43 Beaters Reviewed

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
With my slight dyslexia, I initially thought the thread was "43 Beavers Reviewed."

bbunks

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Happy to see this article. Beaters are my guilty pleasure - I probably have 10 and am always happy to try another one!

RyanR

Underaged Curmudgeon
Reaction score
It is surprising the difference they make. I started swapping out "factory" beaters for my personal preference a couple years ago.

-Ryan

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
44Ronin said:
Bass drum is too dead
I've seen some others say that too, and I hear it too. Can I ask how you listened? If I listen with headphones and the volume up, I hear a lot more of the life and tone that's there in the room, but it does sound flat on computer or phone speakers.

The drum is tuned about 3/4s of a turn past finger tight on the batter, slightly above wrinkle on resonant side, and barely muffled. It's a big note when you're right on top of it. The raw audio sounds good although the overheads may have been a little too close.

If any of you all have other criticisms about the video or the article, please let me know. I've already got three more of these Roundup-style articles going right now, and I want to make sure they're as valuable as possible.

J

jaymandude

Random comment..

It seems that the BD beaters can be like drumsticks, in that it can be difficult to get a lot of bottom end without a fair amount of weight or mass at the top. I've always used a Danmar felt as the middle of the road weight. Those small headed Tama's are fast but no low end. And I tried that fancy Firth ( not the erskine) that was really top heavy to me.

I would really like to try the Lowboy stuff. Has anyone here bought and used them ?

vintagemore2000

DFO Star
Reaction score
I use the danmar red wood long beater and the danmar hard felt long beater with my 24" and 26' and 28" bass drums have the same two beaters in standard length for my 20' and 22" bass drum. love the feel and sound of them both.

Chicago.Drum.Exchange

Reaction score
I wanna know if anyone has used the Danmar Zoro beater? I see Ben Barter has been using it with Lorde but I can't say I know anyone else using it.

J

jaymandude

Chicago.Drum.Exchange said:
I wanna know if anyone has used the Danmar Zoro beater? I see Ben Barter has been using it with Lorde but I can't say I know anyone else using it.
I've sat in on a jam kit with it on a 60's Ludwig. It sounds and feels good. My friend likes it because he doesn't like using patches ( Patches, I'm depending on you son, to pull the family thru)

Chicago.Drum.Exchange

Reaction score
jaymandude said:
I've sat in on a jam kit with it on a 60's Ludwig. It sounds and feels good. My friend likes it because he doesn't like using patches ( Patches, I'm depending on you son, to pull the family thru)
Good to know. Thinking about pick up one myself!

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
jaymandude said:
I would really like to try the Lowboy stuff. Has anyone here bought and used them ?
Yeah I own one of their original models, and I've tried out a few of their others at Revival. The one I have is great for a forceful knocking sound with clear attack. More high end, less low frequencies. The one major PITA is that the angle of the head is not adjustable, so it can be tricky to line the flat face of the beater up with the plane of the batter head. It's easier with 22" and bigger drums, trickier on 20" and below. So you end up striking with the corner of the beater, not the face.

Anyway they look cool and can sound good, but I have decided to stick with beaters that either have angle adjustment, or a rounded striking face that doesn't need to be angled.

J

jaymandude

bongomania said:
Yeah I own one of their original models, and I've tried out a few of their others at Revival. The one I have is great for a forceful knocking sound with clear attack. More high end, less low frequencies. The one major PITA is that the angle of the head is not adjustable, so it can be tricky to line the flat face of the beater up with the plane of the batter head. It's easier with 22" and bigger drums, trickier on 20" and below. So you end up striking with the corner of the beater, not the face.

Anyway they look cool and can sound good, but I have decided to stick with beaters that either have angle adjustment, or a rounded striking face that doesn't need to be angled.
Exactly my concern. Thank you

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
bongomania said:
Yeah I own one of their original models, and I've tried out a few of their others at Revival. The one I have is great for a forceful knocking sound with clear attack. More high end, less low frequencies.
That's interesting. I hear a ton of low end with the standard Low Boy beaters. Obviously there's a lot of punchy attack, but the weight brings major bottom out of my drums. What drum, head, and muffling combo are you using?

I tested these beaters on a three (and in some cases, four) different bass drums, so I feel like I got some decent range, but I'm really curious about how other player's experience differs from mine.

apcpa2000

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Very cool. I like trying out new ones. I have some of the different low boys now. Waiting to put the light leather on a kit.

