$30K Billy Gladstone on CL

curotto

DFO Master
Reaction score
Tim,
Thank you so much. So far, it's going well. msvh
For what it's worth I don't think Craig's List or Ebay are the best places for a drum like that, you will get more "tire-kickers" than serious bidders. That's only my opinion though. Are you going to have a broker take care of the sale for you?

Mike Curotto

mpiturro

Reaction score
Mike,
I agree completely. Putting the Gladstone drum on CL was an egregious mistake but I was under terrible pressure trying to take care of Howard and to liquidate his percussion instrument rental business. Fortunately, I realized before it was too late that the BG drum was very different than the rest of Howard's instruments I had to sell, so I withdrew the drum from the listing. I'm so glad that I did. In the interim a percussionist came along who bought the business, much to my relief. He is doing a great job restoring some of Howard's vintage instruments and restoring the business' reputation.
BTW-as I mentioned I'm putting a set of vintage Gretsch Gladstone hoops on the drum but I'm not trying to repair the original broken hoop. Do you know what kind of metal it is? It's very soft and is light gray in color? Any help would be appreciated. mrsvh

curotto

DFO Master
Reaction score
Mike,
I agree completely. Putting the Gladstone drum on CL was an egregious mistake but I was under terrible pressure trying to take care of Howard and to liquidate his percussion instrument rental business. Fortunately, I realized before it was too late that the BG drum was very different than the rest of Howard's instruments I had to sell, so I withdrew the drum from the listing. I'm so glad that I did. In the interim a percussionist came along who bought the business, much to my relief. He is doing a great job restoring some of Howard's vintage instruments and restoring the business' reputation.
BTW-as I mentioned I'm putting a set of vintage Gretsch Gladstone hoops on the drum but I'm not trying to repair the original broken hoop. Do you know what kind of metal it is? It's very soft and is light gray in color? Any help would be appreciated. mrsvh
The rims are probably die-cast...I have a guy that does my welding/brazing/soldering etc...he is worth his weight in gold, that's how good he is. If you want to send me the rim I can probably have him fix it for a very nominal fee (no extra fee on my part, just trying to help out)...I'm well aware that you don't know me but if you ask around here or Google me or check out my Ebay 100% positive feedbacks you'll see that I can be trusted...feel free to email me at: mike@curottodrums.com or call me at my drum studio: 650-595-2022 PST.

Mike Curotto

mpiturro

Reaction score
Mike,
Thank you so much but the consensus on this forum is that the drum should be left in its original condition. I'm afraid to do anything that would detract from its authenticity. What do you advise? mrsvh

curotto

DFO Master
Reaction score
Mike,
Thank you so much but the consensus on this forum is that the drum should be left in its original condition. I'm afraid to do anything that would detract from its authenticity. What do you advise? mrsvh
If I was buying this drum I would ask to receive everything as-is so I could get my grubby little hands on it to restore...This may be true for other buyers too but there will be some potential buyers that do not have the resources to get that rim fixed...

Personally speaking, I would at least have the top rim repaired correctly and disclose in your future listing that the top rim has been repaired by a professional...As I stated a few posts above, I would be willing to help you out by having your rim fixed by my welder/machinist that I trust completely with any of my vintage parts. Feel free to contact me (see above post) if you need or want my help.

Mike Curotto

mpiturro

Reaction score
Mike,
I appreciate your advice and expertise. Thanks. And to answer Ron, this is fun for me. I'm learning a lot outside my area of expertise (journalism), and that's always fun and interesting. mrsvh

BRIAN

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am really learning alot from this, please keep us in the loop. If there is a topic that I don't much care for I simply don't read it.........Thanks Mike and mrsvh, I hope that this snare finds itself in good hands someday.

mpiturro

Reaction score
Very runny! Gentlemen, shall we keep the discourse civil? There's been too much mud slinging on this forum. Let's turn the corner here... I have another question for the experts. The set of 1941 Gretsch Gladstone replacement rims I purchased recently were 24K gold plated, as is the drum itself, but a lot of the plating has worn off. I plan to have them replated after the drum expert has enlarged the rim's holes to accomodate the oversized lugs/rods. But the rims will then be much shinier than the rest of the drum. How can I "age" them to match the drum shell? mrsvh

thebeebe5

DFO Master
Reaction score
mrsvh,

I have aged chrome parts in a closed container that allowed circulation around the part on all sides. Inside I placed a container of acid (muriatic acid was handy as we have a pool) and allowed the parts too sit for a period of time while the gas from the cup of acid etched the chrome. I would advise being extremely careful though should you try this. You might be able to have the company that chromes the hoops perform this for you as well if they handle that kind of thing... In fact it might be a good idea to start out with a chrome shop that is capable of both processes.

