header.nohb.html

4th of July Spirit of America kit

idrum4fun

DFO Master
Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]I’m very proud of how this kit turned out and wanted to share it with everyone at DF. While I am a member here, I tend to do most of my posting at VDF and notice many DF members at VDF as well. The following text is taken from my VDF posting…[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]To celebrate our nation’s independence, and honor all the men and women that serve our country, I wrapped my 1994 Slingerland HSS kit in a US Flag design from Bum Wrap Drum Company. Came out great! [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]All the original HSS hardware is in great condition and everything was polished…even those funky “Mickey Mouse Ear” wingnuts! Rather than use the original Sticksaver hoops, I had a nice set of Pearl FAT TONE hoops for the toms and snare drum. They look great on the drums![/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Happy 4th of July to all![/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]-Mark[/SIZE]

Attachments

• SOA-1.JPG
    SOA-1.JPG
    261.4 KB · Views: 14
  • SOA-2.JPG
    SOA-2.JPG
    290 KB · Views: 12
  • SOA-3.JPG
    SOA-3.JPG
    249.4 KB · Views: 13
  • SOA-4.JPG
    SOA-4.JPG
    260.8 KB · Views: 13
  • SOA-5.JPG
    SOA-5.JPG
    191.6 KB · Views: 12
  • SOA-6.JPG
    SOA-6.JPG
    169.4 KB · Views: 12

LauraCai

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Where did you get the bass drum head from, if I may ask?

idrum4fun

DFO Master
Reaction score
drummerbill said:
Very nice ! :icon_smile:

Curious why you ditched the stick saver hoops ?
The Stick Saver hoops were "ditched" only because they didn't look as nice as the rest of the drums. The HSS hoops also don't have the same profile as traditional "vintage" Stick Savers. The Pearl Fat Tone hoops are somewhat expensive and were just sitting unused. I wanted to put them to good use!

Mark

idrum4fun

DFO Master
Reaction score
LauraCai said:
Where did you get the bass drum head from, if I may ask?
I purchased the bass drum head, with flag logo, from Vintagelogos.com. A bit pricey, but well worth it!

Mark

W&A Player

DFO Star
Reaction score
drummerbill said:

I have the same appreciation for the looks of the wrap, and the same wonderment about replacing the hoops that I consider to be the best ever design for hoops.

idrum4fun

DFO Master
Reaction score
W&A Player said:

I have the same appreciation for the looks of the wrap, and the same wonderment about replacing the hoops that I consider to be the best ever design for hoops.
Seems that I need to defend the use of the Pearl Fat Tone hoops on my kit! Don't get me wrong, I love Stick Saver hoops, although I prefer the original name of "rim shot" counter hoops! I've had more Slingerland kits than any other make. Currently, I have a 1967 4pc, a 1968 first year Buddy Rich 80N and a 1971 Modern Solo 2R, in original Sparkling Purple Pearl! Pictures attached. The first two kits have gorgeous COB "rim-shot" hoops. The Solo 2R has COS hoops, but maintain the same profile as the earlier COB hoops. Around 1975, maybe earlier, Slinerland began altering the profile of the hoop, in both height, ear design and how the upper flange rolled to the inside. My hoops on the 1994 HSS kit have basically "modern" Stick Savers, with not much of an inner flange and very flat "ears" where the tension rods pass through. Basically, a more modern design. In all honesty, viewing both these HSS hoops and the Fat Tone hoops straight on, they almost appear identical. Had I not mentioned the use of these hoops, I don't feel many would ever notice the difference.

Mark

Attachments

• Slingerland_1967.JPG
    Slingerland_1967.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Slingerland_BR_1968.JPG
    Slingerland_BR_1968.JPG
    174.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Slingerland_ModernSolo2R_1971.JPG
    Slingerland_ModernSolo2R_1971.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 12

W&A Player

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the HSS Slingerland drums because they began making them at least twenty years after the time window for drums I prefer ends. If the hoops are, indeed, significanty inferior to the Stick Savers (Rim Shot) hoops of previous decades, I don't have an issue with changing to another type. I really don't have a problem with whatever you want to do with your drums. I just wondered why you would decide against Stick Savers for a Slingerland set. Thank you for 'splainin' it for us.

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks great...happy Independence Day!

yetanotherdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow! That is a great looking set. I have never been much of a fan of the red, white and blue striped kits, but this one is something else entirely!

My question is, how are those Slingerland drums sound wise? I have a 1970's set that I love the sound of, how would these compare?

drummerbill

DFO Master
Reaction score
P.S. I wish I had your kit for tonight 4th of July gig !!

Mark, no need to "defend" your hoop choice, I was just curious, as I like the sticksavers. :wink:

cruddyeye

Associate in Charge of Something
Reaction score
Yours look fantastic! I love the bass head and the total 3D effect. I wouldn't worry about being too vintage-ally correct for that era Slingys. When I was in high school around 71 or 72, I was inspired by Buddy's kit, so I unwrapped my ludwigs and began painting them with stars and stripes. Never finished them and my parents auctioned them off when I was in college. I wonder if I'll ever see one on ebay someday.