5 Great all purpose Rides (DCP)

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

I was entertained...much to my surprise...the Paiste 900 was my favorite....
Interesting.....

Mine too out of the ones demoed.

Never would have thought that if I hadn't of heard them.

Clear and articulate.

Tommy D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If I had to choose, probably the Zildjian A Sweet for me, though it has a gongy undertone in there. Can't believe they put that AAX ride in there instead of the HHX Legacy Heavy.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't really care for any of them a great deal. None of these are what I would consider if making a video like this.

When I think "all arounder"....

-Zil Regular K
-Sabian HHX Evo or Groove
-Paiste ME or DE MKII
-Meinl Byzance Medium
-Istanbul Agop/Mehmet Traditional Medium Ride

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score
That Paiste 900 is suprising; I'd like to hear it with 2 rivets. The Z and the Agop are very nice as well.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Notice how slow he played the 24...
Think if the classification was " all-arounder" (some funny choices) but the Sabian kinda did "all-purpose" to me best. He only swung on the sweet ride (maybe he thought it was a K.)

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not really surprised that someone in New Hampshire doesn't mention " country" as a style. Cause there's so many big band gigs these days..

James Walker

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice cymbals all around, but...that snare drum. Oh my, that snare drum.

Old Drummer

Reaction score
I enjoy comparison videos like this and respect the opinions of the people at this drum shop, but sometimes the main thing I learn from videos like this one is how different my tastes are from the experts'. Maybe if I listened more or actually played the cymbals myself one or two others would appeal to me, but based on this video, the only cymbal I would consider is the Agop. Why some of the others are recommended puzzles me.

Also, I wonder why those who demo ride cymbals do so little riding of them but so much crashing and bell playing instead. At least 95% of what I do with a ride cymbal is ride it. I'm therefore most interested in hearing how it sounds as a ride cymbal in different circumstances (different patterns and different volumes). I actually didn't hear enough riding of these cymbals to form a strong opinion.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I enjoy comparison videos like this and respect the opinions of the people at this drum shop, but sometimes the main thing I learn from videos like this one is how different my tastes are from the experts'. Maybe if I listened more or actually played the cymbals myself one or two others would appeal to me, but based on this video, the only cymbal I would consider is the Agop. Why some of the others are recommended puzzles me.

Also, I wonder why those who demo ride cymbals do so little riding of them but so much crashing and bell playing instead. At least 95% of what I do with a ride cymbal is ride it. I'm therefore most interested in hearing how it sounds as a ride cymbal in different circumstances (different patterns and different volumes). I actually didn't hear enough riding of these cymbals to form a strong opinion.
You Sir, should check this out: https://www.drumforum.org/threads/istanbul-mehmet-ride-cymbal-demo.164757/

Old Drummer

Reaction score
Thanks. Interestingly, I preferred the SAME ride in both demos (the 20" Legend Dark). I didn't realize this at first because the names flashed quickly and I couldn't keep them straight, but after going back to check, yep, I selected the same one out of both packs.

Mind, the competitors were close, and I liked most of the cymbals, but the edge for me went to the 20" Legend Dark.

I can't say that this is the best all-purpose ride, but if it's the one I prefer, I'd use it unless/until I became frustrated with it in some applications.