59' J-Fest Duco For My 59' Clubbies!

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Hi All,

My New Year's kick off project this year was a 1959 transition badge Club Date kit that was in pretty rough condition when it arrived. Here is a link for anybody who wants to see what these drums looked like in the 'Before' photos.

http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/topic/43856-1959-wfl-3-piece-club-date-trans-badge-kit/

(go to pages 6, 7 to see photos of the kit after the restoration work.)

The set is a 9"x13", 12"x 15", 12"x20" gem of a clubbie kit. The thing sounds awesome and just drips mojo. The only thing missing was a matching jazzfest snare.

Well, now I got one!

Things are still flying back and forth so I don't expect to have the drum in my hands for at least a week, but I can't wait to get at it. It's going to need to be painted to match the kit. (see below) but once the shell is re-done and all the hardware is polished and buffed, it'll be a new drum with a second life as a part of this really special little kit. I'll keep everybody posted through this thread as I work on the drum. Most guys are really interested in the paint job. This time I'll take pictures of the process so everybody can see how it's done and how great it turns out. (Now I better not f-up! lol)

Here's a photo of the j-fest. Consider it the 'before' photo. When I'm done with this puppy it'll be a whole new drum.

John

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
well done john. this ought to be fun. that will complete you in a great way i think. plus, the chaster gets to keep his beauty now as well.

mike

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
well done john. this ought to be fun. that will complete you in a great way i think. plus, the chaster gets to keep his beauty now as well.

mike
Chaz is the best. I know how much he loves his snare collection, yet he generously offered me a shot at of of his gems. I would have jumped on it with both feet but it was just a bad time for me and Bev and I couldn't justify the expense. That's why I'm so happy to find this one. It was affordable for me, perfect for the kit and with the potential to be a little gem of my own. That drum is going to clean up to be a real treat.

Psych - Oh trust me, I know what I'm in for sound-wise. Trans badge j-fest... I'm itching to play it already.

John

cdlaine

DFO Star
Reaction score
John,

Beautiful piece of Ludwig history there.... should make

an excellent addition to your kit... well done.

Make it sing !

Peace Chas

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
> Make it sing !

You can bet the farm on it! And thanks for everything, Chaz. You're a class act.

John

69OysterBlue

DFO Master
Reaction score
Beautiful kit - they almost look too good to play!

Should be spectacular with the restored snare in the mix.

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
The deal is done... drum on the way shortly!
Pix when it arrives...

John

PS - Pat! Man, I'm so sorry I missed your call. Me and Bev were out running errands. Please try me again during the week if you can. J

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
J-fest arrived today! Thank you EB.

It looks just like the photo above so I didn't take any 'arrival' shots. In fact, the shell is already stripped down and ready for paint prep. I'll take some pix later when it's all ready to be painted. All that's left to do is a very careful badge removal and I can start to sand the surface smooth. I'm psyched. Couldn't ask for a better rainy-day project!

Off to the races... stay tuned, it'll be over before you know it.

John

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Can't wait to see the finished product! I should send my blue/silver to you for a rehab.

It's a job you can do for yourself. Not hard at all if you have an old turn-table laying around and a steady hand. It's actually a fun project du-ing Duco! Here's the 'How to.'

http://www.drumforum...home-made-duco/

> [font="tahoma][size="2"]Nice getting a matching transition badge edition![/size][/font]
[font="tahoma][size="2"]
[/size][/font]

[font="tahoma][size="2"]You bet! Everything came together for this purchase; the opportunity, the right drum, and the right price. The stars don't always align themselves like that to make something 'easy.' But this was easy and as smooth a transaction as you could ask for. It was just meant to be part of my 59' reborn/born-again kit.[/size][/font]
[font="tahoma] [/font][/color]
[color="#474747"][font="tahoma][size="2"]Stay tuned! The fur will start to fly shortly.[/size][/font]

[font="tahoma] [/font][/color]
[color="#474747"][font="tahoma][size="2"]John[/size][/font]

jbonzo1

DFO Master
Reaction score
"It's a job you can do for yourself. Not hard at all if you have an old turn-table laying around and a steady hand. It's actually a fun project du-ing Duco!"

John, not with my eyes!

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Ok, here's an update for the doods and doodettes who may be interested in how to du-DUCO. The shell has been cleaned, sanded, primed, sanded and finished with 00-00 steel wool. The surface of the shell is smooth as glass to the touch. I set-up the turn-table painting rig and sprayed on the gold stripe. (See photos)

Tomorrow, the first coat of the Hunter Green will be added followed by sanding with 00-00 steel wool. Then I'll repeat that sequence two more times in order to have three coats of paint on the shell. Multiple light coats with steel wool sanding in-between each coat gives a deep, rich color finish when it's done.

Stay tuned, more to come.

John

Purdie Shuffle

Quizat Haderach
Reaction score
Ok, three coats later...

Assembly tonight! Photos tomorrow!

I was nervous about painting a snare drum because the shell is so thin. I think I nailed it though!

John

Latest posts