$350 shipped! 5x14 Ludwig Bronze Supraphonic w/ Tubes

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
This is a total "lifetime" drum... I've just got too many of those, and am getting rid of stuff that's functionally duplicate for me.

The bronze Supras are the closest to 20s heavy brass 2-piece NOB/"Black Beauty" type shells I've heard (and I own two 20s 2-piece heavy brass drums, hence the redundancy for me). This one, with factory original tubes, has a hair more openness and 'zing' than the ones with Imperials, and moves it even more towards the Black Beauty vibe.

Compared to a regular Supra, I think the Bronze Supras are a little darker, a little woodier. Less crunch, more punch... smoother. A lot of low end that really carries into the room, if you want it: works at any tuning you throw at it. A very "elegant" sounding drum.

I remember one time when I took it to a brushes and 7As jazz trio brunch gig, used it with a metal band the same night, and then threw it in the trunk for a country-rock recording session the next day. Never retuned it or changed heads. It's just a great sounding drum!

Drum has a couple of minor cosmetics: a small ding above the buttplate (photo makes it look much bigger than it is) and a couple of flakes in the lacquer, all visible in the photos. I can't tell whether there's a small indentation in the lug to the right of the buttplate; it looks there or not there depending on lighting.

Throwoff is a silverface P85. Can't remember whether it's the original or not. I remember trying a P86 for kicks on this at some point, but wound up putting this P85 back on as I just prefer side-action throws.

Will ship with Puresound wires.

Can I hear $370 shipped CONUS?

Last edited:

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yup. Great drums. I’ve got two. This is the era to buy, before the change in butt plates.

GLWS

drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Do the newer butt plates affect the shell resonance or?

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
The newer butt plates are giant boat anchors. These are less beefy but have been getting the job done just fine since... well... my 1919 Ludwig has an older version of this one on it! If I was ordering a new Ludwig snare, this is the butt I'd get on it.

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
This has NOT sold, not sure why it got moved over here... mods, could you please put this back in "for sale"?

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
Thanks, mods!

Back to the top with a couple bucks off. Anyone want this beauty?

Dasparks

Reaction score
Nice drum with a nice price. Surprised this hasn’t been bought yet. I have one just like it with imperial lugs. Really like the look with tube lugs though.

Best of luck with the sale!

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
This one is a no brainer! Somebody jump on it. Already have one here.

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
Yeah, somehow it is! Two sales have fallen through. Bump to the top. Very fair price on a killer seamless bronze drum!

Latest posts