But, certainly some others in there I would like to try.

Kendrum

Reaction score
jaymandude said:
I use the original plain wood Lowboy. I love it. Very light and a nice punchy sound.

44Ronin

Reaction score
Drum Gear Review said:
Bass drum is too dead
I've seen some others say that too, and I hear it too. Can I ask how you listened? If I listen with headphones and the volume up, I hear a lot more of the life and tone that's there in the room, but it does sound flat on computer or phone speakers.

The drum is tuned about 3/4s of a turn past finger tight on the batter, slightly above wrinkle on resonant side, and barely muffled. It's a big note when you're right on top of it. The raw audio sounds good although the overheads may have been a little too close.

If any of you all have other criticisms about the video or the article, please let me know. I've already got three more of these Roundup-style articles going right now, and I want to make sure they're as valuable as possible.

The drum is tuned about 3/4s of a turn past finger tight on the batter, slightly above wrinkle on resonant side,
There's your answer, the bass drum is tuned to be dead

The beater sound takes a life of its own when a bass drum is actually tuned to have even, a little, bit sustain.

There's none here. So the shootout gives an idea of attack but nothing in the sense of sustain.

A fluffy beater opens up beautifully on a bass drum with sustain

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Drum Gear Review said:
I own one of their original models, and I've tried out a few of their others at Revival. The one I have is great for a forceful knocking sound with clear attack. More high end, less low frequencies.
That's interesting. I hear a ton of low end with the standard Low Boy beaters. Obviously there's a lot of punchy attack, but the weight brings major bottom out of my drums. What drum, head, and muffling combo are you using?
My main is a 14x20 Gretsch round badge; Aquarian heads: clear Response 2 batter, Regulator reso w/port; just a touch of the Pratt muffler, nothing else inside. Tuned low but not dead. I like a punchy short boom.

I just picked up one of those McHugh beaters today, and it is worlds different from the Lowboy. It has similar weight, but with the Lowboy I hear more upper frequencies and sharp attack, while with the new one I hear more low-mid emphasis and rounder attack. One way this shows up is in sympathetic snare buzz: the Lowboy only rattles the wires if I really stomp hard, while the McHugh rattles the wires with even lighter strokes.

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
44Ronin said:
Bass drum is too dead

The drum is tuned about 3/4s of a turn past finger tight on the batter, slightly above wrinkle on resonant side,
There's your answer, the bass drum is tuned to be dead

The beater sound takes a life of its own when a bass drum is actually tuned to have even, a little, bit sustain.

There's none here. So the shootout gives an idea of attack but nothing in the sense of sustain.

A fluffy beater opens up beautifully on a bass drum with sustain

I probably did tune it too low, yeah. The drum certainly has some sustain to it, but you're right in that there's not enough there. I was trying to replicate what I think is the bass drum tuning I encounter most often playing out, because I figured that would make sense to the most listeners. Rather than trying to find some kind of common denominator tuning, I should have just tuned the drum the way I normally do and let it sing a bit.

Plus, I think I mixed too much of the 57 in. I think a lot of the flatness is coming from that mic as I was trying to capture, as you said, the differences in attack.

I appreciate the feedback. Now I know for next time I have to compare a big batch of similar products.

bongomania said:
I own one of their original models, and I've tried out a few of their others at Revival. The one I have is great for a forceful knocking sound with clear attack. More high end, less low frequencies.
My main is a 14x20 Gretsch round badge; Aquarian heads: clear Response 2 batter, Regulator reso w/port; just a touch of the Pratt muffler, nothing else inside. Tuned low but not dead. I like a punchy short boom.

I just picked up one of those McHugh beaters today, and it is worlds different from the Lowboy. It has similar weight, but with the Lowboy I hear more upper frequencies and sharp attack, while with the new one I hear more low-mid emphasis and rounder attack. One way this shows up is in sympathetic snare buzz: the Lowboy only rattles the wires if I really stomp hard, while the McHugh rattles the wires with even lighter strokes.

Agreed. I definitely hear more mid-range with McHugh, but I love that sound. It's a perfect match for my 20" Sakae. That one, the Cherry Hill felt, and Ahead's version of the cube felt beater are the ones I've been going back to the most.

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I picked up a Cherry Hill felt with a brass weight due to this review. Looking forward to checking it out.