48-52 WFL Badge - Ray McKinley - post nickel cleanup PICS

swayed1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just picked this up for a really great price. Really Excited to own this snare - have always wanted one.

Attachments

Last edited:

patrickwitherow

Reaction score
Great drum! I just got one a few weeks ago and it's growing to become one of my favorites to play. I played it live outdoors a few weeks ago and recorded it with my phone. I was very impressed with its sound coming out of the PA system and the close mic'd YouTube feed we do as well. It's from 1949 and built very well. The nickel over brass hardware is really cool.

Last edited:

swayed1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Beautiful drum. I going to guess that your drum is a very early classic lug model. Possibly sometime in the later part of 1946 or early 1947. Some WFL drums from around this period got the white paint. The set in my profile pic is a 1941 capitol outfit and the toms are painted white inside. That double padded muffler, the badge grommet as well as the pattern of white pearl is a holdover from the zephyr lug era. Zephyr lugs were used up until WW II when the metals restrictions were enforced. After the restrictions were lifted, WFL went back to using the zephyr and imperial lugs (the WFL version). Thinking that a lot of the pre-war designs were looking old, WFL senior invented the classic lug which must have been sometime in 1946. I wish I knew when the first ones rolled out exactly.

It always amazes me that those lugs have been used for so many years. IMO it is a timeless design that will look good forever.

swayed1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Beautiful drum. I going to guess that your drum is a very early classic lug model. Possibly sometime in the later part of 1946 or early 1947. Some WFL drums from around this period got the white paint. The set in my profile pic is a 1941 capitol outfit and the toms are painted white inside. That double padded muffler, the badge grommet as well as the pattern of white pearl is a holdover from the zephyr lug era. Zephyr lugs were used up until WW II when the metals restrictions were enforced. After the restrictions were lifted, WFL went back to using the zephyr and imperial lugs (the WFL version). Thinking that a lot of the pre-war designs were looking old, WFL senior invented the classic lug which must have been sometime in 1946. I wish I knew when the first ones rolled out exactly.

It always amazes me that those lugs have been used for so many years. IMO it is a timeless design that will look good forever.
Thanks for the information - Very informative. I was really wondering about that muffler. It’s Hard to believe this drum is 75 years old.

swayed1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

patrickwitherow

Reaction score
Oh yeah - there was just tons of it. So much oxidation. Yours looks fantastic! Did you use a buffing wheel?
No buffing wheel - just lots of hand buffing with a very soft cloth. I applied simichrome on the lugs using a q-tip and rubbed it around the lug using pressure - then let it sit for a minute or so then buffed. For the rims - I used a LOT of simichrome on a cotton ball and did the same thing. I went through several cotton balls because of the amount of residue that came off. I then let those sit and buffed really well. I'm still pretty certain there was more residue that could be removed, but I didn't want to use all the simichrome one 1 drum right now...