5 days studio retreat!!!

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Reaction score
Yes, kids before christmas and all that... My bandmates and I are going on a 5 days writing/recording "workation" in a studio. I can't even begin to tell you how excited I am. No distractions, no kids or wives around, but most of all, none of that remote crap: music is meant to be played together. Just us guys in a large room, makin' some (hopefully nice) noise and having a ball.

The car is all packed, the only trouble is, I over estimated the cargo capacity of my little wagon and I lent my trailer to some friends who are moving. I'm affraid I won't be able to bring both of my drumsets but I brought various heads to get different tones if need be. It's not like my sub-Ringo chops repertoire would take full advantage of more tonal options anyway... But you know, we like our toys, don't we? ;-)

I will post pics of the studio when I get there later tonight.

Woohoo

Attachments

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Reaction score
Sounds like a dream! Is the red car a Porsche? :)
Yeah, it's my old beater Boxster S.

Kinda like the "Catalina drums" of performance cars. A cheaper version the real deal, much bitched about by non-owners, but able to keep up with some of the the big boys when well tuned and handled by capable hands.

The poor thing had a rough life ;-), but it's still a blast to drive on twisty backroads.

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you singing too or just drumming?

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Reaction score
Tornado: Well we are 5 lead singers. We pretty much always sing 5 parts harmonies in choruses and select song sections.We jonkingly refer to ourselves as The Seaguls a cajun bargain bin version of the Eagles... ;-) of the few songs I lead,2 are from behind the kit.

I now have waaaaaaaay more respect for Levon, Henley and other drummers that sand lead. That sheet ain't easy (at least for me it ain't), even moreso when drums aren't your main instrument.

Last edited:

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tornado: Well we are 5 lead singers. We pretty much always sing 5 parts harmonies in choruses and select song sections.We jonkingly refer to ourselves as The Seaguls a cajun bargain bin version of the Eagles... ;-) of the few songs I lead,2 are from behind the kit.

I now have waaaaaaaay more respect for Levon, Henley and other drummers that sand lead. That sheet ain't easy (at least for me it ain't), even moreso when drums aren't your main instrument.
Yeah, when you try to sing and play, you find out just how many cpu cycles you have free.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Reaction score
Here's a few pics of load in night.
Oh and there are 2 of a nice find: an old Leedy marching snare that was in a closet here.

I will post more pics tomorrow by the light of day, this place used to be the residence of a manufacturing Tycoon and it has definitely a 70's playboy sort of vibe...

And yeah I will also post link to our music and probably a bit of what we do here, but I'll have to give you a bit of backstory first so that you have the appropriate point of reference. I'll do all that tomorrow, right now I badly need some shut-eye ...

Attachments

Last edited:

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Soak it all in! These are precious moments! I, for one, am looking forward to hearing the back story of that freak pad :occasion8:

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a few pics of load in night.
Oh and there are 2 of a nice find: an old Leedy marching snare that was in a closet here.

I will post more pics tomorrow by the light of day, this place used to be the residence of a manufacturing Tycoon and it has definitely a 70's playboy sort of vibe...

And yeah I will also post link to our music and probably a bit of what we do here, but I'll have to give you a bit of backstory first so that you have the appropriate point of reference. I'll do all that tomorrow, right now I badly need some shut-eye ...
Tell us about that snare drum.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Reaction score
The snare is a 1914 marching snare and the wires are genuine cat gut... I didn't mess around with the tuning but it sure is a weird tone. I also found 1940's Leedy 32" kick, and here it side by side with my 20" for scale.
20200921_164113.jpg

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Reaction score
Now I have to explain what it is that we do and give a little bit of backstory if I want to overcome my impostor syndrom (wich in my case is thouroughly justified) and let you guys get a glimpse of our stuff. First off, I said it already in other threads but I am NOT a drummer. I am extremely enthusiastic about everything drums related, but I am first and foremost a singer/songwriter/guitar player.

We are 5 guys (french canadians) who all had careers in music, 4 of wich were frontmen and did stuff each under their own name. The 5th is my brother who is a multi instrumentalist, composer and producer and a dam good singer as well.

