5 piece 83 Artstar Piano Black? Fugazzi?

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Someone is advertising a 6 piece Tama Artstar. Well it's actually a 5 piece, with a vintage Superstar snare near me in Piano black.
There's a few issues that set off alarm bells, but I want to take a look as there are some nice excessories I'm interested included with the kit.
So the guy doesn't know much, if anything about drums, or cymbals. I looked in the 83 catalog, and the only color offered was the Cordia. I believe Black was offered in Japan in 83, but I can't confirm?
Does anyone know if Tama made the Artstar Cordia in Piano Black in 83? 4 of the badges are "Script", but his 10 inch is "Block".

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
https://reverb.com/item/34266457-tama-artstar-cordia-16-floor-tom-black-lacquer?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=6445914847&utm_content=campaignid=6445914847_adgroupid=82656632528_productpartitionid=918292342068=merchantid=211625850_productid=34266457_keyword=_device=c_adposition=_matchtype=_creative=391716654878&gclid=CjwKCAjwtNf6BRAwEiwAkt6UQjeSejS0lgHk0oJYOWO7JZZSm1y03f1iItSBEe_Kv0BjIlK8BbBWUxoCLuUQAvD_BwE

This seller on Reverb is offering 3 black Artstar Cordia's. Based on the "slanted T" badge style and 8 digit serial number I'd say '85 to '86....same time frame the Superstars were offered in black lacquer. I would be leery about a 1983 black lacquer cordia.....but you never know. It should at least have the older style "straight up" T badge, and preferably an 83-xxxx serial number.

I see another one of these black '85/'86 kits offered on my CL out of PA. Same badges as the above one.

Deafmoon

Reaction score
As someone that played the Tama Aqua Superstars and a Mastercraft snare from 79 through 84, I can tell you, yes there was a Black Artstar offering. I don't think it was in the catalog though, but I remember seeing the finish in an International Musican ad years ago.
1599568424179.png

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It does seem that the Artstars began the badge transitions from straight up to slanted T. Was not really aware of that until poking around on Reverb checking out badges. But the '83 Artstars still maintained the 6 digit serial numbers with a leading 83XXXX. The other lines put a dash in there as 83-XXXX. The ones with 8 digits would be the next versions in later '84 to 86. My best estimate. I'm used to seeing numbers like 140xxxxx to 165xxxxx....higher being later in that final 2-3 yr run.

Last edited:

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok, I read similar info. I believe they had a few finishes, but only the Cordia was offered in the US. A black is harder to find, but some of the other colors are super rare.
So the digits in the serial number would be the determining factor of when it was made?
That's super helpful.
As for the Artstar, it's an amazing sounding kit in person, or if I play it through my interface. The bass sounds sick at every tuning I've tried (wide open), but it wasn't till recently i found the sweet spot with the toms. It resonates deep, but with no ugly overtones, and feel great to play. Through the EAD system, i believe just about all kits will sound similar. However, Paiste cymbals still fit right in.
Just thought I'd write a quick review.
I think the biggest problem with that Cordia finish, is it scratches very easy. I see why I very rarely see em in anything better than good condition.
I'm in a good mood today.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There was definitely a black Artstar offering. I don't remember seeing it until the second year of it's release here in the states.

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
I had a set of toms in Piano White in the early 90's. I know they offered Piano White and Piano Black. I loved that they were finished inside and out. Great sounding toms. I was always on the lookout for a matching bass drum, but had to settle on using the 22in Slingerland that I had.

I always thought Cordia was the wood finish offered. I don't know they there was such a thing as Cordia in Piano Black or White.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had a set of toms in Piano White in the early 90's. I know they offered Piano White and Piano Black. I loved that they were finished inside and out. Great sounding toms. I was always on the lookout for a matching bass drum, but had to settle on using the 22in Slingerland that I had.

I always thought Cordia was the wood finish offered. I don't know they there was such a thing as Cordia in Piano Black or White.
I own a kit, and just always assumed it was at least 2 ply of Cordia that sandwiched the birch.
The inside of the drums have that dark layer of Cordia.
That's something U never gave much thought to.
It is a bitch/Cordia combo??