311 Style Wood Snare Recommendations

blackcrowe311

Reaction score
Besides just high tuning, I'm looking for that quintessential snare sound like 311's drummer Chad Sexton's tone, basically any funk/reggae drummers snare, high number ply snare, etc. I've owned a 6.5 x 14 vented OCDP snare and Pearl piccolo snare before, played around on other various snares, Pork Pies, etc. Looking at a Spaun acrylic coke bottle vented snare and a wooden one from them. But what do you recommend/use, and what do you like about it? Wooden snares only please. Thanks!

blackcrowe311

Reaction score

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
He used a maple pearl free floater for a lot years before OCDP, and came back to it for a while when he joined Pearl again.

blackcrowe311

Reaction score
He absolutely did. The vented Orange County snare I had definitely was right there in terms of the same company/gear, but he had the older custom USA made ones and he used something to the effect of like 30 or 40 maple ply on his OCDP snares.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
A 1" thick stave 7x14 wood snare drum with die cast hoops. Any wood type will due, but it must be a thicker shell.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
One of the 13 ply dw purpleheart snares may get you there

RobbiefromAtlanta

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Also here are the snares he uses

14x5.5 Masters MCX snare drum
14x5.5 Reference Pure snare drum
14x5.5 Sensitone Steel snare drum
14x5 Reference Series Brass
12x7 Soprano Maple
14x5- Free Floating snare (wood)

deegeebee

Reaction score
Also here are the snares he uses

14x5.5 Masters MCX snare drum
14x5.5 Reference Pure snare drum
14x5.5 Sensitone Steel snare drum
14x5 Reference Series Brass
12x7 Soprano Maple
14x5- Free Floating snare (wood)
So basically just a bunch of decent normal sounding snare drums with one 12" thrown in, probably from when that was hip.

Whenever I want to chanel that 90s rock vibe I shift my rim-shots off-centre to get some more of that high-end crack. More inspired by Jimmy-Chamberlain's playing about an inch to the left of center than by 311, but same sort of deal.

RobbiefromAtlanta

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So basically just a bunch of decent normal sounding snare drums with one 12" thrown in, probably from when that was hip.

Whenever I want to chanel that 90s rock vibe I shift my rim-shots off-centre to get some more of that high-end crack. More inspired by Jimmy-Chamberlain's playing about an inch to the left of center than by 311, but same sort of deal.
As you said it’s all in his technique. Notice in the video of where the head is worn. Like an inch to 2 inches from the rim. Obviously will sound a little different with each drum but not so much to where he can’t get his sound. Not really a fan of 311 but respect Chad for finding his voice and his drumming skills.

blackcrowe311

Reaction score

Love Jimmy's playing and snare tone too!

blackcrowe311

Reaction score
Love Jimmy's playing and snare tone too!

Don't forget about all the different 30 or 40 ply vented OCDP snares he used. Thats where the initial 311 sound was most recognized by the mainstream. Listen to the snare in that video. That aint no Pearl ;)