4.5x14 80s Brady Jarrah block snare drum

Moonman

Reaction score
Hi all. I acquired this drum a number of years ago for a reasonable price after selling another pristine Brady that was a 12x7 Sheoak Block, but I no longer needed as much as I did the $ at the time.

I picked up the 4.5x14 drum at a reasonable price b/c the edges had been re-done by Gaither Custom Drums. Everything sounded and looked great, until...

I was replacing the heads last year and discovered there was a small crack down a seam next to one of the tension lug mounts. I'm not sure what to do with this thing.

I have plenty of snares I'm using and this one is just sitting here in a protective hard case. I don't want to touch it and do any more damage.

Can anyone here suggest a builder that could fix this for me? I'm totally on the fence about whether to sell it for cheap and be done or to have it fixed and keep it. I'm open to any and all suggestions. I can also post pictures if this thread gets any responses. I appreciate your help.

Many thanks, Chris

Moonman

Reaction score
A little more information: I don't want to spend a ton on having it fixed b/c it will likely become an art piece for me and my purposes. I'm not a collector and really have no interest in collecting drums I'm not playing regularly. There are enough affordable drums for me to experiment with and I'm not an endorser of any kind. Weekend warrior here.

So the main question is.... FIX it, or SELL it? If either, anyone have an idea of what this is worth damaged and how much it would cost to fix? Thanks again.

Reaction score
If you would like to sell it, PM me with a price I would be interested, but I would need to see pictures of the crack.
Thanks,
MSG

Moonman

Reaction score
If you would like to sell it, PM me with a price I would be interested, but I would need to see pictures of the crack.
Thanks,
MSG
I'm still collecting information, but if I decide to sell it, I'll PM you first before any listings. Thanks for your response.

PS - I'll be happy to pay the forum price for sales if this ends up in that direction. I'm not intending this to be a for sale thread.

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
I would imagine its a rare drum with a rre voice...I'd fix it and play the heck out of it.
I would think there are a few people out there who could address the damage and repair it for less than an arm and a leg.

That said...if you do think of selling...put me next on the list please.

rdumas

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I acquired this drum a number of years ago for a reasonable price after selling another pristine Brady that was a 12x7 Sheoak Block, but I no longer needed as much as I did the $ at the time.

I picked up the 4.5x14 drum at a reasonable price b/c the edges had been re-done by Gaither Custom Drums. Everything sounded and looked great, until...

I was replacing the heads last year and discovered there was a small crack down a seam next to one of the tension lug mounts. I'm not sure what to do with this thing.

I have plenty of snares I'm using and this one is just sitting here in a protective hard case. I don't want to touch it and do any more damage.

Can anyone here suggest a builder that could fix this for me? I'm totally on the fence about whether to sell it for cheap and be done or to have it fixed and keep it. I'm open to any and all suggestions. I can also post pictures if this thread gets any responses. I appreciate your help.

Many thanks, Chris
Exeter Drum Works. Custom stave drum maker. I own a couple of their snares and they do excellent work. Contact Jeff there and he may be able to help you.

jeffh

Reaction score
Sounds like there may have been some impact on the lug causing the crack, although usually the crack would be along the wood grain rather than along the joint. My guess is it's fixable. Got photos?