5” Supra. Why can’t I get into it?

Masecar

Reaction score
Each Supra is a little different. I've heard tons that didn't speak to me, and somehow ended up with one of the fattest sounding LM400s I've ever heard, just straight out of the box.

Mine being a new drum, I tried it without the gaskets, and didn't like the extra brightness, so I put them back on. Stock bottom head and wires (with cord!), coated Ambassador on top, with a piece of folded gaff tape on the batter head. Sounds just like those records.

I find that if a drum feels thin on the backbeat, lowering the pitch of the snare-side head can help, especially on Ludwigs. And that Weathermaster on the bottom is just some kind of magic on Supras.

Last edited:

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
The 5” is a classic though. On so many recordings. I end up using my 5” Tama Trackmaster more often on gigs though. Partly because I don’t always want to bring my 60s snare out to get stolen or whatever.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never got into anything 5". I've got a Blacrolite that's literally brand new because I never connected with the sound. Too shallow!
I went 6.5" Supra and then settled on my 8x14's.
The 8's do everything well, whether you tune high or low. I won't go back to any smaller sizes.

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Each Supra is a little different. I've heard tons that didn't speak to me, and somehow ended up with one of the fattest sounding LM400s I've ever heard, just straight out of the box.

Mine being a new drum, I tried it without the gaskets, and didn't like the extra brightness, so I put them back on. Stock bottom head and wires, coated Ambassador on top, with a piece of folded gaff tape on the batter head. Sounda just like those records.

I find that if a drum feels thin on the backbeat, lowering the pitch of the snare-side head can help, especially on Ludwigs. And that Weathermaster on the bottom is just some kind of magic on Supras.
I'd have to agree!
The "crank the snare side" theory is false on Ludwig's (in my experience). They sound best when they have a little bit of flex. And Weathermasters sound & feel like they were tailor made for those snares. To me nothing else works as well!

Last edited:

Tama CW

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My "beater" early '65 Supra with brass hoops and some chrome flaking is the best metal snare I've personally played. It happened to come to me in a trade with a coated Emp on the batter.
And I've stuck with that head. Probably helps to control the high frequencies somewhat. And also much less snare buzz. Using the stock '60's Supra script wires.

Now, I had a mint '67 Supra with orig wires and orig/older "standard issue" Ludwig heads on it. At times I liked the sound. Other times it did get a bit too "bright" or tougher to control the snare buzz.
I did try some heavier heads on that '67 like Coated Amb X but I liked it less.

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I didn't LOVE my B/O late 70's early 80's LM400 UNTIL....

I put a clear pinstripe head on it with a snare weight (although any muffling would've worked). I now find it to be the ultimate backbeat machine with my cover band.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve tried many times to like the shorter Supra but it does nothing for me. Then I throw a 6.5” Supra on the stand and I’m channeling Bonham all day.

I should like the LM400 just as much if not more. Ian Paice and countless iconic and lesser known drummers made it sound great throughout the decades.

What it is about the LM400 that I can’t get to work for me?
Yeah, they suck. Send it to me.

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love both the 400 and 402s that I own. My preferred sound for most things dictates that the 402 gets more playing time. But … I actually find the 400 more versatile, performs just as well at mid and low tunings but can achieve a crisp, tight sound that the 402 can’t quite reach.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just put a die-cast hoop just on the top of my 400, and it's a whole new drum. Absolute smack-in-your-face backbeats.

Now, I've got to be honest -- I was a big fan of the drum with triple-flanged top and bottom, but my Sonor d505 is doing "that" sound better than the Supra.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Reaction score
I just put a die-cast hoop just on the top of my 400, and it's a whole new drum. Absolute smack-in-your-face backbeats.

Now, I've got to be honest -- I was a big fan of the drum with triple-flanged top and bottom, but my Sonor d505 is doing "that" sound better than the Supra.
I once threw on a die-cast on it from my 80’s Tama Imperialstar snare and it took out too much ring and tone. Other snares like that die-cast though.

richiegarcia4

Reaction score
It's all personal. My 5" supra is the best rock snare I've ever played. I really don't like 6.5" drums in general, but my rock style was always more frenetic Keith than booming Bonham.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve always loved a great sounding LM400 (the 5 model), but I love lots of different snare drum sounds. It also probably matters that a stellar LM400 was my introduction to vintage drums and I’ve loved them ever since. For some reason, I’ve never had a 6.5” version that I loved, but I’ve had several 5s that really were a ball to play. I recorded my first solo album in 1998 and almost every track used my 5” Supra which beat out the other options I had at the time for studio sound.

That said, I recently sold yet another great sounding LM400 I had, and no longer own one. Why? Because if I want aluminum, I have a pair of drums that cover that sound — a 5” black Acrolite and a 6.5” INDe. For 5” snares though, my go-to is my Ludwig LB401 which is clear lacquer over brass. It’s just what I typically reach for if I want that great Ludwig (brass) sound. I know it’s not the same.