5 minute drum lesson (wisdom of an ok drummer)

kallen49

Reaction score
My children suggested I offer on line drum lessons (because lots of bored young people are looking for activities since schools out probably until September)
I said the important things I could teach about getting hired to play drums would only take 5 minutes at which point the student should begin studies with a real drum teacher; a drummer who is well schooled and can teach rudiments, sight reading and music composition.
(I was a terrible teenage student so don’t have great “chops“. I benefited from growing up in a musical family with 2 great guitar playing brothers who offered me the opportunity to play full time for a couple of years and then lots of gigs over the past 40 years. Also benefited from working as a teenager in musical instrument retail).

so what words of wisdom would be in your 5 minute lesson?

mine, in no order,
#1) don’t be a ”dick” (no one wants to work with a negative grumpy person)
#2) be reliable and on time (I like to arrive first at the gig, bandleaders like that).
#3) learn the meaning and practice of two words: discipline (be in charge of your own behaviour) and concentration (thinking about what you are doing and only what you are doing).
#4) Serve the music (This is perhaps the most important lesson. I have heard this at almost every drum clinic I ever attended).
#5) Drummers are timekeepers so if you don’t have good time sense you better learn it. (use a metronome).

P.S.
Learn to tune drums. Takes time and a little money to experiment with different heads. If I don’t get a lot of complements about my playing I do get some about how good my drums sound.

Bob Blackwood

Reaction score
That about covers all the key stuff. All simple things. Simple is sometimes not easy - repeat until understood, inside out.

blikum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My children suggested I offer on line drum lessons (because lots of bored young people are looking for activities since schools out probably until September)
I said the important things I could teach about getting hired to play drums would only take 5 minutes at which point the student should begin studies with a real drum teacher; a drummer who is well schooled and can teach rudiments, sight reading and music composition.
(I was a terrible teenage student so don’t have great “chops“. I benefited from growing up in a musical family with 2 great guitar playing brothers who offered me the opportunity to play full time for a couple of years and then lots of gigs over the past 40 years. Also benefited from working as a teenager in musical instrument retail).

so what words of wisdom would be in your 5 minute lesson?

mine, in no order,
#1) don’t be a ”dick” (no one wants to work with a negative grumpy person)
#2) be reliable and on time (I like to arrive first at the gig, bandleaders like that).
#3) learn the meaning and practice of two words: discipline (be in charge of your own behaviour) and concentration (thinking about what you are doing and only what you are doing).
#4) Serve the music (This is perhaps the most important lesson. I have heard this at almost every drum clinic I ever attended).
#5) Drummers are timekeepers so if you don’t have good time sense you better learn it. (use a metronome).

P.S.
Learn to tune drums. Takes time and a little money to experiment with different heads. If I don’t get a lot of complements about my playing I do get some about how good my drums sound.
This. ^^^

moodman

Lone Wolf
Reaction score
1. Dynamics are more important than chops.
2. If, when performing, you make a mistake, FORGET IT and finish the song right (never draw attention to the mistakes of another player)
3. With enough acquired technique and experience you can reach a place where the music plays you, that is, you play "in the moment" responding with a trained body and informed mind without thinking or counting.
4. Play every chance you get, and practice things that stretch your technique, even if you don't master something, trying will add something to your technique.
5. Remember that for every musician with a gig, there are thousands wishing they had that gig, respect that and make the most of your opportunity.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve never understood why anyone needs to be told to “ serve the music “ .
You must never have played with a guitar player with a dozen fancy pedals who slathers layers of fluff all over the joint and muddies the water
I used to be that guitar player many years ago. I get it now.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
1. Dynamics are more important than chops.
2. If, when performing, you make a mistake, FORGET IT and finish the song right (never draw attention to the mistakes of another player)
3. With enough acquired technique and experience you can reach a place where the music plays you, that is, you play "in the moment" responding with a trained body and informed mind without thinking or counting.
4. Play every chance you get, and practice things that stretch your technique, even if you don't master something, trying will add something to your technique.
5. Remember that for every musician with a gig, there are thousands wishing they had that gig, respect that and make the most of your opportunity.
#1 Yes ......

TPC

Reaction score
^ Right.

So much of this "modern", "be nice to people", "serve the music" crap is for the birds.

Go up there and play loudly, play fast, listen only to your drumming - not the bass player, not the piano player, and for God's sake not the singer, and fit in your latest double-swiss-triplet-bass-drum-flam-a-cue whenever you can - preferably during the verses.

Translation - I agree with everything the OP said.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I could add only that drums are also about the sound not the looks so develop an ear for good gear and build your drums around a good snare and cymbal array.

Latest posts