5 days studio retreat!!!

deegeebee

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my favorite thread ever of any forum, thank you so much for sharing.

The studio mansion retreat sounds amazing, I can only dream about the amount of fun and work we could get done as a band with some focused time away from kids and jobs and life. Looks and sounds like it went great. Only a dream for me.

Your band is fantastic and your drumming is first rate. Good for you guys for sticking with something you enjoy and believe in. Wonderful to have come up with something people love and didn't even know they wanted.

Fantastic exposure for Acadian/French Canadian music in general. I was born along the Acadian coast in NB with half my family in Quebec, live in Halifax now. Not much french in my life these days, but it is an important part of our country. Will be sure to come see you play next time you are in town.

Keep up the great work and please keep sharing here.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Reaction score
This is my favorite thread ever of any forum, thank you so much for sharing.

The studio mansion retreat sounds amazing, I can only dream about the amount of fun and work we could get done as a band with some focused time away from kids and jobs and life. Looks and sounds like it went great. Only a dream for me.

Your band is fantastic and your drumming is first rate. Good for you guys for sticking with something you enjoy and believe in. Wonderful to have come up with something people love and didn't even know they wanted.

Fantastic exposure for Acadian/French Canadian music in general. I was born along the Acadian coast in NB with half my family in Quebec, live in Halifax now. Not much french in my life these days, but it is an important part of our country. Will be sure to come see you play next time you are in town.

Keep up the great work and please keep sharing here.
Wow! Thank you so much Deegeebee, such a moving message. This forum platform sure opens some unexpected doors. And that's the beauty of it.

This whole fun retreat thing isn't that far out of reach of the casual weekend warrior band. All-in it was less expensive than an equivalent hunting/fishing trip to an outfitting lodge or a hockey tournament or the likes. It also can be done even cheaper by booking a more modest studio and an airb&b close-by. The major factor is time. Coordinating time off sure can be a challenge for a group of working adults but a lot of people take group vacations so it is possible. It is also an investment, because hopefully, at the end of it, you have some added value to your band, by way of new marketable/sellable material. Be it new songs if you're an originals band, or a more professional sounding demo if you are a cover band. And then there are the less tangible but no less important human factors that such an experience can provide to your band, given that everybody feels heard and included and it is done with the utmost respect of each member. It helps you grow and develop a strong sense of belonging.

When we first got together and started singing and learning the songs for our first show, it was a bit like we'd all been eating the same comforting meal for a while and one day, being served a healthy serving of spicy gumbo. All of our sense jumped to attention to the sudden burst of flavors and the adrenalin rush provided by the chili peppers. We'd burst out laughing at the end of each song because it is so liberating to get out of "performance mode" and just tap into raw emotion. Also liberating to go from being "the guy" to being "one of the guys".

I'm definitely glad if our stuff struck a chord and resonated with your acadian roots. I know there's small but active community of french people in Halifax and there were talks of playing there at some point although now with all the changes to the schedule, I don't know where that falls. I know that we are supposed to go to the Baie Ste-Marie next summer though, wich isn't that far away. We will probably graft a Halifax stop to that trip to make the drive worthwhile.

As for my drumming being first rate... Although flattering, a lot of very accomplished drummers here would most likely disagree. And they'd be right ;-) The drums on the first album were laughably sloppy, and I mean EPIC levels of sloppyness. I didn't put cymbals on the kit, save for the hats, because it was too much distraction from the task at hand wich was (trying to) keep the groove going. And I even failed at that on many occasions. Same goes for the toms. There was I think 1 hit on the floor in one song :icon_e_biggrin: Also I played with tapped up Blastix because I couldn't control my bounce with regular sticks!!!! But I slowly improved as the gigs came rolling. What you see in the vids up here is about 25 to 40 gigs into the run and I've gotten more and more steady and comfortable. Fake it til you make it, right ;-)

Thanks again for the heartfelt comments and I will definitely keep this thread going with new material as soon as I get it along with the band's permission.

On this, have a great day:thumbleft:

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Fantastic thread and a wonderful band - very enjoyable!