Good luck.

mpiturro

Reaction score
mrsvh,

I have aged chrome parts in a closed container that allowed circulation around the part on all sides. Inside I placed a container of acid (muriatic acid was handy as we have a pool) and allowed the parts too sit for a period of time while the gas from the cup of acid etched the chrome. I would advise being extremely careful though should you try this. You might be able to have the company that chromes the hoops perform this for you as well if they handle that kind of thing... In fact it might be a good idea to start out with a chrome shop that is capable of both processes.

Good luck.

mpiturro

Reaction score
Dear Drum Czar,
Handling that acid sounds a bit dicey for an amateur. I'll ask the folks who are electroplating it what they would advise. Thanks for the tips. mrsvh (marlene)

curotto

DFO Master
Reaction score
Very runny! Gentlemen, shall we keep the discourse civil? There's been too much mud slinging on this forum. Let's turn the corner here... I have another question for the experts. The set of 1941 Gretsch Gladstone replacement rims I purchased recently were 24K gold plated, as is the drum itself, but a lot of the plating has worn off. I plan to have them replated after the drum expert has enlarged the rim's holes to accomodate the oversized lugs/rods. But the rims will then be much shinier than the rest of the drum. How can I "age" them to match the drum shell? mrsvh
Gold can be aged but I would leave that to the collector that buys your drum to seek out his/her professionals that can handle the situation. Not trying to beat a dead horse here but my platers also do gold and they can "age" any finish. I would have the original rim fixed first.

Mike Curotto

BrianOwens

Drumsforever
Reaction score
Gold can be aged but I would leave that to the collector that buys your drum to seek out his/her professionals that can handle the situation. Not trying to beat a dead horse here but my platers also do gold and they can "age" any finish. I would have the original rim fixed first.

Mike Curotto
What an interesting drum! Historical examples like this very seldom appear on the market not to mention on this drum forum. Mike is one of our most knowledgeable members and stewards of rare American drums.
Is this drum going to be restored 100% including plating or is it your goal to have it restored to period correct parts and in playable condition? I would recommend the latter since all collectors do not want pristine restored (like new) examples of a rare and cherished relic. I am not really sure what is best to maximize your profit and will leave that up to Mike.

IMHO- Sometimes, the barn find is the best find. Keep us posted with your progress!

BTW- This is a wonderful forum in spite of a seldom rant, mean spirited insult that is possibly motivated by indifference and/or arrogance.

mpiturro

Reaction score
To answer the question about restoring the BG drum, I'm being very cautious. When the opportunity came up to buy the 1941 GG rims I jumped at it, pleased to find that the owners of the rims had bought several of my late husband's Ludwig snare drums and drum sets. It was nice to touch base with them again.
When I found the right machinist to drill the holes in the rims to accommodate the oversized lugs we had a close call. Before enlarging the holes we had to make sure that there would be enough room to fit the drum key (the little three-headed wrench-sorry, I'm not an expert about the terminology of BG drums)between the lugs and the rim. Fortunately, we were successful. The work should be done within the next few days. Should I post some pictures of the drum with the replacement rims? mrsvh (Marlene)

BrianOwens

Drumsforever
Reaction score
To answer the question about restoring the BG drum, I'm being very cautious. When the opportunity came up to buy the 1941 GG rims I jumped at it, pleased to find that the owners of the rims had bought several of my late husband's Ludwig snare drums and drum sets. It was nice to touch base with them again.
When I found the right machinist to drill the holes in the rims to accommodate the oversized lugs we had a close call. Before enlarging the holes we had to make sure that there would be enough room to fit the drum key (the little three-headed wrench-sorry, I'm not an expert about the terminology of BG drums)between the lugs and the rim. Fortunately, we were successful. The work should be done within the next few days. Should I post some pictures of the drum with the replacement rims? mrsvh (Marlene)
Marlene, Many of us here would be very interested to see your progress in the form of pictures. Please post at your convenience. Thanks much, Brian

mpiturro

Reaction score
Very good news! The hoops have been drilled out to accommodate the oversized lugs. I plan to pick them up later today. If possible I will post some pictures of them on the drum. Please excuse their color for now. I will have them replated. mrsvh (Marlene)

View attachment 127093View attachment 127094

mpiturro

Reaction score
Sorry it's not a great picture but you can see in the picture on the right that the new top hoop fits the way it is supposed to. There's just enough room to inset the drum key so that I can tighten the lugs. Next stop--have the hoops replated to match the rest of the drum. mrsvh (Marlene)

mpiturro

Reaction score
Next step-I found someone to replate the hoops nearby but have to talk to them further. Quick question-will the plating affect the diameter of the holes in the hoops? Right now I can use the drum key to adjust the lugs but I'm concerned that the plating will reduce my margin of error. What do you guys advise? mrsvh (Marlene)

homeby5

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the pic and the updated info. It's refreshing to follow along. Can you ask the the plater of the thickness that he is going to plate. Then you machinist guy who did the holes can probably can probably answer your question. I wouldn't think there would be a problem but it is better to be sure.
Tom