5” Supra. Why can’t I get into it?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was gonna suggest this, that's pretty much the only Santana song where the snare isn't burried under the congas, timables, cowbells and what-have-yous for most of the song...
every now and then Shrieve will come out with a turn around phrase (led by the drumset) but not always knew which drums he was using Because he switched around a Lot.
But yes. Usually almost background to the Perc section.

here I'll play one..(wait..

he used a lot of different sets at different times
(see I think that was 5 pc mahoghany thermogloss there

could have been a Gretsch there maybe not
Leon Chancler also came in on that album But a few tracks were still Mike; that's one

and likely a 5" supraphonic.

(two must have Santana albums btw)

Last edited:

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You see what I was getting DamSing .... We/ sometimes/ have to have some/ relating/ prior (in our head)...relationship/ with ' an axe' before we can fall in Like (or more) with it. (especially with vintage designs)

You got me : ) You understood.. :thumbsUp:
Of course I got where you were getting at. I just openned the first 2 links out of curiosity and the snare was almost non-existent in those songs, so I was about to suggest soul sacrifice, but you guys beat me to the punch ...

All good

Reactions: JDA

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I used a 70s 5” Supra for years and years. Was fine until I developed an infatuation with wood drums.

A few years ago I got a lovely 5” 1964. Took it to an outdoor gig and was glad I also had my Classic Maple. The Supra was quite vegan sounding. Tuned fine, Ludwig reso and wires, Ambassador batter.

Celery juice.

A while ago I was at a car show and the band was setting up. I walked behind the kit to get a better look and then close behind the drummer as he banged a bit on his Supra alone. It sounded pretty bad.

But when the band started—country— the snare sounded excellent. The drums were not mic’d. That snare just sat in the songs cracking a friendly and neighborly smile. It bought all the other instruments a round of beers.

My point—I need to tune some more. Different heads or wires. Get a band with a pedal steel guitar, perhaps.

Maybe some of these are 15-foot drums? They sound better from 15 feet away.

Lord Ny

Reaction score
I’ve tried many times to like the shorter Supra but it does nothing for me. Then I throw a 6.5” Supra on the stand and I’m channeling Bonham all day.

I should like the LM400 just as much if not more. Ian Paice and countless iconic and lesser known drummers made it sound great throughout the decades.

What it is about the LM400 that I can’t get to work for me?
I don't think there is anything wrong with that. You like a certain sound and that is cool.

I have been searching for the perfect ride with the tone and bell sound I have in my head (from a cymbal I played in Jazz Band in High School). I found one 2 years ago and was so happy I thought my search was over, but on closer inspection, it had a small crack started from the center.... I think it is good that we all like our gear to sound specific ways, ways that are different from one drummer to the next. Variety and all :) I do suggest you hang onto that 5", you may play it some day and like the sound for a certain song.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve tried many times to like the shorter Supra but it does nothing for me. Then I throw a 6.5” Supra on the stand and I’m channeling Bonham all day.
Maybe you haven't a channel for the 5 ....maybe no one does ...or if they do could they pass it on over.
I pre-Gadd, came up with Herman's Hermits and Santana ..

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes, my light grey acro eats it for lunch. The character and presence the Supra should have shows up in the Acro, and it’s a fiver.
True. The 8 lug acro versus the 10 lug Supra may be a part of the reason. 10 lugs in 5” tend to be brighter. Try detuning the Supra to a mid range tuning and see if this helps. You may have to change heads too. I generally use an emperor batter and an ambassador snare and keep it in the mid range tuning. It works better to my ears.

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love 5” deep snares.

I do switched from the acro to the supra to the cast alu snares and that was the best thing I have ever done.

It is now my main snare from jazz to rock, and I have chosen to own only one main snare because it works so good.

Especially the 5p buttend helps in getting different sounds under the flip of a switch.

56B7A6F1-CFF5-4F3F-B7D8-18C903720044.jpeg

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had a 10 wire strand laying around, and on a whim, put it on my 60s Supra. I swear, it sounds like a Doors record. Just had a little different character, so I decided to leave it.

Reactions: JDA

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a '71 400 which sounds better than any 402 that I've played, including my old Chicago era 402 from the 80s. I just use my usual formula of tight snare side head and whatever top tension I need at the time. I get compliments on this drum, never did with my late 70s 400 or 402...

