44 year old itch finally scratched.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
In 1977 it dawned on my 16 year old brain that it would be cool to add a second floor tom to my Ludwig Chrome-O-Wood Hollywood set. Today it finally happened thanks to a fellow DFOer.

In 1975 I bought a set of Chrome Ludwigs (made in 1973) which were my only drums for the next 12 years and my main gigging set for nearly 30 years. After owning them for about a year or so I got the notion that I needed a second floor tom (although I ended up with a Hollywood set it was the Pro Beat set that captured my attention in the Ludwig catalogs of the time). Unfortunately I was never in a financial position to make it happen. My grocery store wages were barely enough to keep my car on the road. Then I tried to make my living as a musician and again managed to eek by but never had any excess wealth to spend on drums (barely enough to buy new heads when needed). In these pre-internet days the chances of finding a used one in the right finish and size were even less likely. I did add on a matching 10x14 tom around 1982 that I found in a Chicago area Tradin' Times paper for $125.

I came close to snagging the coveted additional floor tom on a couple of occasions. First was a Chrome Slingerland 18" in a local music store around 1981. Slingerland, but the right "color" and I figured "close enough". Unfortunately it was part of a set. While it was the largest tom (18") and could be pulled from the set without necessarily being missed and at even more profit I couldn't convince the little old lady running the store that day (the store owner's mom) of this and by the time I made it back to the store to talk to the son the set had been sold. The second time was probably about 15 years ago. The Drum Pad in Palatine, IL had several used chrome Ludwigs sitting out in front of the store and I was excited to see them when I pulled up. There was an 18" too, and at a really cheap price but a closer inspection revealed them to be Chrome over white Vista and this was a bridge too far even for me. Sure I'd have been happy to mix Ludwig and Slingerland, or 6 ply with 3 (which is what I have done here) but not vista with wood.

I haven't actually used the chrome set in probably 20 years at this point (partially because I now prefer a 1up 2 down set up and there was no second down) and in all honesty hadn't been actively searching for a matching floor tom in any real way for a long time. But when this one popped up in the for sale section of this forum I knew I should probably grab it so I could bring this old friend out of storage and occasionally put it back on stage where it belongs. A deal was struck and the drum showed up today. I generally prefer a 14/16 combo but this 18" beast will do the job. Time to give my old chromies an overhaul and some new heads and get them out earning their keep again while I still can.

20210527_194053.jpg

Faster' n film 1980.jpg

DSCN26642450DSCN2664.JPG

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Cool memory and aspiration, well-told, K.O.!

But c'mon - you know you also need a 20" COW FT.

Renoroger

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beeyoutie!! (I’m originally from Lemont, did a lot of damage with the “Tradin’ Times!)

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
A very nice set, K.O., congrats. Once you get it all running I bet that tom will really ROAR!

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Cool memory and aspiration, well-told, K.O.!

But c'mon - you know you also need a 20" COW FT.
Not sure on one of those behemoths...but if a matching 14x14 came along at a reasonable price....

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That didn't take long!
Nice looking drum set, glad to hear you got the missing piece.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
still trying to figure how/why Ludwig changed "Pro Beat" from a six piece to a four-piece; add to the list of unforgivables
i mean I had it down pat for 50 years and they go and change it..

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
still trying to figure how/why Ludwig changed "Pro Beat" from a six piece to a four-piece; add to the list of unforgivables
i mean I had it down pat for 50 years and they go and change it..
Well in the 1980 catalog the "Jazzette" outfit is 12/14/20....talk about unforgiveable.

Always lusted after the Pro Beat (in the 1970s 13/14/16/18/24 configuration). Never have owned one.

Reactions: JDA

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's like over six 7-year itches, for the record.

:p

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
And no cortisone needed! Now you're whole again, congrats!!

