47 year wait is over.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The batter heads look to be original. They are in pretty good shape but I'm wondering if I can get a better sound with the silver dot heads. I'm used to 3 ply shells with coated heads so this is all new to me.
Congrats! Beautiful! So, how DO they sound?

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Congrats! Beautiful! So, how DO they sound?
Not great, yet. I played around a bit with a drum key and improved them considerably but most of my drums are 3ply with ambassador coated heads so this is new to me. They were tuned very high when I got them, I was like wow! who does that!
So, anyway I need to take the toms off and tune the bottom heads. If I am still unhappy after that then I may consider getting new heads.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not great, yet. I played around a bit with a drum key and improved them considerably but most of my drums are 3ply with ambassador coated heads so this is new to me. They were tuned very high when I got them, I was like wow! who does that!
So, anyway I need to take the toms off and tune the bottom heads. If I am still unhappy after that then I may consider getting new heads.
When you have the heads off, I would highly recommend checking the edges for trueness. JMO!

amosguy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
What took you so long to post these on FB page? Good things come to those that wait. (Not buying that adage - should be a time limit some how there.)

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What took you so long to post these on FB page? Good things come to those that wait. (Not buying that adage - should be a time limit some how there.)
Oh sorry, not a big facebooker, but I should have emailed you a few pictures.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you go on a quest for original silver dots you’ll have a difficult time. Even the reproduction silver dots by Remo are scarce since they’re apparently made in batches and supply runs low. Additionally, Remo’s “clear” film looks more like skim milk.

You probably won’t find any NOS Rocker heads but there are still some Striders heads out there (same heads, different logo). About the only size you’ll find in NOS Ludwig silver dots are 12s, 15s, 18s, and bass heads. 13s, 14s, 16s are long gone.
So I did find new versions but you say they are not actually clear?

flatwins

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So I did find new versions but you say they are not actually clear?
Yes. Remo makes reproductions of the silver dots but their film is not nearly as clear as the original Ludwig heads. On wood drums this doesn’t really matter but on acrylic drums I prefer really clear heads. In the attached photo the 16” on the right has a Remo silver dot while the 18” on the left has an original Ludwig silver dot from the 80s. You can see how “unclear” the Remo heads are. But at this point very few of the NOS Ludwig heads exist.

Attachments

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes. Remo makes reproductions of the silver dots but their film is not nearly as clear as the original Ludwig heads. On wood drums this doesn’t really matter but on acrylic drums I prefer really clear heads. In the attached photo the 16” on the right has a Remo silver dot while the 18” on the left has an original Ludwig silver dot from the 80s. You can see how “unclear” the Remo heads are. But at this point very few of the NOS Ludwig heads exist.
Thank you for the picture, it made up my mind. Funny, I contacted Sweetwater and asked about this, the guy assured me they were clear!

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Congratulations Jeff!
Great that you found those and nice how it worked out.
I'm sort of on the hunt for a Vista set myself. I didn't care much for them when they were new but in retrospect it would be neat to have a set.
In fact I gave the person you bought those from some good natured "crap" that he hadn't told me about that set as he knew I was in the market. Just as well though, and he gave me a lead on another Vista set that I might get if no one else beats me to it before I can raise the money. Waiting on a bonus check from work that would make it possible but no idea when it's coming. Might be in a couple weeks, might be in a couple months.

Anyway super cool that you got them. I'll have to swing by and see them in person sometime. I don't think I've ever actually played any Vistas beyond the three snare drums I have.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Congratulations Jeff!
Great that you found those and nice how it worked out.
I'm sort of on the hunt for a Vista set myself. I didn't care much for them when they were new but in retrospect it would be neat to have a set.
In fact I gave the person you bought those from some good natured "crap" that he hadn't told me about that set as he knew I was in the market. Just as well though, and he gave me a lead on another Vista set that I might get if no one else beats me to it before I can raise the money. Waiting on a bonus check from work that would make it possible but no idea when it's coming. Might be in a couple weeks, might be in a couple months.

Anyway super cool that you got them. I'll have to swing by and see them in person sometime. I don't think I've ever actually played any Vistas beyond the three snare drums I have.
Ooh, sorry about that. But you will find one, they are out there. I'm getting used to 2 up one down again and liking the sound. I'm going to experiment with heads, I found some black dots on clear that I might try.
And yes please do stop by and check out the kit.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Ooh, sorry about that. But you will find one, they are out there. I'm getting used to 2 up one down again and liking the sound. I'm going to experiment with heads, I found some black dots on clear that I might try.
And yes please do stop by and check out the kit.
Northwest music has a bunch of N.O.S. silver dots. Unfortunately he didn't seem to have any 12" size. I was going to buy a whole set for my old Chrome-o-Wood set but he came up short on that size. Probably should have bought them anyway, they were 70's era heads.

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Northwest music has a bunch of N.O.S. silver dots. Unfortunately he didn't seem to have any 12" size. I was going to buy a whole set for my old Chrome-o-Wood set but he came up short on that size. Probably should have bought them anyway, they were 70's era heads.
Kevin, I found enough black dot heads to do the job. They are used but they will work.
Ys, you should have bought those heads!

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi Jeff!

A great story and a beautiful set of Vistalite drums! Some years back, I missed out on purchasing the same set from West Coast Drum in southern California. It sat for years up on a shelf and no one ever purchased them. When I finally made the decision that I wanted them, I headed out to the store...only to be told they were recently sold for around $800!! They were NOS! I kicked myself all the way home!

-Mark

jccabinets

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi Jeff!

A great story and a beautiful set of Vistalite drums! Some years back, I missed out on purchasing the same set from West Coast Drum in southern California. It sat for years up on a shelf and no one ever purchased them. When I finally made the decision that I wanted them, I headed out to the store...only to be told they were recently sold for around $800!! They were NOS! I kicked myself all the way home!

-Mark
Mark, great to hear from you! We all have those stories about the kit we missed out on. Too bad you didn't get them, I absolutely love mine. I have been playing one up two down for years, kinda fun trying something new. I just want to start a rock band now!!!