all is not the same. Will the replica sound good? Absolutely. I've played many at Arnie's hop when he was in Brooklyn and love most of them but I've also played two originals and there is a BIG difference in sound. The replicas are sharper and crisper where as the originals are more mellow.
Who else builds drums using the Gladstone patented tuning mechanism and throw off etc....? I thought only he was licensed (or had the rights) to do so.... You know what I mean. You can't get anything else like it anywhere else, correct? Agreed they will sound different. Aged wood sounds different and there <i>has</i> to be differences in techniques that will result in a different sounding drum, doesn't there? Not to mention the variety of woods he has listed on the website. Still, it's the closest thing being made today and <i>does</i> rightfully have the Gladstone name attached.

Spongebob

DFO Master
Reaction score
JB,

You wrote the operative words..."Still, it's the closest thing being made today and does rightfully have the Gladstone name attached."

Really they're only connected by name and not definition.

kona1984

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That is correct. They have the Gladstone name attached.
They also have the hardware....that was painstakenly reverse engineered......that was on the Gladstone drums back in the day...including the unique tensioning system, the very cool muting device and a nameplate.......gotta have at least one nameplate.....I've ordered a second....for the case. I like the three-way key that Gladstone designed and had attached to the shell.
Again....all this is not the 'real deal' but Arnie Lang spent decades working on being able to offer folks like myself a chance at having a 'Gladstone' drum. And, from what I've heard from the people that have Arnie's drums - I'm very excited to be in-line to receive one.

Don't get me wrong here Spongebob...I know what you're saying....and I've read most of the history there is available on Gladstone drums so I do know what I'm getting into. I'm very good with it all.
:icon_smile:

JB,

You wrote the operative words..."Still, it's the closest thing being made today and does rightfully have the Gladstone name attached."

Really they're only connected by name and not definition.

Thud

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever owned the Tama Gladstone knock off? I have no idea if that one was licensed.
I've wondered for quite a while why Lang didn't seem to ever build 3 plies, when Billy G. himself seemed fanatical about them.

kona1984

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Arnie Lang will build a 3ply....from what he's told me a lot of people are just not interested in them. But, he will build what you want. I asked for a 3ply 7x14 and that is what he's built for me. Will Tillman is building some shells for Arnie..........check it out:
http://www.langpercussion.com/

Has anyone here ever owned the Tama Gladstone knock off? I have no idea if that one was licensed.
I've wondered for quite a while why Lang didn't seem to ever build 3 plies, when Billy G. himself seemed fanatical about them.

Thud

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That 5.5" 3 ply he's got there seems like a great deal at only $1350! I think I'd have to hold out for a 7" though in tribute to the man himself.

Zappa58

Reaction score

Thanks to all who have posted...just a little more updated info on this BG Snare.....

1) The CL listing was actually put up by a friend of Mrs. Van Hyning who thought that it would hit a more mass market.. We all know the dark and light of CL, and when she consulted other sources, it was removed.

2) Mrs. Van Hyning has the written documentation(s) of authenticity, some written by posters on here (you know who you are !) and as I said in an earlier post, it's genuine. Presently, a world renowned auction house is handling the drum in conjunction with the original Puccini (Turandot) Gongs, [Made by Tronci/UFIP] in the 1920s] for an international sale in the near future.

3) Although Mrs. Van Hyning is grateful for the efforts by Steve Maxwell and others, there were issues NOT related to money regarding this drum that prompted her to reclaim the instrument. Let's be real, friends, 99% of us CANNOT afford to purchase this fine historical instrument. It SHOULD be treated just like a fine Stradavarius violin. I said to Mrs. Van HYning recently, if the instrument could talk, it might say, "Why does no one perform with me anymore?" I also reminded her that it does the music world absolutely NO good merely sitting on a shelf in storage. She agreed and is moving forward with the international auction house listing.

Howard Van Hyning was a 40 year veteran of the New York City Opera and this drum was used for many performances in his long and illustrious career. Mrs. Van Hyning merely wants Howard's wishes for the drum and his other instruments to go on, in a musical sense. His Van Percussion, now run by Matt Dow (another great percussionist !) continues the musical legacy Howard began so many years ago.

Everyone have a great year with many high paying gigs !!!

Zappa........

kona1984

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes - Gold plated hardware.
The painter - in California - could not use Nitro Cellulose lacquer because it's banned in that State........here in BC Canada too I understand. He used a high-end Automobile paint made by Dupont.

Zappa58:
Thank you for all the information regarding the Van Hyning Gladstone drum. This thread has been most interesting in that regard. A lot of us on this Forum are drum history buffs in one way or another and love reading this stuff.
Good work!
:occasion5:

Gorgeous! Gold hardware?

royal ace

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Thanks to all who have posted...just a little more updated info on this BG Snare.....

3) Although Mrs. Van Hyning is grateful for the efforts by Steve Maxwell and others, there were issues NOT related to money regarding this drum that prompted her to reclaim the instrument. Let's be real, friends, 99% of us CANNOT afford to purchase this fine historical instrument. It SHOULD be treated just like a fine Stradavarius violin. I said to Mrs. Van HYning recently, if the instrument could talk, it might say, "Why does no one perform with me anymore?" I also reminded her that it does the music world absolutely NO good merely sitting on a shelf in storage. She agreed and is moving forward with the international auction house listing.

