5” Supra. Why can’t I get into it?

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve tried many times to like the shorter Supra but it does nothing for me. Then I throw a 6.5” Supra on the stand and I’m channeling Bonham all day.

I should like the LM400 just as much if not more. Ian Paice and countless iconic and lesser known drummers made it sound great throughout the decades.

What it is about the LM400 that I can’t get to work for me?

Last edited:

squidart

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Maybe you just plain don't like it in person as opposed to recordings. That's just fine. I happen to like mine but only for certain situations. No biggie.

Skins_in_the_game

Reaction score
Sounds like the start of a support group. I agree, I sold a 64 lm400 because it was just too bright all the time regardless of the multiple heads I tried, but I love the sound of the 6.5 supersensitive I have which goes from cracking to fat with only half the ringing.

tbird8450

Reaction score
I don't have a lot of first hand experience with 5" snares, but if you're used to the more all-purpose sound of the 6.5, you probably appreciate the additional volume, depth, and lower-frequency characteristics that it provides. A 5" is more specialized - sounds like it's just not your thing. There's nothing wrong with that.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have a lot of first hand experience with 5" snares, but if you're used to the more all-purpose sound of the 6.5, you probably appreciate the additional volume, depth, and lower-frequency characteristics that it provides. A 5" is more specialized - sounds like it's just not your thing. There's nothing wrong with that.
I’d agree except I have other 5 and 5 1/2” snares that I like a lot. The Supra isn’t one of them.

tbird8450

Reaction score
Could just be that it's a particularly active shell, which means the already bright frequencies are emphasized even more. A lot of that brightness is likely clipped / EQ'd out on professional recordings. It's a different world when you're in the driver's seat.

Vicey

Reaction score
Back when I owned one, I ended up using a much heavier head than I normally used and cranking it up. Now that I'm an older, snobbier Ambassador or Fiberskin-only guy, I'm not sure what I'd do with it. Do you happen to own an Acro and, if so, do you like it better?

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could just be that it's a particularly active shell, which means the already bright frequencies are emphasized even more. A lot of that brightness is likely clipped / EQ'd out on professional recordings. It's a different world when you're in the driver's seat.
Maybe it’s the Supra I have, but to me it sounds dull and generic. If it was bright and cracking like I heard on so many recordings, I’d probably like it.

1967 should supposedly have all the mojo but it doesn’t.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back when I owned one, I ended up using a much heavier head than I normally used and cranking it up. Now that I'm an older, snobbier Ambassador or Fiberskin-only guy, I'm not sure what I'd do with it. Do you happen to own an Acro and, if so, do you like it better?
Yes, my light grey acro eats it for lunch. The character and presence the Supra should have shows up in the Acro, and it’s a fiver.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
1967 should supposedly have all the mojo but it doesn’t.
If you were close by I'd trade you even.
With a mint 2018 Pearl Sessions Studio Select 5.5" 10L black halo lacquer
birch/mahogany!

Last edited:

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
I love my 60s Keystone one with COB hoops. I once sound-checked various snares for a recording; when I set up the Supra, I couldn't stop playing it. It was so articulate, I felt as if I could speak through it. On its own, it might be a bit on the high sounding side, so it might be a bit harsh in a brighter room or played loudly, but it has a presence in the mix; with many other snares you would have to dial that in, adding high-end eq.

I got to like it seeing others play it, a local drummer who recommended it to me, then I saw pics of Joe Morello (later learned he used a COB shell). I also saw Steve Gadd on tv, and a young Cliff Almond with Michel Camilo, both using one, a vintage snare with a modern drumset and new cymbals, so it had to be something special. It had a certain legendary status, so when I found one used for a good price, I just tapped it a few times and bought it.
I later got more into wood snares for jazz, but always kept the Supra for when I wnated that presence.

I've shared this soundcheck already for the tom sounds; this is that Supra, med.-low batter, high-ish reso.
https://soundcloud.com/seb234%2Froom-354drum-jam-eq1