$40....yes, $40. Sold In minutes.

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
From the Pre 1980 Vintage drum group

Scammer warning: Do not do business with Nathan Zaworski out of Chicago. He is taking money and not producing the product.

He got me for $1300 on a Gretsch Kit and he got David Connaroe on a Slingerland set.

this just in: He got Nick Romanelli for $200....

I drove 4 hours to meet him, only to find he wasn't there.

Avoid at all costs, 100% crook

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
There has reports on FB of a scammer ripping people off with a Gretch satin flame kit

Don't know if it's the same guy

Taking people for a ride on paypal
Could very well be. I wrote to seller $40? He wrote back someone is coming to get them. That was within 16 minutes. If for real, somebody got lucky.

dingaling

Reaction score
There’s a deals thread somewhere on here. I got a mint ayotte wood hoop 6 piece kit on CL for something like $800 17 years ago. Wasn’t stolen, pro drummer sold them. When they were $4-6,000.

richardh253

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
my grandmother was fond of saying: "If it seems to good to be true, it probably is."

She also said "You only need one buyer if you're pretending to sell the Brooklyn Bridge."

That said, if legit, well, sometimes the wheel spins and lands on your number.

tubelugs

Reaction score
...if legit, well, sometimes the wheel spins and lands on your number.
A few years ago, when I was building snares, I was glancing through the PennySaver or Recycler and saw an ad saying “Snare drum shells. Raw, never finished. Single-ply steam-bent maple. $2 each.” I called right away, figuring some mis-print. The woman who picked up said no, they were her boyfriend’s and he didn’t have space for them anymore. (I thought yeah, wonder if he’s taking up space there anymore?

Anyway she said the ad was for real and there were 10 shells. I told her I’d be there within an hour, and I was. Sitting on the porch was the box you see in the attached picture. I’ve blanked out a section where there’s a stamp naming the “economy” brand of a bigger manufacturer about 20 miles from where I live, a little north of LA.

She came out and said “Sorry, there’s only nine - he decided to keep one of them.” I looked in the box, and it contained brand new, top-quality shells. Handed her a twenty, tried not to sound too gleeful when saying she could keep the change, and lugged the box to my car before she changed her mind.

There’s a twist, and a happy ending. Driving home I started thinking about that stamp on the box. Damn it, I thought, if they’re stolen I can’t, in good conscience, just be quiet and keep them. The main company’s single-ply snares sell for many hundreds of dollars. Struggle struggle struggle, angel on shoulder wins, when I got home I emailed the main manufacturer a photo of the box and explained how I’d come into possession of it. Didn’t dare ask if I could keep it; all I could bring myself to say was that I was writing to make them aware of the situation and would follow whatever next steps they saw fit to take. They wrote back, surprised, said they’d look into it and get back to me.

They tracked down the story pretty quick, as you might imagine. Turns out their economy brand offered a single-ply snare (with shells crafted in China) for just a year or two. When they discontinued it, they told staff to toss remaining parts. Apparently the guy charged with heaving the box of unfinished shells into a dumpster just couldn’t do it, took them home, and eventually they ended up in the ad i saw. The main company didn’t want them back. And hey, since I was an amateur builder, I was welcome to schedule a personal tour of the “big” manufacturer’s facility any time.

I think there are two shells left in that box, and even if I don’t get around to building them out, I won’t let them go.

Attachments