404 ride/crash

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
Thinking about picking up a 404 ride to use as a crash out of curiosity.
I have three set ups now, Zildjian A, A Custom, and Paiste Signature. Will there play nice with any of them or am I going to be looking for a second crash?

tris66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have one that blends well with about everything. I have played one that did not. Might depend on the individual cymbal. 404's might not have had as tight as tolerances as the upper and more modern Paistes.

tillerva

Reaction score
That's interesting. Hopefully I'll find out in a little while.

tillerva

Reaction score
Yes, got the cymbal the other day (off eBay by the way, one of the worst packing jobs I've ever seen, but arrived fine).

I'm playing Signature crashes and a Sound Formula ride and it fits ok with them although not as loud as the crashes, but won't take the place of any of those.

Haven't tried it with my As yet.

MarcCrossland

Reaction score
I can't imagine 404's blending with A's or A customs...I have 404 med. hats, 20" ride and 22" ride that I both use as crashes. They are all very dark, as opposed to the A brightness. It might work, but I wouldn't bet on it blending well.

tris66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
MarcCrossland said:
I can't imagine 404's blending with A's or A customs...I have 404 med. hats, 20" ride and 22" ride that I both use as crashes. They are all very dark, as opposed to the A brightness. It might work, but I wouldn't bet on it blending well.
"Blend" might not be the right word, I agree. But then again it is a question of degree, personal taste, the sonic effect you are going for and the genre you are playing in. Does a wood snare 'blend' with a wood kit more than a fiberglass, brass or steel snare? Gotta answer that question for yourself. Does a 'dry' cymbal fit in with a 'wet' cymbal set? Some people do it all the time. Attack, decay, harmonic content, pitch.... What are you trying to blend and what are you trying to make stick out? The 404 i have is definitley darker than the b20s it will sit next to. Black olives sitting next to the green olives on the relish tray.

tillerva

Reaction score
Well, I have it set up next to my A's now and it does work a bit better than with the Signatures. I think the cymbal itself may not be for me though. It's a pretty good crash and would make a great heavy crash, which maybe I'll need down the road. I could not see ever using it as a ride ironically.

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
tillerva said:
Well, I have it set up next to my A's now and it does work a bit better than with the Signatures. I think the cymbal itself may not be for me though. It's a pretty good crash and would make a great heavy crash, which maybe I'll need down the road. I could not see ever using it as a ride ironically.
I use my 20 as a big crash. It is ridable, but more as a wet ride the way alot of Sweet Ride users like. I think it makes a most excellent Crash/Ride, but best when mounted over/next to a more exclusive Ride. That's how I use mine....always with an additional ride a bit Southwest of it. I also have an 18Med (404) that I use as the left side crash, then a 16in Crash far left over my HH - as the brighter, faster crash. It makes for a great setup. You would like it more if paired with other 404s. I suggest keeping an eye out for an 18 Medium like I have it paired with. They make a great couple/pair.
I have seen those 20in 404s go for as little as $60. At that price, in it of itself - it is a gigantic value.

Drumusic

Reaction score
The 404 series was a decent one....it was rated more as an entry to mid level cymbal, but I would say at least mid or better. I know Tommy Wells (RIP) use to work with them, and he was a session pro in Nashville, TN. As far as the ride being used as a crash, I prefer them as a crash....have a couple in my collection that are nice. I've let a friend borrow one that he uses as a crash, too....loves it. I'm sure it's a matter of taste and the sound you are looking for, but as others have said....for the price, you really can't go wrong.....most are sold used from $60 to $100. Weight-wise, I think they range from ~1800g to ~2100g....black label (older, 70s models) were the lesser weights, and the brown label ('81 to '86) were on the heavier side.