50's A's...

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My two new 60's A's arrived today. Really nice pies. They're similar in a lot of ways at 1793 and 1980 grams.

The 1980g has a 1 1/4" stamp w/ 3 dots.
It's super close to the edge of the cymbal.
IMG_20200618_133535782.jpg

IMG_20200618_133553460.jpg

The 1793g has a faint 1 3/8" stamp w/ 3 dots. (Though, the made in USA portion of the stamp is not there, so it was hard to measure. The top of the Arabic writing is also not visible.) This stamp is located a lot closer to the middle of the cymbal.

IMG_20200618_133431915.jpg

IMG_20200618_133508264.jpg

As you can see, they're both filthy. The lighter one is easily the dirtiest cymbal I've ever owned. It's got 3D dried-on gunk.

They sound really nice together with a pleasing pitch spread. I think they'd both sound great with rivets.

I'm going to play them together and with my 22" K Con and then decide about cleaning them. I'm also very tempted to polish them both. :)...

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My two new 60's A's arrived today....I'm also very tempted to polish them both. :)...
I would clean them with soap and water only. You can buy new shiny As all the time. Or use some liquid cleaner, but don't polish it using any cream polish, those contain abrasives which destroy the orignal surface.

Would love to hear some sounds. Always interesting to know weights etc.when you hear a cymbal.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would clean them with soap and water only. You can buy new shiny As all the time. Or use some liquid cleaner, but don't polish it using any cream polish, those contain abrasives which destroy the orignal surface.

Would love to hear some sounds. Always interesting to know weights etc.when you hear a cymbal.
I'll record them at my next band practice with a couple of guitars.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just got my latest set of 50's A's in on Saturday - trans stamps 15 hats paper thin (745/795), 18 crash thin (1410 gm), and 20 ride medium (2225 gm). As it turned out the seller found a fine edge crack on the ride just as it was being packaged up. So the price of the 20 was heavily adjusted downward. Good thing too, because the edges of that one are wavy/dented all around - from heavy hits. It could be affecting the sound as this 20 is a bit harsh or "evil" when crashing....not the mellow darkness we all prefer to hear. The hats and 18 crash are good though. Overall, typical trans stamps, nothing magical though. The hi hats are excellent individual crashes. As a pair of hats they are pretty good and typical. For being a medium thin 1410 gm, the 18 crash "sounds" a lot thinner...more like 1300-1350 gm. It would fit best with a paper thin set of trans stamps that have a bit dryer and duller sound.

For my father's day "present" I found a 20" mid-50's, "no 3 dot" large stamp (2045 gm) today for a nice price. Be here in a week or so. Looks to be pretty original. I don't own an example of this stamp yet, so I'm curious how it compares to my other "3 dot" large stamps. While it's not a rigorous study, I seem to run into the "no 3 dot" large stamps a lot less often than the "hollow block" or "3 dot" versions. I'm sure Zenstat would have some interesting comments on that.

zildjian large stamp no 3 dot 20 in 2040 gm.jpg

Last edited:

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Damn, those all sound great CW that's a nice 20 weight, keep us posted. I have one coming on Wednesday that I picked up here, and arranged to keep a 20 Trans Stamp I was going to sell for a guy.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That's a great weight for a 20 trans Sinclair. Should sound great for you. 1-3 rivets should give it plenty of sizzle and not choke it very much.

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks I thought it was the crack that was choking the sustain but now that you mention it I think you're right, probably the 8 rivets. It already sound pretty good but will experiment when I get it back from Heather.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just commandeered this 20 riveted Trans Stamp. 1878g. A crack from one of the 8 rivet holes that Heather Stein will notch out next week.
That's a beauty. Love the burnished finished.
Can't wait to hear your thoughts.
Has that thing been polished or cleaned?

owr

Reaction score
Nice Sinclair, looks like a great one. I agree, lose some (most) of those rivets and set that thing free. A nice 20" in that weight range is the last hole in my TS collection. I dropped the purity awhile back and picked up a small stamp that is thin, brilliant and stiff that has done better for me than any 20" trans Ive found, so largely stopped looking. But your's looks great. Seems the brilliant 20s I see are typically a little meatier.

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Purity test...lol. You have great cymbal ears my friend. No doubt that Small Stamp is a killer. Hope so cause I have one coming on Wednesday. 20" 1804g I got here from Aaron. Fingers crossed.

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That's the one 60's 3 dot. 2496g's. Very smooth rock ride is the way I think of it. A bit dark even. None of the harsh highs well balanced and a (large) great bell. I traded a mediocre snare for it years ago. Looks like an early 3 dot to me.
21A.jpg

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
Just got my latest set of 50's A's in on Saturday - trans stamps 15 hats paper thin (745/795), 18 crash thin (1410 gm), and 20 ride medium (2225 gm). As it turned out the seller found a fine edge crack on the ride just as it was being packaged up. So the price of the 20 was heavily adjusted downward. Good thing too, because the edges of that one are wavy/dented all around - from heavy hits. It could be affecting the sound as this 20 is a bit harsh or "evil" when crashing....not the mellow darkness we all prefer to hear. The hats and 18 crash are good though. Overall, typical trans stamps, nothing magical though. The hi hats are excellent individual crashes. As a pair of hats they are pretty good and typical. For being a medium thin 1410 gm, the 18 crash "sounds" a lot thinner...more like 1300-1350 gm. It would fit best with a paper thin set of trans stamps that have a bit dryer and duller sound.

For my father's day "present" I found a 20" mid-50's, "no 3 dot" large stamp (2045 gm) today for a nice price. Be here in a week or so. Looks to be pretty original. I don't own an example of this stamp yet, so I'm curious how it compares to my other "3 dot" large stamps. While it's not a rigorous study, I seem to run into the "no 3 dot" large stamps a lot less often than the "hollow block" or "3 dot" versions. I'm sure Zenstat would have some interesting comments on that.

View attachment 447612
Do the trans stamps 15 hats sizzle or are they sloshy when played slightly open at those weights?

Latest posts