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
The LM400 is probably my favorite drum of all time. It's just one of those things where I know if nothing else is working for me, a supra will do the trick. My first set ( a 70's Gretsch) that I got used in June of 1983 came with a 1966 supra that I still own along with the set. That drum will do just about anything. I have had the occasional one that wasn't all that hot but just about every one of them has been great. Those are just one of those things that they got right all those years ago and they have stood the test of time.

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well what I’ve gathered is not a lot of people
Like 5” deep metal snares so feel free to send them my way and I’ll dispose of them at the recycling plant that happens to be located in my drum room ;). No but the shallower metal snares have a certain brightness some don’t like.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Reaction score
Have you checked it for roundness and trueness? It no longe surprises me how often these issues arise. My 70’s B/O 5” Supra, with all of its dings and pitting, is an amazing instrument, especially with genuine Weather Master heads.
The drum has one two t-rods that are in tune with the others even when much looser. What that signifies, I don't know, but it does eventually tune up well. I haven't measured to see how true and round it is, though. Worth a look when I'm back in the city again.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Reaction score
Put a coated Emperor on it. I'm not a fan of 5" metal snares and the thicker head cuts the ring and fattens the tone. I definitely prefer the 6.5" version.....
I put a coated PS77 on it last night, which helped control the ring and focus the tone with the dot. First time with that snare head and it improved the drum a bit.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Powerstroke 77 on a Supra—now that is something I never considered. Maybe I should, but it’s a lot of built in treatment.

What does it do to the tone in addition to focusing it. A Thonk? A Thack? A Thoom?

Does it kill the projection? That would be my worry in a live setting.

I was actually toying putting a Controlled sound or Controlled Sound X on mine, but I’m curious about the 77.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Reaction score
I used a 70s 5” Supra for years and years. Was fine until I developed an infatuation with wood drums.

A few years ago I got a lovely 5” 1964. Took it to an outdoor gig and was glad I also had my Classic Maple. The Supra was quite vegan sounding. Tuned fine, Ludwig reso and wires, Ambassador batter.

Celery juice.

A while ago I was at a car show and the band was setting up. I walked behind the kit to get a better look and then close behind the drummer as he banged a bit on his Supra alone. It sounded pretty bad.

But when the band started—country— the snare sounded excellent. The drums were not mic’d. That snare just sat in the songs cracking a friendly and neighborly smile. It bought all the other instruments a round of beers.

My point—I need to tune some more. Different heads or wires. Get a band with a pedal steel guitar, perhaps.

Maybe some of these are 15-foot drums? They sound better from 15 feet away.
I've played a few shows where the 5" Supra in another band either sat perfectly in the mix, or was a treat to hear, usually because the drummer was already kicking butt.

The '67 I have came with factory heads and wires. Even though the head was chipped out to form a moon crater, it clearly hadn't been bashed on or abused. This drum appeared to be a student drum that was put away for many years and when it was used, carried in its case alongside a stand that probably had no rubber feet, which is where the scratches came from.

All that in mind, it sounded a lot better until I used up that old head and put a new one on. After that, it's been a challenge drum. Maybe that 50 year old head can't be replicated? I don't know.

Last edited:

1988fxlr

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I already had my 6.5” monroe supra before I acquired my 5” b/o acro and felt the same way at first. If I tuned it down to avoid crazy ringing it lost too much power and tuned high it was too ringy. First step that helped was swapping the snare side head from a hazy ambassador to a rennaissance which subtly cut down the ring so I could run whatever batter head suited the sound I wanted. Then in an effort to “open up” a slingerland artist snare I swapped the stick saver hoops over to the acro and put the triple flanged on the slingerland. Didn’t do much for the artist bit dried out the acro just enough without changing the feel as much as die cast would

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Reaction score
Powerstroke 77 on a Supra—now that is something I never considered. Maybe I should, but it’s a lot of built in treatment.

What does it do to the tone in addition to focusing it. A Thonk? A Thack? A Thoom?

Does it kill the projection? That would be my worry in a live setting.

I was actually toying putting a Controlled sound or Controlled Sound X on mine, but I’m curious about the 77.
If the familiar sound of a coated ambassador forms the control group, the 77 is indeed more focused and controlled, given the ring under the perimeter and the middle dot.

The drum can still be made to ring a bit when playing off center or near the edge, which I welcome.

Of Thonk, Thack, or Thoom.. nah, it sounds much more predictable than I expected. It isn't that much different from an ambassador with a touch of dampening or a coated CS. Just more focused and little fatter like a girl I met who drank lattes at a cafe.