400 drums challenge w/Cozy Powell

Nubs

Reaction score
I found that to be quite comical. So he just needed to hit 400 drums. I believe I heard some misses in there.

What was the final verdict on this?

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I thought I heard Cozy say he would do 400 "different drum beats." I only saw and heard one stroke per drum.

In any case, that's pretty cool for doing that sight-unseen for the first time. Most drummers can't go that fast on their own kits hitting 8-10 toms. Assuming he did hit all 400 drums (came close) that works out to be 7 toms per second. Not bad.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
"He took time out from recording with his new band, Emerson, Lake & Powell..."
Wow. And I saw them on that tour!
I remember Kurt Loder on MTV joking that Cozy got the gig only because Carl Perkins (Also CP) wasn't available....don't know why I remember that or why I still think it's funny 30some years later

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I feel like an idiot for thinking there's no way he could do it. It wasn't until he started playing that I realized you only need to play at 100 BPM to get 400 sixteenth notes in a minute. I spent four years in marching band, but I don't think I have the coordination anymore to walk and play like that.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
I feel like an idiot for thinking there's no way he could do it. It wasn't until he started playing that I realized you only need to play at 100 BPM to get 400 sixteenth notes in a minute. I spent four years in marching band, but I don't think I have the coordination anymore to walk and play like that.
Just imagine how many drums some of the modern drum corps guys could hit in a minute. Especially some of the tenor players that know how to incorporate the sweeps into the playing. They would make this video look like slow motion.

Latest posts