47 year wait is over.

IBitePrettyHard

Reaction score
Congrats on your find, they are amazing kits. I did a restoration on my Vistalites a few years ago.

Silver Dots cost more, and I don't think they're any better than Black Dots, honestly. So I wouldn't get them unless for aesthetic reasons, because of the extra cost.

I went with Pinstripes and they sound great!

Last edited:

WLVN

Reaction score
I drooled over the Vistalites in the '73 Ludwig catalog when they first came out. We moved from Houston to Cincinnati and a kid had the exact kit in blue at my new high school. He used them in jazz band. I was both jealous of his drums and his talent as he was also in the orchestra and the lead snare drum in marching band as well. He succumbed to his second bout with cancer a couple years ago. We moved back to Houston after high school and I never got a chance to re-connect with him on facebook, but I'll always remember him for his blue Vistalites.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Congrats on your find, they are amazing kits. I did a restoration on my Vistalites a few years ago.

Silver Dots cost more, and I don't think they're any better than Black Dots, honestly. So I wouldn't get them unless for aesthetic reasons, because of the extra cost.

Very cool kit! That green floor tom is a rare one

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the comments, some great stories here!

flatwins

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you go on a quest for original silver dots you’ll have a difficult time. Even the reproduction silver dots by Remo are scarce since they’re apparently made in batches and supply runs low. Additionally, Remo’s “clear” film looks more like skim milk.

You probably won’t find any NOS Rocker heads but there are still some Striders heads out there (same heads, different logo). About the only size you’ll find in NOS Ludwig silver dots are 12s, 15s, 18s, and bass heads. 13s, 14s, 16s are long gone.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you go on a quest for original silver dots you’ll have a difficult time. Even the reproduction silver dots by Remo are scarce since they’re apparently made in batches and supply runs low. Additionally, Remo’s “clear” film looks more like skim milk.

You probably won’t find any NOS Rocker heads but there are still some Striders heads out there (same heads, different logo). About the only size you’ll find in NOS Ludwig silver dots are 12s, 15s, 18s, and bass heads. 13s, 14s, 16s are long gone.
Thanks for that info, I started to look but fell asleep. The heads on the kit will do for now.

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Very cool indeed, though in my opinion you need a yellow or red rack tom to go full on jellybean.