Howard Van Hyning was a 40 year veteran of the New York City Opera and this drum was used for many performances in his long and illustrious career. Mrs. Van Hyning merely wants Howard's wishes for the drum and his other instruments to go on, in a musical sense. His Van Percussion, now run by Matt Dow (another great percussionist !) continues the musical legacy Howard began so many years ago.

Zappa........
While Mrs.Van H. is entitled to realize whatever the market will bear on the sale of her drum, I think there is an inherent contradiction between the idea that it should be in the hands of a serious, performing musician while at the same time expecting it to fetch anything approaching the price estimate of $25,000, or more.
Only a very wealthy and passionate collector interested in the drum for its unique historical value would pay that much for a snare drum and, while that category of collector could include a handful of rock/pop stars, I dare say any serious percussionist, whatever his/her musical genre, is well aware of the various other high-end snare drums in the range of $1,000 to $2.000 capable of achieving at least as satisfying musical results.
It's disingenuous to compare it to a Strativarius violin. For one, the incomplete list of Strads documents 282 extant, which makes them far more numerous than the 'unique" drum in question... though it could be said that each and every Strad is "unique". Also, while it's highly questionable as to whether any given Strad could be reproduced, the particular metal drum in question could certainly be accurately and satisfactorily reproduced, which begs the question of why it has not been.
Ron

curotto

DFO Master
Reaction score

Zappa........
While Mrs.Van H. is entitled to realize whatever the market will bear on the sale of her drum, I think there is an inherent contradiction between the idea that it should be in the hands of a serious, performing musician while at the same time expecting it to fetch anything approaching the price estimate of $25,000, or more.
Only a very wealthy and passionate collector interested in the drum for its unique historical value would pay that much for a snare drum and, while that category of collector could include a handful of rock/pop stars, I dare say any serious percussionist, whatever his/her musical genre, is well aware of the various other high-end snare drums in the range of $1,000 to $2.000 capable of achieving at least as satisfying musical results.
It's disingenuous to compare it to a Strativarius violin. For one, the incomplete list of Strads documents 282 extant, which makes them far more numerous than the 'unique" drum in question... though it could be said that each and every Strad is "unique". Also, while it's highly questionable as to whether any given Strad could be reproduced, the particular metal drum in question could certainly be accurately and satisfactorily reproduced, which begs the question of why it has not been.
Ron
I've seen, held and played the drum while it was at Steve Maxwell's NYC shop. First off, the top rim is cracked so there goes the tension, tuning, playability etc...In my humble opinion the drum is more of a collectible snare drum than a playable snare drum. If I owned the drum I would have the top rim fixed and re-plated. I would clean up the drum and get it to era-correctness and display it proudly. There are many more vintage and new snare drums that will play way better than this tired old drum. Just my opinion.

Mike Curotto

kona1984

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I agree Mike.
This drum should be on display...either in a drum/music museum or in a very nice drum collection. I have a feeling it will be.

curotto

DFO Master
Reaction score
I agree also...The drum has a little bit of "bad mojo" attached to it as it was originally consigned to Steve Maxwell's NYC shop and then the owner pulled a fast one on Steve and pulled the plug on Steve and tried to weasel out of the commission.
You are not going to sell a drum like that on Craig's List and most likely not on Ebay either. Just my opinion.

Mike Curotto

kona1984

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I guess enough people know about the drum now because all of the 'press' on the Forum (Vintage Drum community is relatively small) that there maybe someone already thinking about buying it. Aren't there some millionaire drum collectors out there that would want this drum? If I became an instant millionaire I KNOW I'd have an instant drum museum.........I'd be too dangerous haha

:occasion7:

mpiturro

Reaction score
Hello. I am Howard's widow and the owner of the BG drum. Despite the many false and hurtful things said about me on this forum (and thanks to those with the sense and the courtesy to realize there are two sides to this story) I care a great deal about the drum and want it to eventually find the right new home. One thing you might be interested in is that I am a good steward of anything entrusted to my care. I made several mistakes when I allowed two vendors to offer this gorgeous BG drum for sale and then abruptly withdrew it. Howard was mortally ill at that time and I could not handle the responsibility of caring for him and selling the drum. Now that 18 months have passed since Howard died I am moving forward.
By profession I am journalist, not a percussionist. Although Howard kept the BG drum in his studio and used it occasionally, preferring his customized Ludwig snare for everyday use, I realized it was valuable when top collectors started asking casually if it was for sale.(I'll omit the nasty and sleazy way I was treated by some of those people).
One reason I did not sell it before is that the top hoop was broken clean through and I decided to explore my options about remedying the situation before doing anything else. Fortunately, I recently acquired a set of Gretsch Gladstone hoops from the 1940's and have had them drilled to accommodate the drum's outsized lugs by the most highly skilled expert I could find. My next step is to have the hoops replated to match the rest of the drum. When I offer it for sale the new owner will have both the original hoops and the replacement set, to use as he or she sees fit. I will keep you posted on my progress.

Titletown Tim

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mrs Van Hyning,

I am sorry for the loss of your husband.
Thank you for joining DFO and posting your side of the story on this rare drum.
Best wishes with your sale.