My brother met the other guys on a TV show that travelled across Canada to shed light on up and coming french singers and matched them with more established artists. He was musical director, another was the host, one was the director and the last one was a guest. After the day's shoot they'd start jamming old cajun tunes (we are all related to the french Cajuns of Louisianna). They had so much fun, they decided half jokingly to start a band to play that repertoire.

A few days later I had a phone call from my bro: "hey! Joe, we are putting up a cajun band, will you be our drummer?" ... I had a drum set at home but couldn't play more than the simplest of Ringo's parts, if that... So I said why not. It was just something to keep ourselves entertained, and maybe share with a few of our friends.

We booked 2 nights at one of our friend's small theater in our hometown. We met one day before the show, having never played together before. We played mostly 2 or 3 chords songs but still, none of us is of "Nashville session guy" level.

Also, we decided that it'd be fun to all play at least one instrument that isn't our main, just to make shure we keep on our toes. The show was a success, despite it being horrendously chaotic. We genuinely had a blast and the crowd loved it. We sold out the 2 nights and the manager booked us for the next year.

So the next year, same story, didn't meet for a year and got together a day before the gigs, but we said hey, let's record the gigs so if we do it again next year, we can remember what parts we played. Aaaaand this live recording became our first album. My second and third gigs EVER on drums, recorded on disc, for all of eternity. This wasn't supposed to get mixed and released, but life has a funny way of throwing curve balls at you.

The ultimate suprise was that a few journalists and/or well connected thought leaders were there at our first shows and word spread fast about us. Interest stemmed more about the contagious enthusiasm than musicianship ;-) It very quickly became much much bigger than any of us expected and the phones were ringing off the hook with booking offers. We had no choice but to put all our individual projects on hold and. We decided to give this silly band a go.

Okay! That was a long one so here are a couple snippets of what we do. The first one is a cajun french version of Buck Owen's "Tiger by the tail". I'm on drums and singing the high harmonies.

This is also a cajun french version of "Another lonely night" recorded live for CBC Television. Here I'm the one in the middle singing the high part.

And here is an longer extract from one of the last concert we did before the lockdown, filmed by our roadie. Here are few more songs where I play drums.

I will post some video snippets from our last studio session as soon as I receive the images from our camera guy annd the rest of the band give me their OK to post here. The time off (and alternatively the discovery of this great forum) motivated me and allowed me to hone my skills. And for the first time ever I'm close to achieve an almost legit level of playing so, I'm anxious to recieve feedback on what I do now rather than on what I did last year.

Thank you guys and sorry for the novel sized post.

Last edited:

MacDaddy

Reaction score
This stuff is great! Awesome singing plus your drumming is real solid too! Love to see interesting new Canadian bands. I work with Alan Doyle and his previous band Great Big Sea for 18 years. In Quebec I never know if anyone knows who that is or not! If this shutdown ever ends I think you guys could be doing a lot of festivals all over the country and more!!

Kris

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Reaction score
Thank you for your kind words Kris :)Well we're all from Eastern Canada, 3 are from New-Brunswick and my bro and I are from the Magdalen Islands wich are part of Quebec but right south of Newfoundland in the St-Lawrence Gulf. And our father spent his life in a trad/celtic influenced band so I know very well who Great Big Sea is... Awesome band, great party music!!!

We had 90 shows lined-up for 2020, a lot of wich were already sold out. We sure are anxious to get back out there, as most of you are, I'm sure... Hopefuly we'll have a chance to meet one day. The scene isn't that big up here, so it is likely to happen ;-)

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Reaction score
Soak it all in! These are precious moments! I, for one, am looking forward to hearing the back story of that freak pad :occasion8:
Sorry for the late reply, but the house was built by one of the Bombardier familly heirs. His father was the guy who invented the snowmobile and later the company bearing his name became an industrial juggernaut, building trains, planes and a slew of other vehicles. The house is in the small village near the plant where they still assemble the Ski-doos. In the early 80's it was used as a party pad for company execs and prospective clients. It now has been passed down to one of the grandsons who runs a small indie record label to wich both my band and I are affiliated. He uses the house as a studio/creation compound. It has 10 bedrooms, many different wings/areas and the layout is pretty funky so it takes a while to figure it all out. Can't wait to get back there. The complete isolation and lack of outside distractions do wonders for the productivity/creativity department...