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I've posted about some of the history of this set on numerous occasions. It was in the store front window of Don Lee Music in downtown Sterling, Illinois for about a year and a half prior to being sold. Every time we went to that town I'd stand outside staring at it and imagining that someday I might be able to get a similar set (as this set was clearly not attainable for my then 13 year old self). Then one day in mid 1975 it was gone, not in the window nor in the store. My dream set had been sold. By now I was a Freshman in High School. A couple of months later I spied an interesting classified under the Musical Instruments heading of the Sterling Gazette. Ludwig Drum set, like new, phone.... I had my mom call and she found out that the set was being sold by Household Finance via sealed bids and could be seen at Don Lee Music. She drove me the 20 miles to Sterling the next day after school and we asked to see the set. "It's in the back". We were taken to the back room and there it was, the same chrome set. The buyer had financed the purchase then failed to make any payments. The set was still like new with the hardware still in the original boxes and now included a set of K Zildjian cymbals (14HH 18C 22 R). Long story short (too late) I scraped together every penny I could beg, borrow, or steal, bid $600 and got the set. For the next 15 or so years my whole life revolved around these drums. Even after I ordered up a new Gretsch set in 1987 the chrome set remained my primary gigging set.

Private Heaven 8-79 rock falls.jpg

K.O.3-89.jpg

So these are definitely special to me and do deserve to be brought out of storage and refurbished and played on stages again and maybe this new acquisition can be the catalyst for that.

These chrome drums do require some special care. The chromed steel wrap dents easily, will rust, and adds weight to the shells but they look cool on stage and I always thought mine sounded fine. It seems these days most posts about chrome Ludwigs or Slingerlands will be in reference to someone wanting to strip them down. I suppose some are too far gone to rescue but many that I see being stripped appear to be just fine. Just out of fashion I suppose but I cringe a bit anytime I see someone planning on doing that if the drums look decent.

Anyway, glad to get this add on. Thanks to DFO member Leffler for selling me the drum at a very fair price. It has found it's way to a safe haven and a good home as long as I'm taking care of it. New case for it already on the way.

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank
In 1977 it dawned on my 16 year old brain that it would be cool to add a second floor tom to my Ludwig Chrome-O-Wood Hollywood set. Today it finally happened thanks to a fellow DFOer.

In 1975 I bought a set of Chrome Ludwigs (made in 1973) which were my only drums for the next 12 years and my main gigging set for nearly 30 years. After owning them for about a year or so I got the notion that I needed a second floor tom (although I ended up with a Hollywood set it was the Pro Beat set that captured my attention in the Ludwig catalogs of the time). Unfortunately I was never in a financial position to make it happen. My grocery store wages were barely enough to keep my car on the road. Then I tried to make my living as a musician and again managed to eek by but never had any excess wealth to spend on drums (barely enough to buy new heads when needed). In these pre-internet days the chances of finding a used one in the right finish and size were even less likely. I did add on a matching 10x14 tom around 1982 that I found in a Chicago area Tradin' Times paper for $125.

I came close to snagging the coveted additional floor tom on a couple of occasions. First was a Chrome Slingerland 18" in a local music store around 1981. Slingerland, but the right "color" and I figured "close enough". Unfortunately it was part of a set. While it was the largest tom (18") and could be pulled from the set without necessarily being missed and at even more profit I couldn't convince the little old lady running the store that day (the store owner's mom) of this and by the time I made it back to the store to talk to the son the set had been sold. The second time was probably about 15 years ago. The Drum Pad in Palatine, IL had several used chrome Ludwigs sitting out in front of the store and I was excited to see them when I pulled up. There was an 18" too, and at a really cheap price but a closer inspection revealed them to be Chrome over white Vista and this was a bridge too far even for me. Sure I'd have been happy to mix Ludwig and Slingerland, or 6 ply with 3 (which is what I have done here) but not vista with wood.

I haven't actually used the chrome set in probably 20 years at this point (partially because I now prefer a 1up 2 down set up and there was no second down) and in all honesty hadn't been actively searching for a matching floor tom in any real way for a long time. But when this one popped up in the for sale section of this forum I knew I should probably grab it so I could bring this old friend out of storage and occasionally put it back on stage where it belongs. A deal was struck and the drum showed up today. I generally prefer a 14/16 combo but this 18" beast will do the job. Time to give my old chromies an overhaul and some new heads and get them out earning their keep again while I still can.

View attachment 501867

View attachment 501870
View attachment 501872
Beautiful and thanks for the rug under the bass. I hate to see drums just sitting directly on asphalt or grass. I dont know why but it just bothers me.