4 vintage snares

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah all very nice drums. For a warm vintage vibe the two that jump out at me are the 60's Slingerland and the Round Badge 4103. That kit still kills me!

Reaction score
That set sounds really good. Snares? I dig the deep Ludwig Coliseum (I just have never liked the look of COW., but that's my problem) But if you are REALLY going to compare, how about the snares off sound, cross stick, and brushes on all of them.

And yeah, "I love them all for different reasons," the mantra for a SD junkie in his infancy.
Just. Walk. Away.

Trust me!
MSG

Last edited:

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like that Coliseum.
Me too :cool:

I have two of them. The other is black diamond pearl Precision re-wrap to match my Gretsch kit. I sold the Gretsch kit so Im going to put the BDP Coliseum up for sale.

I love how the Chrome finish is like a mirror and reflects the Pink Glitter. Its very hip. And thats the one Billy Higgins played.
20200713_222821.jpg

Last edited:

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
As inappropriate as it is for a cute 'lil bop kit like that, the Collesium takes it for me: very (dare I say "Super"?) sensitive, great dynamic and tonal range. A close second is the brass Gretsch. More sensitive than I expected (and I've owned one of them for 32 years), yet not too crisp. Some good rich tones.

On a good day in the right room, though, I'll bet that matching Slingy's gonna sound just like home!

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The 4160 is the most "woody" sounding metal snare Ive ever played.

Also..does anyone else notice how each snare "makes" the toms and bass drum sound "different"?

Weird.

Then there is the feel under your hands. An important factor because 99% of a gig is snare and ride cymbal

In that respect I enjoy the Ludwig and Slingerland the most. They are effortless whearas the Gretsch snares(maybe because of the diecast rims) take "a little more work" to play.

Maybe not more work...just different I guess.

dtk

DFO Star
Reaction score
is it really pronounced Can O' water?...I thought it was Can opus.......the Ludwig sounded surprisingly good (to me).

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
is it really pronounced Can O' water?...I thought it was Can opus.......the Ludwig sounded surprisingly good (to me).
Yeah. The ludwig is a sleeper for jazz. billy higgins baby.

Originally made for Rock drummers playing in stadiums and large venues right?

Pronunciation

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think I have my Slingerlands dialed in too. I tried like 7 sets of heads and just came back to remo abassadors! Who would have thunk.

I am going to keep these heads on the next 45 years . ( I am 55 and plan in dying when I am 95 :cool: )

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like the Slingerland and the coliseum the best.
Your video made me think that I should get a Slingerland snare to go with the set I'm working on!
Thanks for the vid!

squidart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
With your taste and impeccable technique, I’d wager you could make a standard issue Taiwan bean tin snare sound great.

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
With your taste and impeccable technique, I’d wager you could make a standard issue Taiwan bean tin snare sound great.
I swear by canopus vintage wires. They make any snare sound better.

Last edited:

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My Coliseum is so much bigger it is no match for my 12" tom.

The Coliseum is always bullying my other drums but they can't do anything about.

The other advantage to the Coliseum is if my dumbbells aren't around I can use it for bicep curls, front laterals and sumo squats and get a full workout in.

Last edited:

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Fwiw this was the Slingerland when I bought it. Hip wrap and in perfect condition.

I should have had Precision wrap the whole kit in that!

Screenshot_20200714-200737_Chrome.jpg