5 Greatest RUSH Songs Friday

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not the 5 favorite.
The 5 best (in no particular order)
*Which do you remove and **what goes in its place?

Last edited:

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Am I completely in the minority as a RUSH fan the loves 80's RUSH? I'm not even sure if the actual members of RUSH like the stuff they did in the 80's but I love it. Marathon Man is my favorite RUSH tune along with the Camera Eye. I also love Mission as well as the Manhatten Project and Show Don't Tell. I mean I enjoy most all RUSH stuff but I really enjoy the 80's(synth) RUSH.

Don't everyone grab their pitchforks at once now!

MustangMick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Am I completely in the minority as a RUSH fan the loves 80's RUSH? I'm not even sure if the actual members of RUSH like the stuff they did in the 80's but I love it. Marathon Man is my favorite RUSH tune along with the Camera Eye. I also love Mission as well as the Manhatten Project and Show Don't Tell. I mean I enjoy most all RUSH stuff but I really enjoy the 80's(synth) RUSH.

Signals, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows - Where I started with Rush and still my favourites

Mick

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My contribution to this thread will be these 5.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
My 5 faves (at least at the moment and I still don't mind hearing after all the years and are fun to play)

Limelight
Subdivisions
Driven
Fly By Night
Anthem or Bastille Day (either is fine)

There's others I still like, but can't hardly listen to Tom Sawyer, burned myself out on it and everyone else in the household when I was 13 trying to learn it :)

thejohnlec

Reaction score
I can pick 5, with a reverent nod to Permanent Waves in its entirety:

The Garden
Witch Hunt
Grand Designs (the best example of their style of rock with synths - killer drum production)
Subdivisions (for the lyrics especially)
Far Cry

I'm a long time fan who took a break after Power Windows and came back around.

Freewill3

Reaction score

Not alone my friend! I was 12 when I saw the video for Distant Early Warning and there was no turning back! That big red Tama kit was amazing to my eyes. Middletown Dreams is one song that takes me to a far off place whenever I listen to it. Analog Kid, Losing It, Mystic Rhythms, etc...love the 80's stuff! Oh, and when they brought back The Body Electric on the Clockwork Angels tour I almost wept!

sptucker

Reaction score
For me the dark ages started right after Power Windows, as there were still a couple real gems on the Signals, Grace Under Pressure and Power Windows albums. Hold Your Fire and Roll the Bones are my least favorites by a very wide margin. Presto is slightly better, even though it is sandwiched between the two least favorites of mine.

When Counterparts was released, I breathed a sigh of relief as they returned to form somewhat. Just my opinion of course.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I love pretty much all rush but I'd bail Tom and Spirit and add YYZ and By-Tor or Subdivisions and that's a pretty sweet list!

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There were five Great Rush songs???

I’m kidding.
I LOVE the ones you chose.
I would add Limelight and Fly By Night and New World Man.
This list is extremely difficult.

Bandit

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well considering Tom Sawyer exposed RUSH to the world, it has to be on the list. Even if people are bored of it. It is RUSH's Stairway to Heaven. 2112 has to be on the list. It was the album that saved them, and created a huge following. Not my favourite RUSH song, but Limelight would have to be considered one of their most popular. YYZ would also have to be considered. Not many instrumental songs have people singing the lyrics all over the world. La Villa Strangiato would have to be the last choice, just because it shows the boys off at their peak musicianship and is just an amazing piece of music.

mfryed2112

DFO Master
Reaction score
In my area the five that get played on the radio the most are Tom Sawyer, limelight, subdivisions, Spirit of the radio, and freewill. closer to the heart, working man and fly by night or three more that get played but not as much as the previous five that I listed. And lastly they will sometimes play New World Man. My favorite Rush song is limelight, after that my favorites would be classified as B side songs

Latest posts