47 year wait is over.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Approximately 47 years ago Ludwig came out with the vistalite drums and me being 12 years old was in love with the blue ones on display at our local music store where I took lessons. They were 999.00 back then and my dad would not pay that kind of money, he said to save your money. So, over the past few years I sold some gear and had a little envelope with 1,200.00 in it. Recently I posted a wanted thread looking for a kit. I did have a member contact me, we agreed on a price, talked on the phone and made a deal. Well he has magically disappeared. I hope he is okay.
So I gave up for a few days and one day on Facebook I saw a picture of one of my friends playing the blue vista's. So I commented about my deal falling through. About five minutes later I get a private message from another well known person telling me he has one for a good price. Called him up and I agreed to his price. So a day later I drive two hours to Rockford Illinois and bought this kit.
The other kit had some issues like a Crack, some spider webbing, a badge was not right. The kit I bought is almost mint, none of the above. So, il never know why the first guy stopped communicating but thank goodness he did, I ended up with a beauty and for 200.00 less.
Just though some of you might like the story.
20210729_114133.jpg
20210729_114023.jpg
20210729_113936.jpg
20210729_113911.jpg
20210727_191510.jpg
20210729_114133.jpg

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The batter heads look to be original. They are in pretty good shape but I'm wondering if I can get a better sound with the silver dot heads. I'm used to 3 ply shells with coated heads so this is all new to me.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Congrats Jeff! Sometimes things take a left turn for a very good reason.
Thanks Dave! The drum gods were looking out for me! I am so happy, cant wait for my gout to go away so I can play them some more!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
? someone will know of an oddity (it's dfo
Thanks, looks like they all had ten lugs. I was not expecting that.

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent!
Incredibly happy for you.
Love the look of it.

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
That's a great story. Congrats on the new kit. I had a local store that had a set of blue ones in the window that I drooled over, but never did pick up a set.

flatwins

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great story and congratulations! Back in the 80s I managed to trade a pawnshop out of a 13/16/22/matching snare blue Vista kit. I had a total of $100 in the thing. I ended up selling it during college but probably too cheap.

Last edited:

yetanotherdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice.

That is exactly what my first Ludwig set was, I got them in 1973 and kept them until 1996. I did a ton of gigs with them.

My favorite heads for them were clear emperors top and bottom on the toms, a black dot on the bass batter head and also on the snare drum. But head choice will of course depend on what sound you are chasing.

Last edited:

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The batter heads look to be original. They are in pretty good shape but I'm wondering if I can get a better sound with the silver dot heads. I'm used to 3 ply shells with coated heads so this is all new to me.
I put black dots on mine after trying a bunch of other heads. I like that combo the best. Silver dots are the same head I think just different color.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Approximately 47 years ago Ludwig came out with the vistalite drums and me being 12 years old was in love with the blue ones on display at our local music store where I took lessons. They were 999.00 back then and my dad would not pay that kind of money, he said to save your money. So, over the past few years I sold some gear and had a little envelope with 1,200.00 in it. Recently I posted a wanted thread looking for a kit. I did have a member contact me, we agreed on a price, talked on the phone and made a deal. Well he has magically disappeared. I hope he is okay.
So I gave up for a few days and one day on Facebook I saw a picture of one of my friends playing the blue vista's. So I commented about my deal falling through. About five minutes later I get a private message from another well known person telling me he has one for a good price. Called him up and I agreed to his price. So a day later I drive two hours to Rockford Illinois and bought this kit.
The other kit had some issues like a Crack, some spider webbing, a badge was not right. The kit I bought is almost mint, none of the above. So, il never know why the first guy stopped communicating but thank goodness he did, I ended up with a beauty and for 200.00 less.
Just though some of you might like the story. View attachment 510597 View attachment 510598 View attachment 510599 View attachment 510600 View attachment 510601 View attachment 510597
Rockford? Where ya from I’m about a hr out of Rockford

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
"I love it when a plan comes together" -Lt. Col. John "Hannibal" Smith.

I was in High School when Ludwig introduced those and I thought they were cool and other-worldly. I have often thought of looking a 3x13 piccolo (special order?) or 6.5x14 Super Sensitive in yellow for shock value.
Congratulations!!