This Jo El Sonnier fan Approves! :thumbup:

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Reaction score
Fantastic thread and a wonderful band - very enjoyable!

This Jo El Sonnier fan Approves! :thumbup:
Thanks a lot!! Yeah Jo El is awesome. if you like him you might really enjoy Joel Savoy and his brother Winston from Eunice, LA. They're pretty much considered cajun royalty. Their father is the builder of the famous Savoy accordions and their mom is a cajun history scholar. We were invited to go and spend Mardi gras at their place this year and it is a shame that it didn't pan out. So many extremely talented people down there it's very humbling to be part of this current of keeping that culture alive while adding our north eastern spin on it.

deegeebee

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As for my drumming being first rate... Although flattering, a lot of very accomplished drummers here would most likely disagree. And they'd be right ;-) The drums on the first album were laughably sloppy, and I mean EPIC levels of sloppyness. I didn't put cymbals on the kit, save for the hats, because it was too much distraction from the task at hand wich was (trying to) keep the groove going. And I even failed at that on many occasions. Same goes for the toms. There was I think 1 hit on the floor in one song :icon_e_biggrin: Also I played with tapped up Blastix because I couldn't control my bounce with regular sticks!!!! But I slowly improved as the gigs came rolling. What you see in the vids up here is about 25 to 40 gigs into the run and I've gotten more and more steady and comfortable. Fake it til you make it, right ;-)
This is what I am talking about! You have no idea how inspiring this stuff is to read for someone who is still in the "fake it" stagewith their band . I know there is the unquantifyable benefit of all of your collective experience as musicians and industry knowhow in there as well but still this stuff is all just priceless motivation to get to work and make something happen.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Reaction score
This is what I am talking about! You have no idea how inspiring this stuff is to read for someone who is still in the "fake it" stagewith their band . I know there is the unquantifyable benefit of all of your collective experience as musicians and industry knowhow in there as well but still this stuff is all just priceless motivation to get to work and make something happen.

A number of artists have proven that when you do something you love, with honesty, something different, unique or even a novel take on some familliar stuff, success can be enjoyed. Heck, even the Beatles and the Stones were not technically gifted musicians in a scholar sense (maybe except Paul). But they had guts, instinct, charisma and somehow their collective potential and output as a whole far exceeded the sum of their parts. You mileage may vary of course. But if you and your bandmates feel exhilarated when playing together, even if it's just a simple groove over 2 chords, chances are somebody will pick up on that vibe. Because Hapiness is contagious. And even if it turns out that your success peaks at the local café or club, or a couple hundred views on social media. Then it's still a couple hundred persons that you got to dance, smile, nod, clap... Still a bigger success than some "shoulda coulda woulda" hypothetical one. now don't take this as a "take a second mortgage on your house to book abbey road studios for 2 weeks" type of advice because it's not... All I'm try to say is don't be embarassed or affraid to try something even if you think you are not at a certain "level". The being at a certain level part is the destination, but you know what they say: it is more about the trip ...

And the friends you make along the way. Lol :icon_e_biggrin:

Last edited:

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Reaction score
Well my buddy Rogers and I are getting out of the house once again. This award show we're nominated in has decided to go through with artists performances in an empty theater. We're doing ours tomorrow. This will be aired around the end of the month so I'll have a link to post then. Right now I'm enjoying loading up the car again. Any little thing that makes us feel like "normal", am I right? ;-)

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Reaction score
Holy cow that’s fantastic stuff , by golly you ARE a drummer !!!
The second chance at life makes you magnanimous Houndog... ;-)

Jokes aside, thanks a lot. I can half decently fake my way around the kit. I've got a good sense of what a song needs, groove-wise and I can play simple things kinda Ok, dynamically with others. But when I hit the pad it is there that I VERY SOON hit the limits of my untrained hands, especially the left. "Hey I got this" turns to "NOPE" in a few short increments on my metronome jog wheel... But the good thing is: every small increase in my overall skills does a very noticeable difference right away. So every 20 mins session on the pad or every play along is instantly rewarding. I imagine that it isn't the same for the people who are at 98% of their capacity and trying to reach the last 2%...