5 year old vid about Sound Absorption panels

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It looks like it may, be less costly. I guess it depends on availability of materials. Thought I'd share

mfk252

Reaction score
The 2nd half of the video discussing the making of the panels is good, but the quasi-science he uses for his testing is very flawed. Drywall would've performed much better in this test. He is mixing up the NRC (absorbing sound) and STC (blocking sound) ratings of the materials. His test is measuring sound blocking and not absorption. Architects and contractors I work with get this wrong all of the time.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen this before. There are some big problems with the testing as stated ^^^. Also, he only tested 5kHz to 17kHz. That's not much help for a drummer unless you know specifically you need help in those frequencies, which you probably don't.

cashmanbashman

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Architects and contractors I work with get this wrong all of the time.
Yes they do, I was a mason for years and they had us dumping sand down the block walls when it should have been perlite and vice versa. And don’t even get me started on shoving paper bags in what we’re to be fireproof block walls.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes they do, I was a mason for years and they had us dumping sand down the block walls when it should have been perlite and vice versa. And don’t even get me started on shoving paper bags in what we’re to be fireproof block walls.
Paper bags? Incredible!!!

I haven't heard of using sand or perlite for sound control in walls. What is the difference between or why would you use one over another?

fusseltier

Reaction score
I am planning on using the heavy moving blankets I purchased. I think there are plenty of materials that can work out nicely for this.
That's what we used, like uhaul blankets and others we could find. Worked great.