57 years ago tonight

m_anderson

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sunday night, we were all gathered around Granny and Poppy's television. Much of the family didn't have a television yet.

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
in "700 Sundays" Billy Crystal mentions the dark cloud that fell on him when his dad suddenly died a few months earlier -- but on Feb 9 1964, some light broke through.

I'm with NobleCooleyNut - I could not take my eyes off of Ringo and those gleaming Ludwigs. I was two weeks short of eleven. After that night, there was nothing else I wanted except a (Ludwig) drum kit and to have that much fun sitting behind it. (Took me 2.5 years to save up the money to get that first kit)

And since my own dad had died suddenly only two weeks before the Beatles arrived -- I can vouch for Billy Crystal's experience. That music and that moment was when I knew that despite everything, life was going to go on.

Last edited:

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
my younger brother and I had a portable B&W TV in our bedroom.we were watching the WWorld of Disney when our mom came in.
she told us to come into the living room to see something that was "very important" on television.we were bugged but she insisted so we did.
no sooner did we sit in the front of the TV that Ed introduced The Beatles.to say seeing them then made an impression on me for life is an understatement.
I was 7 years old.
I was at my cousins house, they were older than me. I was pissed also because I wanted to watch Disney, their house, their tv, I’m eternally grateful!

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I doubt that I'd be here typing this if I hadn't been parked in front of the TV on that particular evening . A really big 'shoe' , folks .

Targalx

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't think they had Betamax VCR back then
Nope, they sure didn't. Betamax didn't become popularized in consumer tech until the late 1970s and was gone from the consumer market about a decade later (but remained as a professional format).

And the Beatles are already famous, BTW! Haha!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
8 years old
I didn't miss it
but barely do I remember it
I remember being in the living room- very close to the black and white- TV- but can't put what I saw- into the picture much.

what made "the impression" on me was four years earlier.
thru the ears

My mom did it..
4 years old
I was Standing in a crib
Elvis
that right there
She (she would have been 29) may have been dancing and singing to it on the radio whilst folding clothes.
It's no wonder I'm so well-adjusted..

: )

dude I was (got experienced got impressed) pre- Beatles
so thankful for that
and I play Gretsch
no supra no black oyster
and some WFL

it all lines up
Elvis was my first
and I think the Ink Spots

they played at my dad's nightclub when I was 2
and I remember bits of that place

Last edited:

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was a couple of months past my third birthday so I missed it, but I sure felt their influence by the following year and ever since. As I’ve said many times, I owe my career to Ringo and The Beatles. I’m glad I was able to tell him.

View attachment 484144
I really think you should tell him again on From my drum room... ;)

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I was born in 1970 so obviously a no go from me. I have watched it numerous times though and even all these years later I can totally understand how some of you guys must have felt watching this for the first time. Not only was Ringo a great player, he had personality that fit right in with the other guys. I truly believe with all my heart that the Beatles would not have done what they did if some other drummer was there. That goes for any Beatle. They needed all four of them to make it what it was.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
yea there was no question they were four equals.
same suit same tie same shoes Only their faces were different same hair..

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I was just two at the time so I don't remember watching that particular show (although I probably did since my parents watched Ed religiously) but I do recall that the Beatles were an omnipresent "thing" during my entire childhood. One of the three big bees of the 60s for me...the Beatles, Bond, & Batman.

cwdrums

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes sirreee parked in front of the boob tube with grandparents, mom, cousins and aunt and uncle. I occasionally have the opportunity to drive by my grandparents old house and the first thing I think about was that night and the pool in the back yard :) Almost nine years old at the time but etched in my memory.
Coy

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
I remember it, we were all glued to the tv, something else for sure, next big thing was color TV.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was face planted in front of my screen. Ten years old and very impressionable.
I’m on a serious Beatles fest lately, reading everything I can on them. Last thing I read (actually listened on Audible) was the Peter Asher book Beatles A to Zed.

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was 4 years old. The only music I knew was Christmas & nursery rhymes. Beatles supposedly were seen by 73 million that night over a population of 197 million, so 37% of Americans saw them. That's an incredible marketing feat.

MusicianMagic

Reaction score
Whether intentional or not you all gave out your age :laughing6:

Being most of America only had only 3 or 4 channels at the time, its not difficult to see how more than a third were watching a single show :compress: