500 mil snare side heads

rayboomboom

Reaction score
I like a medium tuned snare. On my gigging kit I play a 10" rack tom tuned as low as it will go but still 'sing'. The problem is the sympathetic buzz from the snare is really hard to control. I know there is no 100% cure for this, but I'm trying to minimize the buzz. I usually use a 200 or 300 snare side head, but I'm wondering if a thicker 500 would make any difference. And of course I experiment with loosening/tightening lugs on both drums. I'm also thinking of using a thicker and maybe even a coated bottom head on the 10" (I use a coated top now).

Has anyone here had luck with 500 mil heads?

What do you do for sympathetic buzz?

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In my experience those two drums are possibly tuned to close to the same pitch. So either you loosen the 4 tension rods closest to the snare bed, or tune one of the drums out of the others range. I like a tighter snare so I don't have this problem. But if I do a session with a lower pitched snare it occasionally will occur. That rack tom is likely your culprit. Fun to play I'm sure but creates problems. Lots of guys use 12's at the same pitch to avoid that...

Can't tell you about the thicker snare head. I have an Evans 500 snare head on a 15" snare that doubles as a tom. So it works in that capacity.

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I like a medium tuned snare. On my gigging kit I play a 10" rack tom tuned as low as it will go but still 'sing'. The problem is the sympathetic buzz from the snare is really hard to control. I know there is no 100% cure for this, but I'm trying to minimize the buzz. I usually use a 200 or 300 snare side head, but I'm wondering if a thicker 500 would make any difference. And of course I experiment with loosening/tightening lugs on both drums. I'm also thinking of using a thicker and maybe even a coated bottom head on the 10" (I use a coated top now).

Has anyone here had luck with 500 mil heads?

What do you do for sympathetic buzz?
Since using Aquarian High Performance snare side heads I barely, and I mean barely experience snare buzz anymore. I have puresound super 30s on my brass snare drum with that head and it barely ever buzzes. C# on the bass makes it bark a little bit.

rayboomboom

Reaction score
Since using Aquarian High Performance snare side heads I barely, and I mean barely experience snare buzz anymore. I have puresound super 30s on my brass snare drum with that head and it barely ever buzzes. C# on the bass makes it bark a little bit.
In your sig it says you're using a 13" tom. So I would doubt you would get much buzz. Thanks for the info though. I'll look into the Aquarian head.

rayboomboom

Reaction score
Is this the marching snare you posted about a while back? That is such a cool project! Thanks for the info.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
The sympathetic buzz doesn't bother me. It's the unsympathetic buzz that trips my trigger.
...bbbzzzzzzyousuckasadrummerbzzzzzz...bbbzzzzzzyou'rewearingTHATto a gig???bbbzzzz...bbbzzzzyoucouldstandtoloseafew,lardassbbzzzzzz....

Brutal...

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I tried it, looking for the super low fat concussion mortar snare drum. I kind of figured, despite the 5 mil snare side being much maligned (or even people being unaware and maligning you thinking you were trying to put an Emperor batter on the snare side), if anyone could like it, it'd be me. I was disappointed. It didn't darken up the wire sound, it didn't do anything good to the sound, pretty much the only thing it did was to decrease the sensitivity.

rayboomboom

Reaction score
In my experience those two drums are possibly tuned to close to the same pitch. So either you loosen the 4 tension rods closest to the snare bed, or tune one of the drums out of the others range. I like a tighter snare so I don't have this problem. But if I do a session with a lower pitched snare it occasionally will occur. That rack tom is likely your culprit. Fun to play I'm sure but creates problems. Lots of guys use 12's at the same pitch to avoid that...

Can't tell you about the thicker snare head. I have an Evans 500 snare head on a 15" snare that doubles as a tom. So it works in that capacity.
Oops, this question was supposed to go here:
Hey jaymandude. Is this the marching snare you posted about a while back? That is such a cool project! Thanks for the info.

rayboomboom

Reaction score
So from responses so far I'm thinking that a thicker or coated bottom on the 10" to darken that sound might be the way to go. I wouldn't mind the tone being a little darker anyway to help with some bottom end resonance.

I don't want to lose sensitivity, but then again that's part of my problem...!?

Another grand experiment?

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Oops, this question was supposed to go here:
Hey jaymandude. Is this the marching snare you posted about a while back? That is such a cool project! Thanks for the info.
Not really sure. I've wanted a deeper side snare like the hip hop guys and tried maybe 4 drums untill I settled on a 50's Slingerland 6.5x15. I used a 70's Ludwig 10x14 for a minute but if you want lower pitch you gotta increase the diameter.

I don't think your situation is a drum head issue. For me it's tuning. But if youre committed to the snare and tom at that tuning then try something else I suppose.

Moonman

Reaction score
So from responses so far I'm thinking that a thicker or coated bottom on the 10" to darken that sound might be the way to go. I wouldn't mind the tone being a little darker anyway to help with some bottom end resonance.

I don't want to lose sensitivity, but then again that's part of my problem...!?

Another grand experiment?
I had a similar experience with my 10" tom. At the time I had a coated Evans G1 and put it on the reso side, and an Aquarian Response 2 Coated on top. I really liked it for what we were playing and I think it helped. Sometimes, if the snare buzz was really too much, I'd fold a piece of duct tape and slide it under the snare wires close to the rim. Hope it helps.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
The best solution I've found to eliminate snare buzz when you hit the mounted tom is to switch snare drums. There are other solutions, but they usually involve de-tuning the drums, so you lose your sound.

My gig set had a lot of snare buzz when I hit the mounted tom with the original snare. I think it's because the shells are the same wood and vibrate at the same frequency. I tried a couple different snares until I found one that didn't excite the mounted tom.

I also recommend Noble and Cooley Cam Action snares. They are designed to eliminate sympathetic snare buzz, and they still give you a lot snare response.

Ptrick

Reaction score
Evans markets their snare side heads with the model #300, which is actually 3 mil, which adds to the confusion. 300 mil would be very thick!!

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
Not really sure. I've wanted a deeper side snare like the hip hop guys and tried maybe 4 drums untill I settled on a 50's Slingerland 6.5x15. I used a 70's Ludwig 10x14 for a minute but if you want lower pitch you gotta increase the diameter.

I don't think your situation is a drum head issue. For me it's tuning. But if youre committed to the snare and tom at that tuning then try something else I suppose.
And then there's guys like me who just had to try a 5mil snare side on a 15" drum.

Latest posts