$30K Billy Gladstone on CL

mpiturro

Reaction score
Tom, thanks. It is better to be sure. You can only imagine how dealing with the BG drums makes me nervous because I don't want to make a mistake. The hoops were hard to come by and I assume that getting the holes drilled correctly was the hard part, but I want to ensure that the plating goes well, too. mrsvh (Marlene)

mpiturro

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Good news about my late husband's 24K gold-plated BG drum. After several unsuccessful attempts to have the 1941 set of Gretsch-Gladstone replacement rims replated, I finally found a super professional expert to do the job perfectly. He determined that the original rim and the replacements were "pot metal", and were very soft metal. The new hoops were very pitted and he smoothed them out before replating the rims with 24K gold. They came out shiny new and then we went to work on 'antinquing' them so that they match the drum. I am really thrilled with how they came out.
My next step is to have Howard's drum tech make a sound recording of the drum with the original (broken) hoop and and the replacement rims. As you guys know I'm a civilian rather than a drummer, so I will let others decide if this makes a difference. mrsvh

curotto

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Good news about my late husband's 24K gold-plated BG drum. After several unsuccessful attempts to have the 1941 set of Gretsch-Gladstone replacement rims replated, I finally found a super professional expert to do the job perfectly. He determined that the original rim and the replacements were "pot metal", and were very soft metal. The new hoops were very pitted and he smoothed them out before replating the rims with 24K gold. They came out shiny new and then we went to work on 'antinquing' them so that they match the drum. I am really thrilled with how they came out.
My next step is to have Howard's drum tech make a sound recording of the drum with the original (broken) hoop and and the replacement rims. As you guys know I'm a civilian rather than a drummer, so I will let others decide if this makes a difference. mrsvh
Can't wait to see photos!

Mike Curotto

mpiturro

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
Can't wait to see photos!

Mike Curotto

mpiturro

Reaction score
Thanks, Mike. I think you'll love the job Empire did on the hoops. I didn't realize that they were so heavily pitted. They really polished the hoops before replating and that made all the difference. I may just put the top hoop on for now--I don't want to interfere with the snares in replacing the bottom hoop, which is not broken. mrsvh

mpiturro

Reaction score
Here are some picutres of the BG drum with a new replacement top head and the 24K gold plated rim. We left the old bottom rim on because it was not broken, as the top hoop was. Please note that one picture shows the drum with the old head. The last picture compares the replacement and the broken rim. Other news-I'm hoping to have a concert in the fall in which the drum will be displayed and played. mrsvh

mpiturro

Reaction score
Thanks. It took me some time to find the right people to drill the holes to exact specs and to replate the rims but it was well worth it. I'm glad you agree.

BRIAN

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great job, you really did a service on this project.....nice

mpiturro

Reaction score
Outstanding, and a testament to your determination...
Thanks everyone. Question-what do you think of the idea of having a PAS concert at which someone would play the drum? Would people be interested? Any ideas of who's a great snare drummer? Howard was great, but I'm prejudiced. mrsvh

curotto

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Question-what do you think of the idea of having a PAS concert at which someone would play the drum? Would people be interested? Any ideas of who's a great snare drummer? Howard was great, but I'm prejudiced. mrsvh
Arnie Lang, logical choice because of the Gladstone connection...Chris Lamb of the NY Philharmonic...

Mike Curotto

mpiturro

Reaction score
Arnie Lang, logical choice because of the Gladstone connection...Chris Lamb of the NY Philharmonic...

Mike Curotto
Great idea. Chris was very supportive to me during Howard's final illness. He's just so busy I hesitate to ask him. M

curotto

DFO Master
Reaction score

Mike Curotto
Great idea. Chris was very supportive to me during Howard's final illness. He's just so busy I hesitate to ask him. M
It never hurts to ask, maybe when the NY Philharmonic's season ends or on a Sunday when the NYP is not performing...

Mike Curotto

Latest posts